Walkie Talkie help

We leave in July for our Mariner cruise. Will have 4 teens with us and I refuse to do this without some way to be in touch with kids, especially at night.

Can anyone tell me, is there a certain type (exactly) of walkie talkie that I should be looking into? Do some work out at sea and others don't? In other words, what exactly do I ask the store for and can you tell me what store (or kind of store) to ask for these? :confused:

Question #2. Has anyone rented Dect phones? How available are they? RCC is of NO help when I call them. They basically have no info for me other than first come, first serve for these phones you rent on the ship.

I don't want to depend on thinking i can rent one of these and end up with nothing at all. :mad:

Question #3. Is there any other sort of phone I can buy for these 4 teens, other than a walkie talkie which I am afraid my too-cool-for-their-own-good kids and cousins will not be using since everyone can hear conversations who are nearby, and it is embarrassing to carry around at night - esp at teen disco. :cool:

Thanks for the help on this - I could really use some! :o

My recommendation is for Motorola brand, 8 mile range or better. (the longer the range, the clearer it will transmit through all the steel framework on the ship). Can be purchased in many stores, best bet would probably be something like RadioShack. Plus they will be great if anyone in your group splits up when in port. We have used them onboard without problems. And they usually have lots of channels with subchannels, so you can find a channel that isn't being used to death.

As for the DECT phones, they only work on the ship to call other DECT phones or extensions on board. I was told the cost runs about $50 for the week for EACH phone, and yes they are firstcome first served. If you need four or five for your family, you had better be the first one to hit the purser's desk for them, as they are very limited and go extrmely quick.

Also, I believe you can rent satellite phones (outside companies.) that would work sort of like a cross between DECTs and walkie talkies. Coudn't tell you though where to even try.

The Motorolas the previous poster recomended are very good. Keep in mind that so many people carry these things, your walkie-talkies will sound like the tower at O'Hare airport. Everyone trying to talk over each other. So, even if your buy/bring them onboard, you may want to make the extra effort to get to the pursers desk and secure some of the ships phones.

you can also use the phones in the rooms and the hall ways to communicate.

we would have our teen check in at a certain time to let us know of there location. if we wasn't in the room, they can leave a message on the phone, and you can retreive it from any phone on the ship

We leave in July for our Mariner cruise. Will have 4 teens with us and I refuse to do this without some way to be in touch with kids, especially at night.

Can anyone tell me, is there a certain type (exactly) of walkie talkie that I should be looking into? Do some work out at sea and others don't? In other words, what exactly do I ask the store for and can you tell me what store (or kind of store) to ask for these? :confused:

Question #2. Has anyone rented Dect phones? How available are they? RCC is of NO help when I call them. They basically have no info for me other than first come, first serve for these phones you rent on the ship.

I don't want to depend on thinking i can rent one of these and end up with nothing at all. :mad:

Question #3. Is there any other sort of phone I can buy for these 4 teens, other than a walkie talkie which I am afraid my too-cool-for-their-own-good kids and cousins will not be using since everyone can hear conversations who are nearby, and it is embarrassing to carry around at night - esp at teen disco. :cool:

Thanks for the help on this - I could really use some! :o

We used Motorola walkie talkies too. I can't recall the specific type, but we have many channels, and a weather channel. Only once did we pick up another person, and that was from another ship docked next to us in port. We actually had fun chatting with them.

We rented dect phones on NOS....$25 each (we had 2)....but dont damage them or they charge you up to $300!!!:eek:

We sometimes got other people on the end of the line even when we were defintely calling the correct number. Mine didnt always work either but they were very useful and we used them probably more than we thought we would...

you can also use the phones in the rooms and the hall ways to communicate.

we would have our teen check in at a certain time to let us know of there location. if we wasn't in the room, they can leave a message on the phone, and you can retreive it from any phone on the ship

We were planning on having our son do this but hadn't realized we would be able to retrieve his messages anywhere on the ship. Thanks for posting that information, maybe we won't make him carry a dect phone after all.

Hi fellow cruiser.

Agree with posters on Motorola units with at least 5 mile range. Make sure you get ones with the standard chanels but also the Sub Chanels. instaed of using the standard chanels that are always full you go to one that is used less then add a sub that has many to choose from. This will be our 27th cruise in November and have used on Celebrity,Carnival,Norwegian, And RC.

Bob & Nancy The Villages Florida

Hi fellow cruiser.

Agree with posters on Motorola units with at least 5 mile range. Make sure you get ones with the standard chanels but also the Sub Chanels. instaed of using the standard chanels that are always full you go to one that is used less then add a sub that has many to choose from. This will be our 27th cruise in November and have used on Celebrity,Carnival,Norwegian, And RC.

Bob & Nancy The Villages Florida

Thanks Bob and/or Nancy, sub channels is what I was trying to remember when I made my post. They work very well, so many channels to choose. We use ours at the lake, sporting events etc. they come in handy a lot.

Archived