Taking food and drink off the ship

JackSledge

I am taking a Mediteranean Cruise in a few weeks. The weather is hot and I was thinking about carrying a camelback with water in it when I get off the ship. Then I thought.... maybe I could pack some snacks along also.

Someone asked me if we would be allowed to do that since some customs regulations probably prohibit bringing food, plants, etc. into their countries.

Has anybody ever done this or is it allowed?

Thanks in advance.

I am taking a Mediteranean Cruise in a few weeks. The weather is hot and I was thinking about carrying a camelback with water in it when I get off the ship. Then I thought.... maybe I could pack some snacks along also.

Someone asked me if we would be allowed to do that since some customs regulations probably prohibit bringing food, plants, etc. into their countries.

Has anybody ever done this or is it allowed.

Thanks in advance.

Water, yes. Food for the most part, no. Pre-packaged (by the factory not by you) food such as chips, crackers, etc, will be OK in most countries. Fruit is a big no, no. Information will be available everyday in your daily Patters and usually they will make announcements through the PA system.

Not a good idea to take any food off the ship at ports. Most of the governments of the islands have strict rules against this, and we as visitors should respect them. Any prepackaged snack like crackers, nuts, small boxes of cereal - all ok. Definitely no meats, vegetables or fruit.

On all our Med cruises(6), it was in the daily newsletter not to take any food, except things like factory-packaged foods, off the ship. They even made announcements over the PA that taking food off the ship was prohibited.

Taking water ashore is a good idea. But you may be surprised to learn that most countries in Europe have shops, bars, and restaurants that also serve liquids.

Although scientists recently discovered that humans can survive several hours without eating, the Europeans do have a few restaurants and shops selling food in case of emergency.

We always fill our platapusses with water before we leave the ship. And we always take pre-packaged snack crackers with us. Would never think about taking food from the Lido off the ship as it is not pre-packaged. never have had a problem in any port any anywhere.

Archived