What happens on a partial transit???

Boozebabe

Exactly what happens on a partial transit. I am confused. i hear about people not staying on the ship while going thru. Others are on small boats. Can someone who has taken the partial transit tell me what to expect. I cant find anything difinitive about sequence of events.

Most partial transits start from the Atlantic side and lock through one set of locks, Gatun. After locking through Gatun Locks the ship enters an anchorage in Gatun Lake where passengers who have signed up for tours are tendered ashore to waiting busses. You can't go ashore on your own here unless you have a tour purchased. One of the tours offered here is another "partial" transit of the canal, where you are bussed to Gamboa to board a "ferry". The ferry will take you through Gaillard Cut and the two Pacific locks. You are then bussed back to the Atlantic side. There are other tours that do not involve the ferry but do go to the Pacifiic Side where Panama City is.

Here's where not staying/staying on the ship comes in, once all the passengers on tours have departed the ship then locks back down Gatun Locks. Many people find staying on the ship for the down lockage just as interesting. The ship is less crowded and a lot more space at rail to take in the sights. After departing the locks the ship docks at the Cristobal piers. This where all the passengers who are tours will rejoin the ship. There is also shopping at the pier

When we did our full transit, we stayed on the ship for the duration. This time, we want to get off the ship and see some of the countryside since we're doing a partial transit.

Can a person arrange a private tour and tender ashore? Or do you have to book a ship's tour?

Thanks.

Most partial transits start from the Atlantic side and lock through one set of locks, Gatun. After locking through Gatun Locks the ship enters an anchorage in Gatun Lake where passengers who have signed up for tours are tendered ashore to waiting busses. You can't go ashore on your own here unless you have a tour purchased. One of the tours offered here is another "partial" transit of the canal, where you are bussed to Gamboa to board a "ferry". The ferry will take you through Gaillard Cut and the two Pacific locks. You are then bussed back to the Atlantic side. There are other tours that do not involve the ferry but do go to the Pacifiic Side where Panama City is.

Here's where not staying/staying on the ship comes in, once all the passengers on tours have departed the ship then locks back down Gatun Locks. Many people find staying on the ship for the down lockage just as interesting. The ship is less crowded and a lot more space at rail to take in the sights. After departing the locks the ship docks at the Cristobal piers. This where all the passengers who are tours will rejoin the ship. There is also shopping at the pier

Thank you so much. I understand much better now. An itinerary I looked at has Panama Canal 7:00 am to 3:30 pm then Cristobal from 4:00pm - 8:00 pm. It makes sense now.

When we did our full transit, we stayed on the ship for the duration. This time, we want to get off the ship and see some of the countryside since we're doing a partial transit.

Can a person arrange a private tour and tender ashore? Or do you have to book a ship's tour?

Thanks.

Normally when you do a partial transit and tender in Gatun Lake, only passengers who have booked tours through the ship are able to disembark. Since you have done a complete transit, a partial transit would be an ideal time to take in the country side.

Archived