Cruising the Triumph in September...now what do I do?

rucruizin

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I really need some help. PLEASE:o

We used to buy travel insurance for every cruise. Right after 9/11 before we left on our cruise, I pulled out my insurance policy to see what it covered. It pretty much didn't cover ANYTHING I was worried about.

I haven't purchased insurance since, and I haven't had a single problem. I did have a medical issue on my last cruise, but we were able to wait until we got back to Florida to actually seek medical attention for it....which proved to be worthless anyway.:rolleyes: But I digress.

With the upcoming cruise on the Triumph, I am thinking it might be a good idea to buy some kind of insurance. I figure if there is a hurricane inland, or approaching, the planes won't fly in...so they have to refund, or rebook...right?

Same with the cruise...right?

Well, we are still wondering if we should buy it anyway. I went to a website that gives you options, quotes, and coverages for several different companies. Now I'm more confused than ever! None of them seemed to cover what I think we might need.

What do I need to have coverage on specifically?

Exactly what is it that I should be worried about needing coverage for?

I would really appreciate any insight you could give me, thanks in advance.

Travel Insurance covers contingencies that are most likely to be of concern to any traveler. Typically, it covers flight delays that might cause you to miss your cruise, lost luggage, cancellation necessitated by an illness or death in one's family; emergency medical needs, emergency evacuation if necessary, cruise cancellation due to weather or other causes, etc. Of course, each policy is somewhat different relative to what is covered, and in what amount. I never cruise without it! Consider how you might pay for a $25,000 fee for air evacuation because of a medical problem that could occur during your cruise.

or death in one's family

We bought a very expensive all inclusive week and we bought insurance. My fiancee's father died. Since we were not married, I lost about $2K I had paid. (it was not my family the insurance said).

Ok, so cruzman? What policy do I buy, what company do I use?

Because all the policies that I looked at had some type of exclusion to most of the things you mentioned. They are only covered secondary to homeowners, health insurance, and other policies.

I have been unable to find ANY policy that cover any of these things as a primary. The technicalities add up when you look at how they get away without covering all kinds of things.

I was told by some girl at a trip insurance place..." if you buy insurance NOW, and before you go, they announce that there will be a hurricane that "might" make landfall, or interrupt your trip...it will not be covered.

So, you should wait until a week before you go and if there are no hurricane watches, or warnings, and the weather service has said, "there will be no huuricanes in the next week", and then there is a hurricane...you would be covered.":confused:

Is it just me, or is that one of the most ridiculous things you have EVER heard?

I looked at about 20 policies on that website, and when I read the details of the policy, they have created limitations that are so incredible...I don't think that anything would be covered unless I died in some horribly tragic manor, that was in no way my fault.

I need to hear from someone who has an outstanding insurance company, and has had experiences with the company, and KNOWS that all the things mentioned above...are covered.

I also have a platinum visa, and I have been told in the past that if I paid the entire trip with that visa, that there are travel insurance benefits for all, or the part of the trip that was purchased with the card. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of this?

As far as a medical evacuation...I can't even imagine??? I do know that my health insurance does have a pretty high limit for necessary evacuation, I think up to $25,000.

I know that my homeowners policy can be used for lost, damaged, or stolen property.

I know I'm asking a billion questions, but I need a billion answers to help me make my descision.

I will be leaving ABQ on Sept 14th. I fly into Denver, and then on to FLL. The cruise leaves the 15th, and returns the 22nd, but we are staying in Miami, flying out in the morning of the 23rd.

If there is a hurricane approaching, I would assume that United would not fly into FLL, correct? If they cancel their flights because the airport isn't open, doesn't that mean that I would be refunded, or rebooked on a later flight?

If we leave out of Miami, and a hurricane is approaching??? Don't they keep the ships at sea for safety? So, if the cruise can't leave without me because they can't get back to port, wouldn't the cruiseline refund my fare? If no planes are flying in, there wouldn't be anyone to get on the ship, even if it was in port? Or, if I am already in FL and the storm hits, I might have to keep my hotel for another night, or call on my buddies that live there. I would go on an abbreviated cruise, ans still be able to use my airfare to get home.

Ok, next scenario...a hurricane forms while I am already on the cruise, and I am forced to stay at sea for an extra day, or two. Again...the cruiseline isn't going to charge me extra for the extra day. Again, if the arilines can't fly in, they can't penalize me if they don't even have a plane for me to get on.

I have friends in FLL, so if I get stuck for a day, or two I can stay with them.

If all of the scenario's I just presented are correct, then how would trip insurance help me. Because if I die, my husband dies, one of my kids dies...the last thing I'm going to care about is the $1500 I just lost on a trip I can't take. AND, I know for a fact that when some people have cancelled their cruise because of a tragedy, or family death...the cruiselines have actually allowed them to use the amount they lost to be put towards a cruise at a later date.

As I sit here trying to convince myself of the need to purchase the trip insurance, I seem to be talking myself out of it at the same time.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I really need some help. PLEASE:o

We used to buy travel insurance for every cruise. Right after 9/11 before we left on our cruise, I pulled out my insurance policy to see what it covered. It pretty much didn't cover ANYTHING I was worried about.

I haven't purchased insurance since, and I haven't had a single problem. I did have a medical issue on my last cruise, but we were able to wait until we got back to Florida to actually seek medical attention for it....which proved to be worthless anyway.:rolleyes: But I digress.

With the upcoming cruise on the Triumph, I am thinking it might be a good idea to buy some kind of insurance. I figure if there is a hurricane inland, or approaching, the planes won't fly in...so they have to refund, or rebook...right?

Same with the cruise...right?

Well, we are still wondering if we should buy it anyway. I went to a website that gives you options, quotes, and coverages for several different companies. Now I'm more confused than ever! None of them seemed to cover what I think we might need.

What do I need to have coverage on specifically?

Exactly what is it that I should be worried about needing coverage for?

I would really appreciate any insight you could give me, thanks in advance.

Buy Travel guard or Travel guard lite from www.insuremytrip.com for a cruise.You need to have air purchased already to cover it.

Archived