Galveston--La Quinta or Best Western? Or somewhere else altogether...

Looking to book a precruise stay in Galveston. I thought I was doing good looking to book for next year already, but since it's over Spring Break there are already places booked up, increasing rates, etc.

Anyway, I'm hoping for a hotel with free parking while we're on the Conquest. So far, it looks like La Quinta and the Best Western are the cheapest. Anyone stay here and have any input? Or know somewhere else cost-effective to stay?

Thanks in advance!

We have stayed at the Best Western Beachfront for at least 2-3 cruises and like it very much. Nice and clean with in room coffeemakers and a continental breakfast in the morning. They allow you to park in a separate roped off parking lot for the duration of your cruise but there is no shuttle. However, during special events and summer, the price goes up quite a bit. We have generally cruised in November or December and pay about $50 per night but we sailed a year ago during Galveston's Mardi Gras and the price was tripled to $150! :eek: I called to get reservations for our cruise next month and it is the same because it is summer! So, we will leave early in the morning and make the 5 hour drive on Sunday. We did that last time and it worked great. You might try some hotel/motels in the Houston area as that is very close. Good Luck! Travelgirl

For the last month or so I have been trying to check rates for our cruise next March, without much luck. No Rooms available. So a couple of days ago I called Galveston.com. I was told that it is too early. They do not have rates in the system yet, and that I should try in September or October.

By the way, LQ has an inn in Texas City that is much cheaper than in Galveston, but we may opt for Galveston for a couple of nights to be tourists.

The above poster is right, it is probably too early and they are not taking reservations just yet. You might try calling the hotels directly. The Best Western is nice and in a good location. http://www.bestwesterngalveston.com/

The above poster is also correct in saying that staying on the mainland is cheaper but you do not get to enjoy Galveston :)

Have stayed in the BW, LQ, and LQ Inns & Suites on the island. All 3 are fine, but if you plan on parking for the week, use the BW or the LQ Inns & Suites. The regular LQ (@14th st) parking lot is not somewhere I would leave my vehicle...no controlled access and most of the spaces are behind the building and wide open. Just my opinion...

Harbor House at Pier 21 has been recommended to me by several people. It's supposed to be about 2 blocks from the Pier. Also has free parking for cruisers (during the cruise but have to pay parking fee the nights you stay there). It looks pretty nice. I booked for late August at the rate of $115 per night.

Hola,

We have stayed at BW and would stay again, but our fav has been the Holiday Inn on the Beach. Free parking and a shuttle service to and from the cruise term. There is only one hitch though, prices change as the tourist season heats up. We stayed in Dec. and Jan. for $100 a night, but the Nov. rates were $175 for the same room. I've seen good reviews on the Harbor House but I think that it all depends on the season. Our last 2 cruises we stayed in Cleveland and drove in the next morning, parked the car at EZPark and let the Galveston hotels have an empty room.;)

Thanks for all the info! I did notice that only the major chains were showing availability...I guess I'm too on the ball! :D I'll wait a bit and see what everyone else's rates look like as the dates get closer.

I appreciate the comment on the LaQuinta vs. the LQ Inns and Suites...that's good to know. The regular LQ was cheaper ($104 vs. $129) but if the car isn't safe there that the savings might not be worth it.

We would be open to staying somewhere other than Galveston, but since we're driving we'll need to park no matter what. Any thoughts on which is more convenient, parking at the hotel or parking at one of the pier lots?

allesonwonderland,

If you are driving and are willing to stay somewhere other that Galveston, try checking on lodging in the Clear Lake area of Houston. We are +/-20 minutes south of Hobby Airport and +/-30 minutes north of the Galveston cruise terminal. The area centers around NASA/Johnson Space Center and there are LOTS of new and new-ish motels in this area plus a large mall and a big choice of restaurants. Look for addresses on Bay Area Blvd., NASA Parkway/NASA Road #1, or Texas Avenue (in Webster, Texas). Let me know if you need any information.

We will be staying at the Super 8 in Galveston in October. The prices are about $60 less that the Best Western for that time of year. As I understand it, it has recently been remodeled and is very nice with a complimentary breakfast.

As for parking, due to a past experience in my family, we will not leave our car in a hotel parking lot as they are not patroled or watched. We will always park in a secure lot even if it costs. This time we are using Lighthouse.

We stay in Texas City. Cheaper than Galveston but close enough to drive in on Sat and enjoy Galveston before Sunday departure.

Can you recommend a hotel in Texas City? I have been looking for a hotel there and not sure where is a good/safe place to stay? I have looked at the LaQuinta but reviews have not been very favorable, actually they have not been favorable for hardly any hotel In Texas City. I know reviews should be taken with a grain of salt as it is only 1 in 1,000 that will post a review but that is all I have to go by since I know nothing about this area.

Thanks,

Sherry

there are several new-ish chain motels at the intersection of I-45 and Lowery Expressway. Any of them would be in a convenient and safe area.

You can also look at lodging in the Clear Lake area of Houston. We have all the chains here, a large mall and lots of restaurants. Look for locations on Bay Area Blvd.; in Webster, Texas; or on NASA Parkway/NASA Road #1. This area is on I-45 about 30 minutes north of the Galveston cruise terminal.

there are several new-ish chain motels at the intersection of I-45 and Lowery Expressway. Any of them would be in a convenient and safe area.

You can also look at lodging in the Clear Lake area of Houston. We have all the chains here, a large mall and lots of restaurants. Look for locations on Bay Area Blvd.; in Webster, Texas; or on NASA Parkway/NASA Road #1. This area is on I-45 about 30 minutes north of the Galveston cruise terminal.

Ok, I am looking at the Quality Inn at 904 E NASA Rd...what do you think of that one or could you give me names that you would recommend?

Sherry

Sherry,

Sorry I wasn't able to respond earlier but I think you're fine with that Quality Inn. My daughter and son-in-law stayed there a month or so ago when they were visiting and had no problems. There is road construction near-by but that shouldn't cause you any trouble except, perhaps, getting into the parking lot.

Sherry,

Sorry I wasn't able to respond earlier but I think you're fine with that Quality Inn. My daughter and son-in-law stayed there a month or so ago when they were visiting and had no problems. There is road construction near-by but that shouldn't cause you any trouble except, perhaps, getting into the parking lot.

Wonderful! Now if I can only get a new BC before we leave since I still do not have a passport and THEY have my only copy of my BC!!!

Sherry

Archived