Le Havre car info

We were in Le Havre for a 14 hours a couple weeks ago and had planned to rent a car from Avis and tour on our own. As luck would have it, the weather was filthy so we opted for a cab ride into town and bailed on the car rental. When we got off the ship, there was a tourist "center" about 100 yards away and there were folks there who had cars for rent, on the spot, for about 80 euros. By the time we got off, there were no attendants but I would guess that an early riser could get off the ship and scoot over and get a car and be done with it quick smart. Le Havre itself is a world heritage site - dedicated to the architect who rebuilt the city after it was bombed in WWII. He was called the father of poured concrete and some of his buildings are pretty interesting, if your tastes run to grey stone!

We have a car reserved from Avis when we're there in June. We're paying 87 euros....thought that was pretty good. Do you know what you do if you have to drop off the car after they are closed? I have the car rented until 7:30 and they close at 6:00.

Anne

We were just in LeHavre at the end of April and rented a car from budget for 64 Euros. We did not notice anyone actually renting near the pier, but that sure would have been nice. We took a taxi over to buget and picked up our car with no problems. If we had wanted to keep our car until after 6 (when they closed) we could have elected to just park the car at the rental car dealer and drop the keys through a slot. They offered help on how to get a taxi after hours (the rental car agency was in a pretty quiet part of the city. I am not sure about the other dealers, but you can always contact Avis and ask them to contact the LeHavre agency for specific info.

Hank

• 1 month later...

I rented a Hertz through Expedia.com/uk for 68 Euros including all taxes, insurance, and fee. There are two Hertz locations in Le Havre, one at the airport and one on Rue des Briquetiers which I believe is about 1 mile from where we dock. I checked Hertz and Expedia US and the same car was 88 Euros without the insurance.

The catch with the rate is that you pay upfront and there is a 25 Euro cancellation fee.

National has a location at the ferry terminal.

I assume (but do not know for sure) that this is near the cruise terminal.

The location is closed Sunday afternoons; but I would guess that there is a key drop.

Archived