Upgraded Stateroom for Free Question

Okay,

I have read SOOO many posts about getting free upgrades before sailing and during sailing on many different ships, including RCCL. I would like to know if anybody here has experienced it, how and why? :confused: I have read that sometimes it was because of a honeymoon, some people didn't know why, sometimes it was because of your loyalty program with them, and sometimes it was because you were able to prove you were a "local celebrity". Does anyone know what it takes to prove being a "local celebrity"?:cool:

Your imput is much appreciated and needed!

And where does everyone get the countdown clocks that they paste on their messages, listing days, hours, minutes, seconds, until they go on their next cruise??:)

Most upgrades occur with folks who book 'guarantees' vs. specific staterooms. Their cabin numbers are not assigned until closer to sailing and they can end up with any category equal to or better than their guarantee. It's far less likely to be upgraded, thought not impossible, if you book a specific stateroom number.

I have had 30 cruises and been upgraded 5 times. I usually book an assigned cabin - and some of my best upgrades (standard outside to balcony) happened when I had specific cabins booked. The why was that the line could resell my cabin so they put me into one that was not yet sold. Another time, I was with an agent who had control of lots of cabins. I was a frequent cruiser with this agency and when the cabin was still available at the point where he would have to turn it back to the line, he offered it to us. I guess I am trying to say, book something you are comfortable with and if the upgrade fairy smiles on you, then rejoice. NEVER book something that you would not enjoy with the hope of getting an upgrade.

Some sailings have NO upgrade potential. They are sold out or nearly sold out. Some sailings have some. By the way, if you don't mind parting with some money, ask while you are boarding if upgrades are available. For a relatively small amount you can sometimes get upgraded to the cabin of your dreams.

We've been upgraded once - on a HAL cruise to Alaska. First (and last) time cruising with HAL. Had stayed the night before in the hotel across from the port where HAL had a check-in desk set up. We already had our cabin assignment, so I was quite surprised (and concerned) when at check-in, we were given a different cabin number. I argued a bit and came to find that we were now in a balcony rather than an outside. Never did find out why - but we've been spoiled into having to book a balcony ever since!

My daughter and 3 of her college friends were upgraded twice when they cruised on the Norway 3 years ago. They originally booked one of the cheapest inside cabins in the bottom of the ship. They were upgraded to an oceanview and given a $25/person refund. Then, just before they left they were offered the Owner's Suite for $89/person. So for $64/person they went from the bottom of the ship to the top of the ship. It wasn't a free upgrade but with all of the perks that came with the Owner's suite (like free bottles of alcohol, sodas etc) they got more then their money back and they had a great time! We were never able to find out why this happened. Our travel agent said that she had never seen anything like it before. In fact, when the girls went to the "Suite" check in line they were told they were in the wrong line - until they insisted that they look up their names on the list and there they were! I don't think they have college kids in suites very often!

Well,

I will wait and see what kind of favor I will get! We had booked a last minute cruise, larger stateroom oceanview and it is an asigned room. We'll see, this is my last vacation for awhile--we will have SO much work to do when we get back, so I'd love to have a balcony. I also too, would still like to know if anyone knows how they qualify you as a local celebrity, that can possibly provide an upgrade if they have it available?

Archived