Princess shuttle Talkeetna to McKinley Princess Lodge

40yearcruiser

We will be arriving in Talkeetna on the train from Denali (Princess cruisetour) about 4:40 p.m. and leaving from there at 4:40 p.m. the next day to go to Anchorage. My question is whether Princess runs multiple shuttles between Talkeetna and the McKinley lodge. We would like to have some time to look around Talkeetna but can't find anything that gives a shuttle schedule. Anyone with experience here?

We will be arriving in Talkeetna on the train from Denali (Princess cruisetour) about 4:40 p.m. and leaving from there at 4:40 p.m. the next day to go to Anchorage. My question is whether Princess runs multiple shuttles between Talkeetna and the McKinley lodge. We would like to have some time to look around Talkeetna but can't find anything that gives a shuttle schedule. Anyone with experience here?

I had the same question about a month ago, and Budget Queen suggested calling the lodge directly when it opened (estimated at that time at about May 15). I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I'm going to do it pretty soon. We have the same dilemma - want to do something other than sit in our room at the lodge and walk nearby trails. Wife has vetoed the McKinley Summit flight :(, so now looking for something else.

Sam

Sam, I took BQ's (and your) advice and phoned the lodge. The shuttle runs several times a day every hour to hour and a half. Since we arrive on the 4:40 p.m. train there will be a shuttle at 5:30, 6:30, 7, and 9 if we want to stay that evening. The shuttles start running the next morning at 7 a.m. There is no charge for the shuttle for lodge guests. Now I need to research what to do in Talkeetna!

Flightseeing is a real highlight and if they still have room, two companies offer 2-for-1 in the Toursaver coupon book.

I think I heard of others doing rafting or canoeing or some water activity as well. The town itself easily deserves several hours just to walk around in and enjoy. Also, probably cheaper, better and more authentic local food in Talkeetna than at the McKinley lodge. Roadhouse and Latitudes seem to be mentioned a lot on this board. I liked the Roadhouse last year (breakfast and lunch, though a limited menu was very good). I am planning on trying Latitudes this summer.

There are quite a few other tours besides flightseeig offered from the Lodge (we are doing Tokosha Homestead) or you can arrange some tours in Talkeetna.. The Princess website lists the activities available. We are staying bec. we want to and it's out of the way but have a car so can be more flexible.. We are doing tour we are doing bec. it was recommended by a friend who did it and we weren't interested in flightseeing but wanted to see some of the south end of Denali.

• 11 years later...

Has anyone taken the "turn train" trip from Talkeetna? If so, was there ample time to get to the train station and return to the lodge on the shuttle? Seems like it might be crowded if everyone wanted to go into town on the same day.

Thanks,

Chris & Teresa, rookie cruisers

Has anyone taken the "turn train" trip from Talkeetna? If so, was there ample time to get to the train station and return to the lodge on the shuttle? Seems like it might be crowded if everyone wanted to go into town on the same day.

Thanks,

Chris & Teresa, rookie cruisers

Start your own specific question. You’re linked to an old post. You’re referring to the Hurricane run?

Sam, I took BQ's (and your) advice and phoned the lodge. The shuttle runs several times a day every hour to hour and a half. Since we arrive on the 4:40 p.m. train there will be a shuttle at 5:30, 6:30, 7, and 9 if we want to stay that evening. The shuttles start running the next morning at 7 a.m. There is no charge for the shuttle for lodge guests. Now I need to research what to do in Talkeetna!

Your info about the times of the shuttle are correct but there is a charge for the shuttle of $10 pp going from lodge to Talkeetna. There is no charge on the way from Talkeetna to the lodge as that is built into the $10 charge. I just returned from there in the beginning of June. You can either buy a ticket to go on the shuttle inside or you can just pay the traffic director outside before you get on the bus. When you first arrive from the train, you will not be charged for the ride to the lodge. Walk around Talkeetna - it is a cute town and you might prefer to eat there - you can safely walk on the roadway - there is a safe area to do that and not really much traffic!