Peeved at Princess!!!

cindersue

My husband has limited walking ability (He can only walk about 20 feet) and is in great pain. We will need to rent a powerchair for our upcoming cruise. He weighs too much for the small scooter. His condition has worsened since we booked the cruise. We will need an accessable cabin. I called Princess to ask about rebooking even if upgrading would be necessary...I was told there are NO accessable cabins on the ship!!! I was told to call my travel agent and get put on a wait list. My travel agent called Princess who said there WAS a GG Cabin available (Obstructed view window!) but we would be charged $2600 apiece to upgrade...

I'm angry about being lied to!!! I've cruised with Princess many times before...They are more concerned with $$$ than assisting passengers!

True!!!.. My travel agent spent over 2 hours on the phone on 2 different days with Princess trying to get us the internet rate which was about $250 more apiece to upgrade to the category which had the accessable cabin..But Princess INSISTED that the price was for New Bookings Only!!! . Because we are closer than 55 days til or cruise our insurance won't help! Now someone who probably doesn't need the cabin will have it:mad: :mad: and we will have to try to find a safe place to store the wheelchair outside the cabin!

My husband has limited walking ability (He can only walk about 20 feet) and is in great pain. We will need to rent a powerchair for our upcoming cruise. He weighs too much for the small scooter. His condition has worsened since we booked the cruise. We will need an accessable cabin. I called Princess to ask about rebooking even if upgrading would be necessary...I was told there are NO accessable cabins on the ship!!! I was told to call my travel agent and get put on a wait list. My travel agent called Princess who said there WAS a GG Cabin available (Obstructed view window!) but we would be charged $2600 apiece to upgrade...

I'm angry about being lied to!!! I've cruised with Princess many times before...They are more concerned with $$$ than assisting passengers!

Since your signature indicates you are sailing on the Regal, I checked the deck plans, and there appear to be only 9 accessible cabins on the entire ship. It is an older ship in the fleet.

http://www.princess.com/ships/gp/deck/gp_dolphin_index.html

With 9 total cabins, I can see it would be difficult to get a WC room.

Does princess not have a special services department? Call them directly and not just the call center jockeys. If that does not help then have your TA call her regional rep and see if they can't help at least get the one that is still available.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but have never had a problem with Princess at all. We have sailed on the Grand, Caribbean and Sun. We just booked a cruise last week for December, on the Grand. On Princess's online reservation site no accessible rooms showed up, but we called them and they had several available. When we went to Alaska, Princess provided either bus or van with lift for excursions. One bus driver even came back in the evening to take us to dinner at a restaurant in Fairbanks we had heard about -- for free! (of course we tipped her generously). Nothing is ever "perfect" -- seating in theater's isn't great, getting through some of those heavy doors and over the bulkhead is an adventure, but we manage just fine. The only other cruise line we have used is Carnival, which was on the Glory which was similar to Princess in accessibility -- the only "older" ship we have ever been on is the "Sun Princess." It was our first cruise so we didn't have anything to compare it with, but thought it was great. I am a quadriplegic, using a manual wheelchair with a "detachable" motorized unit that allows me to get around easily on the ship, but can detach it if needed for tendering. One of the scariest things we have found on ANY cruise is going down the gangplanks in port! Anyway, just wanted to say a good word about Princess from my point of view.

Try getting past those front-line people who really only know the basics. Your problem is that you are wanting to change cabins after the final payment date has passed, and Princess is pretty firm on their "New Bookings Only" policy. You need to try and get hold of someone with more authority to see if they can assist. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Does anyone have a number to access the special needs dept at Princess???. We are on the Dawn July 20th...(my time clock is out dated) and my TA was told there IS an open cabin in the GG category..Even though the Princess representative said all the accessable cabins on the entire ship have been book!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: I hate being lied to! And I Hate being jacked by Princess to pay double the price for something that's available to someone else for just a couple hundred more than we paid!:mad: :mad:

Does princess not have a special services department? Call them directly and not just the call center jockeys. If that does not help then have your TA call her regional rep and see if they can't help at least get the one that is still available.

