Great Danger with European River Cruises

Hlitner

I, too, noticed the lack of security on our river cruise last summer, AND I LOVED IT! Instead of metal detectors, strip searches, documents checked ten times, all to give an illusion of security, you simply walked aboard your ship, just like the good old days. I even explored one of the other ships that was nested next to ours. The reality is that river boats are not a particularly attractive terrorist target, given their non-US registry, small size and international crews and passengers. Let's just enjoy one of the last remnants of relaxed vacations without the paranoia that is everywhere these days.

I, too, noticed the lack of security on our river cruise last summer, AND I LOVED IT! Instead of metal detectors, strip searches, documents checked ten times, all to give an illusion of security, you simply walked aboard your ship, just like the good old days. I even explored one of the other ships that was nested next to ours. The reality is that river boats are not a particularly attractive terrorist target, given their non-US registry, small size and international crews and passengers. Let's just enjoy one of the last remnants of relaxed vacations without the paranoia that is everywhere these days.

It's so WONDERFUL to know there's others out there that look at it the same way I do! That's EXACTLY how I feel. "Just like to good old days" took the words right out of my mouth.:) :)

I was once told by an expert in such matters that the only effective counter terrorism measures are those which are inherently invisible: intelligence, informants and infiltration.

Visible security measures, like armed guards and intrusive searches of travellers, give the illusion of security by hassling the innocent. They keep the politicians happy, become a self-perpetuating industry and in some cases can increase the risk. (I really hope that some of the teenaged armed guards I saw in Egypt were not issued with ammunition for their automatic weapons.)

Well, it's a point of view which not everyone will agree with... In my opinion we should get on with our lives.

You are CLEARLY correct! It is the "illusion of security!" If we would devote the resources being expended on the "illusion" to the other "four i's" that you mentioned they would be of far greater value than the folly that we now see in the airports.

Clarence:)

How can you possibly NOT feel threatened when you have to travel with armed guards? That is like traveling with a bulls eye on your forehead.:eek:

Sadly, we (us, that is) are getting accustomed to the security.

Ever since D. B. Cooper.

We board an airplane for an International Flight and there are probably two Air Marshals aboard. A pilot friend mentioned this.

We board an airplane for a Domestic Flight and there is a good probability

one Air Marshall is aboard.

In 2005, we were in China and Viet Nam. There was a heavy presence of armed police and military in both countries.

Last summer we toured France and Germany by Euro Train.

While going between Paris and Frankfort, some folks got onto our coach.

They started talking excitedly to folks already in our coach

Seems that the German Government arrested two people who planned on

putting bombs on the trains !!

We went to Baumholder, Germany to visit our daughter, son-in-law and

grand daughters at the Army Base.

Saw armed civilian guards, spike strips, machine gun nests, armored cars, etc.

Visited Ecuador last Fall. Armed guards at the Hotel and at the Restraunts in Quito.

So, if we felt threatened by any of the fore going; then, I dare say, we would bolt our doors and pull down blackout curtains.

As one of the posters stated: "We have nothing to fear, but fear itself".

Can't recall who first said that - Was it Winny?

(I really hope that some of the teenaged armed guards I saw in Egypt were not issued with ammunition for their automatic weapons.)

quote]

Rather amusing story about the armed guards in Egypt.

Our boat was at the Dock; two boats were tied along side of us.

Well, one morning I woke up about 4:30 A.M.; DW was still making Zs.

Went and got a cup of coffee and went up to the Sun Deck.

Back aft, I saw six guys sleeping !!! The two "guards" from each boat.

Finally, about 5:00 A.M. one awoke and woke the others.

They saw me smiling and shaking my head.

One of them jumps up, pulls the Tarp off of the Machine Gun and says -

" I can take a picture of the Gun for One Dollar".

Shook my head and went to get another cup of coffee.

Just returned from our first river cruise Budapest to Amsterdam and while my DH was quite aware of the lack of security and remarked on it, he is probably more the worrier and caretaker in our family. However I loved the relaxed atmosphere, caring staff aboard, congeniality of our passengers, the easy going native residents; all in all it was "an excellent adventure".

We did guided tours at every stop, broken into groups of 15 or so, but without those local residents to share their knowledge and lore of their towns, we would not have been able to learn all we did. Even so we had plenty of extra time to go off on our own, armed with maps and information from our ship, and it was a joy to mix with the locals, buy in the markets and shops, especially enjoy the outdoor bar/cafe scene, and walk freely about in those many old medieval towns.

Give me an old town square, friends having a meal or coffee or drink, a summer evening, or even under an umbrella in a light rain, how much better can it get? Often our American towns have nothing to compare with this old world setting, so let's enjoy it where we can.

Amen! Well said my friend!!

Archived