king beds on Windstar? compare cabins to Regent?

poss

We loved our Regent cruise, but some of Windstar's itineraries have appeal for us. We do, though, need a king bed. Does Windstar have them?

Also: can someone who's sailed on both please compare cabin size on Regent and Windstar? I know that Regent's are larger, but I'm wondering just how much larger. (I know I can call and get exact square footage; I'm more interested in the "feel" of the space, I guess.) Thanks much.

I sailed on the now renamed Regent Mariner in 2001, and on the Wind spirit in March of this year. The cabins on Regent are suites with a walk in closet. They all had balconies. The Wind spirit cabin was small, nicely layed out, but small. No walk in closet. The bathroom was small. It was very tight. It's not a place one wants to hang out in. We only spent time in there to sleep and get ready to go somewhere. It's such a small ship that it's very easy to get to a common area where you can hang out and meet your friends.

We have a king sized bed at home. We did not notice that it was smaller. Perhaps it was, but it did not bother us. The bed was fine.

My memory is that Windstar's regular cabins are 188 sq. ft; Regent's Voyager and Mariner start at 250-300 sq. ft; don't have specific numbers, but the websites should help you. Brochures from both lines should give you pictures which might help you more.

I felt quite comfortable on Regent; Windstar was much more confining, especially because of its portholes versus balconies on Regent's Voyager.

Pincus

We loved our Regent cruise, but some of Windstar's itineraries have appeal for us. We do, though, need a king bed. Does Windstar have them?

Also: can someone who's sailed on both please compare cabin size on Regent and Windstar? I know that Regent's are larger, but I'm wondering just how much larger. (I know I can call and get exact square footage; I'm more interested in the "feel" of the space, I guess.) Thanks much.

• 3 weeks later...

We just sailed (Greece/Turkey) in May. I believe the bed is king size because it felt larger than the queen bed we have at home.

I have never sailed Regent, but overall Windstar is a VERY small ship, which we have decided that we do not care for. The cabins are well appointed for their size, but they are small and confining (only portholes) and not a place you want to hang out. But we found the entire ship to feel crowded. Even though there are not many passengers, there is also not much overall space, so it is almost impossible to find private space or quiet space. If you like to work out, the fitness "center", more accurately room, is cramped, with older, semi-functional equipment. The fine dining that Windstar touts was a real disappointment.

I have just submitted a lengthy review which I hope will be posted soon. I have gone into great detail there. Much to our dismay, we were not impressed with Windstar. I know many truly love these ships, but sadly, we cannot count ourselves among them.

There is something very, very special about the Windstar ships, and I love them for it...the sails, the wind, and the prospect of quiet.

However, times change, and I have changed. Now, the very small ship aspect, the porthole cabins, lack of quiet and private space, and the low ceilings in the dining room which make for a very high decibel level, are not special to me.

I do look forward to your review.

Pincus

We just sailed (Greece/Turkey) in May. I believe the bed is king size because it felt larger than the queen bed we have at home.

I have never sailed Regent, but overall Windstar is a VERY small ship, which we have decided that we do not care for. The cabins are well appointed for their size, but they are small and confining (only portholes) and not a place you want to hang out. But we found the entire ship to feel crowded. Even though there are not many passengers, there is also not much overall space, so it is almost impossible to find private space or quiet space. If you like to work out, the fitness "center", more accurately room, is cramped, with older, semi-functional equipment. The fine dining that Windstar touts was a real disappointment.

I have just submitted a lengthy review which I hope will be posted soon. I have gone into great detail there. Much to our dismay, we were not impressed with Windstar. I know many truly love these ships, but sadly, we cannot count ourselves among them.

• 4 months later...

We have had one trip on the RSSC Navigator and one on the Wind Surf. The Wind Surf 188 square room, with a porthole, does not compare to Regent. If you get a suite, at twice the size of a normal room, you have a room bigger than the average Regent room, but with no balcony or bathtub (but two showeres and two bathrooms).

The service on both lines is great. The Windstar food is better than mass cruise lines, not as good as Regent.

My recollection is that the bed is a European king, which is larger than an American queen but smaller than an American king. You may want to check with the line regarding bed size.

• 2 weeks later...

Windstar ships are big sailboats and their cabins are, well, cabins. They look and feel like cabins on a sailboat. Their bathrooms are nice but they're still 'heads'. We have had regular cabins and a suite - both have the sailboat look and feel. Regent and all the newer lines have hotel rooms. Very, very nice but they're laid out like hotel rooms. I love the little ships - I am just tired of Windstar's itineraries. Wish they'd go back to Asia or Northern Europe. The Surf is great for transatlantic crossings - loads of space to hang out and be comfy.

• 1 month later...

Wow.. I just came back from a Windstar cruise and I loved it! I have sailed on many large cruise ships, and Windstar is the way to go. I love the feel of a smaller ship. There are no crowds, no noise, no blaring disco music at the pool, and no children. It's definately not for everyone, but certainly fits my bill.

The cabins were not huge, but definately not small. They were extremely comfortable. The beds.. OMG.. they were sooooo plush. I slept like a baby.

We had more closet and drawer space than we needed. The bathrooms were not "heads"-- they were very well decorated and quite nice. They even had marble sinks.

Archived