Towels for use by the pool

Limeybird

On Royal Caribbean you are given two different kinds of towels - white ones for the bathroom, and slightly larger, differently textured ones for use at the pool. Just keep track of your towel - you can trade it in at a station near the pool for a clean/dry one, but if you lose it (or take it home), they can charge you for it!

HAL has mountains of towels near the gangway that you can take ashore with you. Honor system ... no sign-out/check-in for the towels. Guess they don't come up too short on the towel count. Also, there are towels at the onboard pools, and I suppose some passengers take those with them on a port day. On these boards I've read comments that some people like to bring their own towel from home, as the cruiseline ones are pretty fluffy ... and slow to dry and heavy when wet.

On Oceania they have tons of towels on the pool deck for you to use. And for excursions/tours, they have huge stacks of blue beach-type towels for you to pick up and take with you and leave in the same place upon your return at the gangway.

Ooooops ... I was thinking port days rather than onboard pool areas. My answer was not appropriate to your question. Guess I was doing some creative reading between the lines. Sorry.

Hi Limey, and welcome to the boards.:) It helps if you say which cruiseline, so you'll get answers specific to that line.

On the Carnival ships I've been on, the white towels in your cabin are for cabin use only. There will be large blue towels in the cabin - but these are for taking on shore. On deck, there is a towel attendant who will give you a large towel for use on deck, and you return it when you leave the deck.

And yes, should you lose a towel, your account will be charged $22.

I take my own cheapie thin beach towels for use on shore. The Carnival towels are so huge they would take up all the room in my tote bag. Taking my own is easier, and I don't have to worry about that $22.:D

Since we still don't know the OP's cruiseline -

Celebrity has towels by the pool for you to use poolside. They are yellow, stacked in racks poolside, and you take them as needed and drop the used ones in the bin.

They also provide beach towels for you to take ashore - but they must be returned otherwise you will be charged for them. The beach towels (1 per person) appear in your cabin the night before your first port. Once you use it, you will get a clean one that night. The beach towels are removed after your last port stop.

• 2 weeks later...

Princess has blue and white striped pool towels. They are delivered to your cabin (and you should bring them back to your cabin). You can take them with you ashore.

The blue and white stripes make it easy to spot fellow cruisers at the beach. ;)

You will get bath towels for your cabin.

On deck you find big bins & stations with pool towels. Take them, use them, then drop them in the wet towel return bin (or leave them on a chair if you are lazy) when you are done.

On port days you can sign out towels but you will be charged $20+ if you don't return them.

Some people bring / buy towels so they can find theirs in a sea of identical towels. There is rarely a good play to dry them in your cabin & they may become unpleasant after a few days. :o

You will get bath towels for your cabin.

On deck you find big bins & stations with pool towels. Take them, use them, then drop them in the wet towel return bin (or leave them on a chair if you are lazy) when you are done.

On port days you can sign out towels but you will be charged $20+ if you don't return them.

Some people bring / buy towels so they can find theirs in a sea of identical towels. There is rarely a good play to dry them in your cabin & they may become unpleasant after a few days. :o

Trish - what line are you describing where you have to sign towels out?

Your don't sign towels out on Celebrity on port days. Beach towels magically appear in your stateroom the night before your first port and replaced after each use (actually delivered by the room steward when he turns down the bed). However if they are not in your stateroom the night after the last port, you will find a charge on your account.

What about royal carribean? do you get towels for excursions? and what about the pool towels, are they in the room or on pool deck? I'm a first time cruiser.

Take your pool towel on your excursion (just be sure to bring it back! :) )

Pool towels will be in your room - if they're not there by the time you need them, just ask your stateroom attendant.

Our attendant was very good about replacing the used towels if we left them on the bathroom floor with the other used towels.

All of them if you want to take the towel off the ship. On board only is no problem.

No, not all lines require a sign-out if you're taking towels off the ship. Seems HAL operates a unique honor system ... as we have never signed for any towels when going ashore. We simply take a towel from the mountains of them near the egress area. And, we put it in the wet/dirty towel bin when we reboard. Guessing HAL must get all or most of them back or they'd change their policy.

Archived