Newport, RI Question

jrobinso

We are doing a New England cruise this fall, with a stop in Newport. I would like to explore the mansion(s) and do the cliff walk on my own. What can I expect as far as public transportation at the dock. Any ideas on how to do Newport outside of ship excursions? I haven't been to Newport before, so how far is the town from the cruise ship dock?

The downtown shopping area is within walking distance of where the tenders come in. Depending on how far you are willing to walk, you can walk to one of the mansions. They are all pretty much in the same area. Make sure to take the time to see Trinity church too. The architecture is amazing. And that is nearby where the tenders come in. Also is Washington Square. There is a museum nearby that too. The whole town is like a museum as many of the buildings from the 1700's and 1800's have been preserved.

There are taxis all around too. I imagine that on cruise ship days, they are by the docks. If not, the Gateway Transportation Center is nearby and you can arrange for tours there.

(Newport is our favorite destination in the US...we are lucky enough to live within driving distance.)

Poorsusan, I would like to know where the cruise ships tender in. What can I do that is within walking distance. My husband and I are both physically fit 50 year olds, so a good walk is no problem. What mansion(s) can we walk to? more info on the shuttle or location of the transportation center would be very helpful. Thanks a bunch.( have a nice visit in Newport!)

The mansions are a bit of a walk. Once you tender in, they are a little to the right then up the hill. Take a right on Bellevue and they're all down the left side of the street. Personally, I would find a tour that encompassed a few mansions plus maybe a bit of the Cliff Walk (it runs behind the mansions). Or, you could just do a few mansions then walk around Thames Street (right near where you tender in). I wouldn't waste all that time walking to get to the mansions and back. You would be limiting yourself to the number of sights you'll see. I would take the yellow line trolley. It goes by the mansions and shopping on Bellevue. I think it costs $6/pp or $18 for up to 4 people.

I am here in Newport right now!

About a 10 minute walk to the Gateway Center..you can get the trolley or Jitney there. I would guesstimate about a 30 minute walk to get the Elms. My favorite mansions are Astor's Beechwood and Belcourt Castle.

I think Trinity Church is also a must see. Just wandering about is great. I am not a big shopper but there are different kinds of stores here. One year, I did nearly all my Christmas shopping here between Cuffy's and the Museum Store.

My favorite place though in Newport is Brenton Point. Too far to walk there from the tender dock though. We love to feed the seagulls there and watch the kites....(lots of kites today but everyone bundled up - only in the low 60's today)

• 2 weeks later...
The mansions are a bit of a walk. Once you tender in, they are a little to the right then up the hill. Take a right on Bellevue and they're all down the left side of the street. Personally, I would find a tour that encompassed a few mansions plus maybe a bit of the Cliff Walk (it runs behind the mansions). Or, you could just do a few mansions then walk around Thames Street (right near where you tender in). I wouldn't waste all that time walking to get to the mansions and back. You would be limiting yourself to the number of sights you'll see. I would take the yellow line trolley. It goes by the mansions and shopping on Bellevue. I think it costs $6/pp or $18 for up to 4 people.

I agree. We visited Newport in 2004. After tendering into Newport, the transportation center/visitor's center was down the street toward the left. From there, we caught a bus/trolley line out to the museums. We purchased a 2-mansion ticket, toured a couple of mansions then took the bus back to the transportation center. Very easy to do for about $30 each for admission + bus fare.

• 1 month later...

We were there in September and just want to mention that it can be cool and a bit windy. So, be sure to check the weather before you leave the ship and dress appropriately. It is a beautiful port. We enjoyed the Breakers Mansion and the Cliff Walks and you will enjoy doing all of this on your own. Save some time to also walk around this lovely town.

Keith

We were there in September and just want to mention that it can be cool and a bit windy. So, be sure to check the weather before you leave the ship and dress appropriately. It is a beautiful port. We enjoyed the Breakers Mansion and the Cliff Walks and you will enjoy doing all of this on your own. Save some time to also walk around this lovely town.

Keith

Good point Keith! Also, the tender trip can be a little bouncy, so take precautions if this is a problem for you.

Good point Keith! Also, the tender trip can be a little bouncy, so take precautions if this is a problem for you.

Joy, you are correct. The tender we took was probably the roughest we have ever encountered on any tender we've ever been in. And, we have been in many of them over the years.

Keith

Joy, you are correct. The tender we took was probably the roughest we have ever encountered on any tender we've ever been in. And, we have been in many of them over the years.

Keith

I boat frequently off of the Cape and islands and occasionally Newport and our water is almost always choppy (and cold) here. Also as far as the weather is concerned in Sept it can be 90 or 40. We have extreme climate changes up here so bring a variety of clothing.

I boat frequently off of the Cape and islands and occasionally Newport and our water is almost always choppy (and cold) here. Also as far as the weather is concerned in Sept it can be 90 or 40. We have extreme climate changes up here so bring a variety of clothing.

Thanks for the additional information. In spite of the seas, we loved this port of call and will be visiting it once again in late September.

Keith

REDSOXFAX11,

How cold can we expect the temperatures to be in late October?

MARAPRINCE

In a normal year low 50's - 40's. I posted on another thread that in October, November and December of 2006 we were 20+ degrees above normal. We reached peak foliage weeks later then usual. Trick or Treating was done in shirt sleeves. We have really unpredictable weather here, especially seaside. To be safe bring a warm jacket and a spring one as well.

the normal temperature for Newport in October is about 54 degrees; if the wind is off the water it will be cooler. Just dress in layers.

SBtS

Hey, SailBadtheSinner. I was in Windsor Locks the other day. Bradley is my preferred airport. I discovered that 50's diner like place near the airport and enjoyed it. We never know what mother nature is going to dish out for us here do we, lol? I still love it though!

Yep, that's the place. :D I loved the art around the place and the fries were like I remember as a kid. The prices were great too. I found everyone to be so friendly there. DD's BF lives in Hartford so I am going to stop there with her on the way to there. The manager came over and sat with us and chit chatted for quite awhile. I will definitely recommend the place. It was awesome!

Archived