Newport, RI Question

jrobinso

....Bradley is my preferred airport......

Should have mentioned it in my previous post since you mentioned Bradley, and don't know if there has been any press in New England (except for CT); but Bradley is now offering daily direct nonstop flights to Amsterdam. Methinks my next cruise will be Northern Europe, Baltic or Scandinavia. The carrier is Northwest Airlines.

BTW, I completely agree with you about Skooters, but keep a lid on it, I don't want it to get too popular.:D

SBtS

....Bradley is my preferred airport......

Should have mentioned it in my previous post since you mentioned Bradley, and don't know if there has been any press in New England (except for CT); but Bradley is now offering daily direct nonstop flights to Amsterdam. Methinks my next cruise will be Northern Europe, Baltic or Scandinavia. The carrier is Northwest Airlines.

BTW, I completely agree with you about Skooters, but keep a lid on it, I don't want it to get too popular.:D

SBtS

Thank you! We are thinking of going back to The Netherlands and that would be perfect! Another nice little perk for flying out of Bradley is that we stayed at a hotel for $70 for the night the evening before our 6 am flight and they charged us $37 for 8 days parking and a really quick shuttle ride back and forth. That's like 3-4 days parking alone at Logan! Skooters will be a fun destination when we just want to take a ride down that way.

We just returned from a Canada New England cruise and stopped at Newport for a short while.

The visitor centre is a comfortable short walk from the tender pier. However, it is not opened till 9 a.m. There is public transit terminal right by the visitor centre that you can take advantage of. It is $2.00 per ride (no free transfer) or $5.00 for a day pass. The Bellevue Trolley is the one you need to take to get to the cliff walk and the mansions.

As we must be back to the ship by 1:30 p.m. after getting the information from the visitor centre around 9:30 a.m., we could only do the short distance at the cliff walk and see the Breaker (right by the cliff walk). If you have more time at Newport, buy the day pass and you can hop on and off any buses. The admission fee for the Breaker is $16 for an adult and $4 for a youth. However, you have a lot of ticket choices ranging from one manion to seven mansions. Even if you buy the admission to just one mansion, you can always pay the difference and upgrade to other options. It is very flexible.

We just returned from a Canada New England cruise and stopped at Newport for a short while.

The visitor centre is a comfortable short walk from the tender pier. However, it is not opened till 9 a.m. There is public transit terminal right by the visitor centre that you can take advantage of. It is $2.00 per ride (no free transfer) or $5.00 for a day pass. The Bellevue Trolley is the one you need to take to get to the cliff walk and the mansions.

As we must be back to the ship by 1:30 p.m. after getting the information from the visitor centre around 9:30 a.m., we could only do the short distance at the cliff walk and see the Breaker (right by the cliff walk). If you have more time at Newport, buy the day pass and you can hop on and off any buses. The admission fee for the Breaker is $16 for an adult and $4 for a youth. However, you have a lot of ticket choices ranging from one manion to seven mansions. Even if you buy the admission to just one mansion, you can always pay the difference and upgrade to other options. It is very flexible.

Thanks for the info. Just out of curiosity, how far out in the bay from the tender dock does the ship anchor? I was in Newport years ago and don't remember how big the bay area is.

Thanks!!

Cruise ships anchor about a mile from the tender dock which is in the northeast corner of the harbor. To get a good idea of where, take a long at the pix I took of the Star Princess visiting Newport. The tender dock is not in the pix but it would be at the far right edge just off the pix.

http://www.pbase.com/joneruss/image/69310478

I have another panorama of Newport Harbor at the same site showing the cruise ship The World, iirc, at anchor.

SBtS

Archived