That's the big problem -- Princess is the only crusie lines that doesn't have a dedicated "special needs" number. But beyond that -- I have gotten more reader complaints about Princess than almost any other provider (including airlines). It's my opinion that they really just don't care, or at least that is how it appears from how they respond to guests. I think they just want to deal with TAs as far as access goes. And again, that's just a guess from what I've heard from different readers.

But here's the big issue -- when you have other crusie lines that actually do go out of their way to provide access and welcome all guests, why would you want to sail wuth (give your money to) a company that doesn't?

Food for thought.

Candy

I guess my husband (who is a quad) & I have just been lucky as well with Princess. Have been on 10 cruises with them and have had mostly good experiences with them. No cruise line is perfect, they are run by humans.

I will admit that I called our European contact for Princess today and asked them to contact their contact in LA so that they could have a closer look at the problem since Princess seems to be the line with the worst track record. Some times a tip to the right person can get the ball rolling....

Even if it does not help the OP it might help for those who follow. These big corporations are sometime not really aware of how certain services are precieved from the outside and a nice tap on the shoulder can be good in the long run.

I guess my husband (who is a quad) & I have just been lucky as well with Princess. Have been on 10 cruises with them and have had mostly good experiences with them. No cruise line is perfect, they are run by humans.

I've cruised with Princess many times and I've always been VERY Happy with them! This is the first time I've ever tried to rebook or get an acessible cabin. When we first booked this cruise my husband had just had a proceedure and was feeling almost pain free. We didn't even consider needing a powerchair or shower bench... Now that we need it we're stuck! I wish they would bend alittle ..True they are only run by humans... but shouldn't humans be willing to show compassion?

One time,years ago I was assigned an accessable cabin. I called Princess THAT DAY and told them I DIDN'T Need it or Want It ! Save it for someone who needs it! Please rebook our cabin! They said "No" they couldn't. There were no other cabins available, besides customers that need them book well in advance". I called them 5 times and asked to be changed if someone requested it before we left...I even offered to take a lower cabin class when we got onboardif someone needed it.. but they still put us in that cabin...

I teach Special Needs...I know how hard it is to get around in the world with physical limitations...I NEVER Park in Disabled spots or would use a service I didn't need...Now I wonder how many Able Bodies are placed in accessable cabins without asking for them..(NOT to mention the the Able Bodied Jerks who LIE to get a bigger cabin!!!):mad:

Sorry ...just venting here... I will try calling Princess again...Maybe a cabin will open up..

Cindersue,

Although Princess does not have a "special needs" department they do have customer service supervisors. I would suggest a three way call between you, your TA and a supervisor. If possible it would help to know what the difference in fare would have been if you had booked a GG cabin when you first signed up for the cruise. Perhaps the TA knows that data. $2600 EACH more is excessive. I hope everything works out well for you. Good luck

My two cents: I had the same problem and called Princess as we were 14 cabins away from the elevators. I called princess myself and then my TA called them, I was waitlisted and 2 days later my TA called and said that they had a WC accessible cabin right next to the elevators. The cost was very small so I am pleased so far at the service. Further to that I just read the member review of the Emerald and the lady at the end of her review told people to ask for a WC cabin (2x the size)

...............And you wonder why there are none available.

Can't wait for Feb. 08 on the Emerald

Just that I'd let you know - just got off of Princess' website -- played like I was booking for 7/10/07, Dawn Princess, GG category -- well, guess what, the only available cabin in that category was D327, yep, you guessed it an accessible obstructed view on Dolphin deck for $4,000 for 2.

I think I'd check with my TA or somebody -- I really don't remember when Princess starting including the accessible rooms on their website because we have always had to call to get one.

Just that I'd let you know - just got off of Princess' website -- played like I was booking for 7/10/07, Dawn Princess, GG category -- well, guess what, the only available cabin in that category was D327, yep, you guessed it an accessible obstructed view on Dolphin deck for $4,000 for 2.

