Vancouver to Victoria

I believe the only or best way to get there is ferry. Is that true and does anyone have a website where I can find schedules and costs of the ferry? Thanks

Marilee

We got off the cruise ship and there is a small water plane service beside the ship terminal at BC place. It drops you off downtown Victoria and you can walk to your Hotel or any where downtown from there. It lands right in the center of Victoria city waterside.

We were going to rent a car in Vancouver and take it over to Victoria. Does that could like a good idea or not? That way we will have the car in VIctoria to go to Buchart Gardens and anywhere else. I assume the ferry takes cars, is that correct? Anyone know the costs?

Marilee

Here's the link to the BC Ferries website:

http://www.bcferries.com/

The Tsawwassen terminal is located approximately 45 min - 1 hour (depending on traffic) south of Vancouver. The crossing to Swartz Bay is 1 hour and 35 minutes. Depending on what time of day and what day of the week you are crossing, you may want to consider making a reservation. I typically don't make reservations, but some people like to pay the extra $ just for peace of mind.

I'd say if you are looking at Friday afternoon, Saturday morning, Sunday evening, Monday morning sailings (especially a Statutory holiday weekend), those are the ones you'd most likely consider making a reservation. Otherwise, just arrive at the terminal at least 30 - 45 minutes before a sailing and you should be okay. Also, the odd hour sailings (7, 9, 11, etc.) have the larger Spirit ferries and they hold more cars. If you DO make a reservation, you MUST be at the terminal at least 30 minutes, but not more than 60 minutes prior to a sailing.

If you are planning on spending most of your time in Victoria, you really don't need a car, but having one does give you more freedom.

Here's the link to the BC Ferries website:

http://www.bcferries.com/

The Tsawwassen terminal is located approximately 45 min - 1 hour (depending on traffic) south of Vancouver. The crossing to Swartz Bay is 1 hour and 35 minutes. Depending on what time of day and what day of the week you are crossing, you may want to consider making a reservation. I typically don't make reservations, but some people like to pay the extra $ just for peace of mind.

I'd say if you are looking at Friday afternoon, Saturday morning, Sunday evening, Monday morning sailings (especially a Statutory holiday weekend), those are the ones you'd most likely consider making a reservation. Otherwise, just arrive at the terminal at least 30 - 45 minutes before a sailing and you should be okay. Also, the odd hour sailings (7, 9, 11, etc.) have the larger Spirit ferries and they hold more cars. If you DO make a reservation, you MUST be at the terminal at least 30 minutes, but not more than 60 minutes prior to a sailing.

If you are planning on spending most of your time in Victoria, you really don't need a car, but having one does give you more freedom.

Thank you so much. Do you need a car to get to Buchart Gardens? That was the only reason for bringing a car.

Butchart Gardens is about 20 min. north of Victoria. The Swartz Bay Ferry terminal is about 30 - 40 min. north of Victoria. If you have a car, you could easily stop at the Gardens after you get off the ferry and before you check in to your hotel. Or, you could visit the Gardens on your way back to the ferry after your stay here.

If you don't have a car, then there are tours to Butchart's from downtown Victoria. There's a double decker bus that leaves from in front of the Empress Hotel. Pacific Coach Lines also offers tours.

Another alternative is to take the local transit to the Gardens. It will take you longer, because of course you'll be stopping along the way, but it isn't as expensive and you'll be able to stay at Butchart's as long as you want, not how long the tour allows. Just in case you're interested in this option, here's the BC Transit link (scroll down the page).

http://www.bctransit.com/regions/vic/schedules/explore/attractions.cfm

Another option>

Just annouced by "Prince of Whales" check their website. Well known outfit over the years.

A number of options. Quick Whale watching tour Harbour to harbour Vancouver/Victoria. hey say they will deviate to look for whales. Bus/seaplane return option along with boat. Bus would do a stop in Butchart and then finish on BC ferry to Vancouver... Budget $$ would be only concern.

My choice would be to rent a car and stay over a night on the Island but this new tour sounds like a great option.

