Denali National Park Wildlife

staufj22

Hi All,

Would it make a difference, as far as wildlife sighting goes, whether you're taking a morning shuttle, or an evening shuttle?

I understand that it dosn't get dark until pretty late there, so we have a 6PM shuttle going to Polychrome.

I'm thinking of switching it to a morning shuttle, leaving around 7AM, wondering if that'll provide a better chance at wildlife sighting.

Either is probably good for wildlife, which are active more in the am and pm and tend to bed down during the hot, sunny part of the day. If cloudy/cold and raining, then they are usually active all day.

However with selecting Polychrome instead of Fish Creek, you are missing 10 miles of PRIME bear habitat.

Either timeframe will have wildlife sightings, always unique to the day and unpredictable.

Exactly - we've had out best bear sightings past Polychrome. Last summer they were consistenly showing up in the Stoney Hill/Fish Creek area.

Tell me about it. Within 15 minutes of starting our hike at Stony Hill last June, we saw a large bear within 50 yards of us. Fortunately he didn't see us and we moved out of his way quickly. Glad we saw it early actually - made us even more bear-aware the rest of our hike around Stony Hill aka Stony Mountain (only in Alaska could that be called a "hill"!).

John

Archived