QM2 question about Balcony Cabins B1-B7

lauderdalebob

Okay, help me out here someone. Going to book a cruise for January on QM2 and I can't figure out what gives with Balcony Cabins B1-B7. B1 & B2 DELUXE categories (near the top of the ship with glass railing you can see through) the brochure says are 248 sq. ft. and are MORE expensive than categories B-3-B7 (PREMIUM category), which are 269 sq. ft. and LESS expensive but have an in-hull balcony and are described as "panoramic in-hull balcony with loungers and tables."

I don't understand this. The larger cabin is less expensive. Has anyone seen both the in-hull balcony and the B1&2 upper balcony. Is the balcony space the same size with the same furniture? I do know to avoid the B6 as they are obstructed by lifeboats.

Can someone explain this and offer some advice on which to book? Any deck preferable over another? Thanks!

There have been several extensive threads on this subject over the past several months. If you use the advanced search feature with the terms "balcony cabin" (no quotes) and searching the Cunard forum only, you will get some of them returned.

Crouton

Hi, this is just a personal opinion on the differences. To me, the hull-balcony rooms are just that much darker, and I had the feeling of walking out into a metal box. I much prefer the glass-wall. Lets more light into the room, you can see "unobstructed" when you're lying down or seated (by "unobstructed" I am referring to the metal wall, not any other ship structure). But some folks aren't bothered that much by the solid wall. Anyway, that's why the hull-balcony is less expensive.

I'm feeling a bit 'down' this morning. We have booked a B1 on Twelve deck for our round trip next year and after reading all the comments on "Balcony Cabins" I wonder if we have just spend far more money than was necessary - after all what do we get other than what I thought was a nicer cabin and view????

Thanks Crouton for pointing me to the 'other' threads.

We stayed in a B1 balcony cabin on deck 12. The balcony wall is glass with a wood railing which allows you an open ocean view. When you walk into your cabin you have an open and more spacious feeling which we thoroughly enjoyed. You can lie back on your deck chairs and see the ocean before you. I have also been told that when you book a B1 cabin you get a better dining room table assignment.

The hull balcony has the same configuration as the other cabins but the "hull" does not let the light in thus a darker room. Also, you cannot see the ocean if you are in your deck chairs.

If your cruise is to the Caribbean I would think you might like the openness of the glass balcony.

June

Thank you June. We have booked the TransAtlantic in May/June. So I shall hope the weather is fine enough that we can enjoy the balcony.

While we enjoy the various venues on board - I, especially, like the quiet time in our cabin.

I had a B1, and friends had a B6... really it's a toss up. I liked having the glass and the light on ours... but also really liked the larger feel and more privacy of theirs. The cabins are pretty much the same otherwise. Your only other consideration is if you are at all prone to motion sickness. The higher up, the more you feel it.

The only balcony I would not take is a life boat obstructed one.

Oh dear! I had forgotten about "the higher up, the more you feel it".

I should have spent a bit more time asking questions on here before making the decision. Oh well, no point in worrying about it now - too late for that.

Thanks for you input.

The cabins are the exact same size, but the balcony will be a few sq feet larger in the "hull balconies". There are couple trade-off's though. The hull-balconies are steel enclosed, and that includes the rail. They will definitely have a more closed-in feel, and not admit as much light.

The other difference that I don't think anyone mentioned is the door leading to the balcony. In the hull-balcony cabins, the door is glass but the walls around the door are solid. In the superstructure balcony cabins, the entire wall facing the balcony is made of glass, including the door itself. As already mentioned, the rail in the superstructure balconies are also made of glass, so the balcony and cabin receive maximum light.

I was in an obstructed view balcony on deck eight. While I probably wouldn't pick this cabin type based on the rates Cunard charges, I was extremely happy in the cabin. I was upgraded from a lower category compliments of Cunard. What a nice treat and it was only my second time cruising with them. I loved the location and we actually did have a partial view. We also had the benefit of the nice balcony, fresh air, and light. I wouldn't hesitate to sail in the same cabin type again, but only if it was substantially discounted due to the obstruction.

To be honest, I would be happy in just about any cabin on QM2. They are all quite nice.

Ernie

I have found a site that shows pictures of all the cabin classes. Now as I compare B1 to B2 B6 etc. I see very little difference, except the price.

I'd gladly post the url but don't know if it would be appropriate.

If you do feel any "mal de mer"... just head on down to deck 2 (first stairway I believe) and get the shot. Forget all the other methods. The shot works wonders and works for a week. I didn't need it, but my partner gets motion sick on solid ground... we were in calm water and he was very queasy. He got the shot, and was fine.

As for motion.. it's simple physics, the higher you go the more movement you feel, but it's worse for side to side movement. You also get more movement the farther away you are from the middle, but then the up and down movements are more exaggerated (think of a see-saw - the middle does not move as the ends go way up and way down). So you would have more feeling at the bow or stern (where the night club is) in rougher seas.

Archived