If you want to rent a car, call one of the local car rental places ahead of time (let's say Budget) and they can meet you at the cruise ship and take you back to their lot to pick up a car. Then you have the freedom to explore Victoria all you want.

Butchart Gardens - you can take the tour bus, or public transit (yes, it's cheaper) but it doesn't travel that often (once an hour) and it's not direct - it stops and picks people up along the way. Make sure you know the closing time of the Gardens before you get on the bus.

Hubby is a transit driver and it's amazing to him (and me) that there are folks who travel all the way up to see the Gardens with only an hour to see them before closing time. The price is about $20.00 to enter the gardens. You won't see all the Gardens in an hour.

Please check the drop-off rates to leave a car in another city; it's not always free to do so, as each company in each individual city is franchised... there may be a hefty drop off fee because then their car "sits" in a foreign city until it is rented back to them, and all the while it loses revenue. You could call the toll-free number to ask about this (every large company has a toll-free reservation center).

Also, if your only reason to have a car is to go to the Gardens, I think you might want to consider doing it another way. Cars are (in my opinion) incredibly expensive to take on the ferry. It's just so much more than one has to pay; there are other ways of doing this that would be less expensive.

Butchart Gardens is about 20 min. north of Victoria. The Swartz Bay Ferry terminal is about 30 - 40 min. north of Victoria. If you have a car, you could easily stop at the Gardens after you get off the ferry and before you check in to your hotel. Or, you could visit the Gardens on your way back to the ferry after your stay here.

If you don't have a car, then there are tours to Butchart's from downtown Victoria. There's a double decker bus that leaves from in front of the Empress Hotel. Pacific Coach Lines also offers tours.

Another alternative is to take the local transit to the Gardens. It will take you longer, because of course you'll be stopping along the way, but it isn't as expensive and you'll be able to stay at Butchart's as long as you want, not how long the tour allows. Just in case you're interested in this option, here's the BC Transit link (scroll down the page).

http://www.bctransit.com/regions/vic/schedules/explore/attractions.cfm

Thank you

Another option>

Just annouced by "Prince of Whales" check their website. Well known outfit over the years.

A number of options. Quick Whale watching tour Harbour to harbour Vancouver/Victoria. hey say they will deviate to look for whales. Bus/seaplane return option along with boat. Bus would do a stop in Butchart and then finish on BC ferry to Vancouver... Budget $$ would be only concern.

My choice would be to rent a car and stay over a night on the Island but this new tour sounds like a great option.

That could be an interesting option. Thanks

If you want to rent a car, call one of the local car rental places ahead of time (let's say Budget) and they can meet you at the cruise ship and take you back to their lot to pick up a car. Then you have the freedom to explore Victoria all you want.

Butchart Gardens - you can take the tour bus, or public transit (yes, it's cheaper) but it doesn't travel that often (once an hour) and it's not direct - it stops and picks people up along the way. Make sure you know the closing time of the Gardens before you get on the bus.

Hubby is a transit driver and it's amazing to him (and me) that there are folks who travel all the way up to see the Gardens with only an hour to see them before closing time. The price is about $20.00 to enter the gardens. You won't see all the Gardens in an hour.

Again, thanks

Please check the drop-off rates to leave a car in another city; it's not always free to do so, as each company in each individual city is franchised... there may be a hefty drop off fee because then their car "sits" in a foreign city until it is rented back to them, and all the while it loses revenue. You could call the toll-free number to ask about this (every large company has a toll-free reservation center).

Also, if your only reason to have a car is to go to the Gardens, I think you might want to consider doing it another way. Cars are (in my opinion) incredibly expensive to take on the ferry. It's just so much more than one has to pay; there are other ways of doing this that would be less expensive.

Thanks so much this is the information I was looking for.

You are most welcome. I worked in a rental car agency in Victoria for 5 years and know the stuff. Glad I could be of assistance. :)

This is an example of what makes this board so great. We have so many knowledgeable people. Thanks again.

You are most welcome. I worked in a rental car agency in Victoria for 5 years and know the stuff. Glad I could be of assistance. :)

This is an example of what makes this board so great. We have so many knowledgeable people. Thanks again.

Archived