Anchorage to Whittier transport (Princes Cruise)

czczcz

Hello:

We are paying $73 for transport, which i assume is from Anchorage to Whittier where the ship is docked. However, I can't find where the bus loads, in Anchorage, and at what time (in relation to the cruise---9:30P beginning). Any advice?

Thanks.

I had the same question - so I called Princess. Bus boards starting at 11 am at the airport. We are flying in a day earlier and they suggested we just cab back to airport. If we had booked hotel through them they provide transportation back to Airport. Princess also said that they provide a waiting area. Hope this helps!

I'm confused. My internet agent said the transfers from Anchorage to Whittier were $55 per person. I read on a forum that you meet at a central location and then are bussed to the train station. I thought I'd go on an earlier train so I didn't buy the transfers. Please tell me about your transfers. Thanks.

Egan Center is the downtown location used for pick up by some cruise lines. What mode is the $73 for? Bus or rail?? You can direct book Alaska RR for $49 leaves at 10am. Some hotels will shuttle your there. There are some independent shuttle options that other's on this board have found as well.

The other question that should be considered is how to get from train station to ship in Whittier which I have read is, at least, 1/2 mile or more. If you take the ship transfer I'll bet they will have some sort of transportation to complete the trip. If, however, you make your own train reservations I wonder how that would work out? Whittier, pretty small, probably few cabs if any. Normally 1/2 mile no big deal but with many suitcases maybe a bigger problem!!

www.geocities.com/warrnhu/wars/knight8.gif

Cunard Princess 9/83

Big Red Boat 10/95

Conquest 3/03

Spirit 8/04

I searched for alternative transfers. The train is $49 per person (plus taxi to train station and to ship). Aurora Limo was the same from the hotel to the ship and I recall they left Anchorage at 1:30PM. Alaska Tour and Travel seems to have a morning tour for $52 and just a transfer for $40. I haven't called them to find out the specifics except that they leave in the morning (I want a morning departure). I've decided to wait to book the transfer/shuttle until I learn how early I can board the ship this season.

• 3 months later...

Options for transfers to Whittier are many. The Princess transfer leaves form either the Egan Center or the airport. Departure times are based on when you arrive, but the earliest departures are from the Egan which coincide with the 12:30pm embarkation start in Whittier. Really no hurry, as there is many good things to see in downtown Anc. I would suggest touring Anc until mid afternoon, then taking transfer from the airport to Whittier with Princess. You could even take a shuttle from the Egan to the airport to catch the mtc transfer down to Whittier. You can drop off your bags earlier at the Egan and they'll head on their way before you leave via truck direct to the ship. Also the peak lines for check in are from 12:30pm - 2:30pm, after that is smoot sailing and short lines if at all.:)

I did the train and the train drops you off steps from the terminal in WHittier. Not only was the train cheaper (51), but very scenic and you did not have to wait in the bus lines. I'd recommend this! My train left ANC downtown at 10 and I was on the ship by 1.

• 5 months later...
I did the train and the train drops you off steps from the terminal in WHittier. Not only was the train cheaper (51), but very scenic and you did not have to wait in the bus lines. I'd recommend this! My train left ANC downtown at 10 and I was on the ship by 1.

Just to clarify what you mean by "terminal" are you saying that if we take the train we will not need to taxi from train to ship in Whitier? We'll be traveling with my parents in their mid-70's after a week or so land trip.

I searched for alternative transfers. The train is $49 per person (plus taxi to train station and to ship). Aurora Limo was the same from the hotel to the ship and I recall they left Anchorage at 1:30PM. Alaska Tour and Travel seems to have a morning tour for $52 and just a transfer for $40. I haven't called them to find out the specifics except that they leave in the morning (I want a morning departure). I've decided to wait to book the transfer/shuttle until I learn how early I can board the ship this season.

Aurora Limo offers a narrative tour down to the ship. If there is game along the way, they will pull over and let you take pitures. You must realize that the train tunnel has a schedule to meet. if you miss the opening of the tunnel , you will sit at the tunnel , looking at a mountain for an hour , until the next tunnel opening. this is why Aurora leaves later. The tunnel is closed from 12:30pm until 2;pm to go through because of the train. The ship usually does no board until noon, and the luggage containers are not usually accessible until then. Have you visited Aurora website, or given then a call to discuss any options. They got a member of the month from the visitors center, so evendentually they are doing things right.

Just to clarify what you mean by "terminal" are you saying that if we take the train we will not need to taxi from train to ship in Whitier? We'll be traveling with my parents in their mid-70's after a week or so land trip.

The train stops abpout a 150' walk from the terminal. If it rains you will get wet.

Archived