I think I'd check with my TA or somebody -- I really don't remember when Princess starting including the accessible rooms on their website because we have always had to call to get one.

Thanks so much Everyone! Yup, my TA told me that was the one!!!

He spent a total of 4 hours arguing with Princess to try to get us that cabin at the "Flash cruise special price"...PRINCESS REFUSED:mad: .They said its for NEW BOOKINGS ONLY..We are on the wait list Despite the fact the Room is OPEN! ...We just don't have $4000 a piece to spend for the upgrade:mad: !! Makes you wonder how many others could not cruise because the cruiseline is waiting to sell the cabins to AB folks instead of allowing someone who needs it to pay a lower price for an upgrade!:rolleyes:

I only hope that the person who actually books the cabin has a need for it!

Did you not take trip cancelation insurance? If you have it, you should be able to cancel with no penalty on the premise that recent surgery prevents travel at this time. For someone like you who works with Special Needs, you must be aware of the potential for such circumstances to develop for almost anyone with your husband's limitations. Most cruise lines will release unbooked accessible cabins to the general cruising public if they are not booked 60 or 90 days from the sailing date. I realize the princess website and the TA say this one is available, but the price will be what Princess chooses to charge. Sounds like a bummer to me. We always have to book accessible cabins as much as 18 months prior to sailing because of use of a scooter and wheelchair, so I sympathize with your situation. And despite the fact that you have had great service from Princess in the past, this is your first experience dealing with their so-called special needs which has a reputation for being the worst of any cruise line.:(

Did you not take trip cancelation insurance? If you have it, you should be able to cancel with no penalty on the premise that recent surgery prevents travel at this time. For someone like you who works with Special Needs, you must be aware of the potential for such circumstances to develop for almost anyone with your husband's limitations. Most cruise lines will release unbooked accessible cabins to the general cruising public if they are not booked 60 or 90 days from the sailing date. I realize the princess website and the TA say this one is available, but the price will be what Princess chooses to charge. Sounds like a bummer to me. We always have to book accessible cabins as much as 18 months prior to sailing because of use of a scooter and wheelchair, so I sympathize with your situation. And despite the fact that you have had great service from Princess in the past, this is your first experience dealing with their so-called special needs which has a reputation for being the worst of any cruise line.:(

Yes, we did take out insurance....At the time we booked he was doing pretty well.. But my hubby has had surgery yet...(that's coming next) just a series of spinal shots which improved his back for a few weeks... but now it is worse than ever... we are now less than 50 something days out and would only get back 50% of our booking price... All we want to do is up grade to the HC cabin at the same price as someone booking now! and the fact that they LIED to me and said there are NO OPEN HC cabins left leaves me with a very sour taste!:mad:

We will still go on the trip...It's our 1st anniversary/honeymoon. Just trying to figure out if there's a scooter or maybe a manual chair to fit the cabin..

But from now on I sure won't book Princess because of how they treat folks with disabilities! Thanks Cindy

Further to that I just read the member review of the Emerald and the lady at the end of her review told people to ask for a WC cabin (2x the size)

...............And you wonder why there are none available.

ald

I saw this review as well. This pax email was posted in his review so I emailed him and told him he was wrong to book a HC cabin and wrong to advertise the fact.

I encourage others to do the same. Perhaps he/she will get the message.

Linda

Linda -

On your prompting, I read his review. I just now sent him the following email:

Hello

I just read your review of the Emerald Princess on Cruise Critic.

Is it possible for you to edit it? I sincerely hope so.

Near the end of your review, you recommend that people "Request a handicap balcony room (2x the size)"

This is really a reprehensible practice, as it will ensure that someone who is disabled will not be able to go on the cruise at all.

A handicap room is not a convenience for any, it is a requirement for some.

The cruise lines generally do not check that pax booking a HC room need it. Additionally, contrary to what many think, they do not bump able-bodied folk from a HC room if a handicapped person later requests a cabin.

Therefore, if it's at all possible, I (and many others) would sure appreciate it if you would remove that "tip" from your otherwise fine review.

I sure wish that my wife were able to use a standard cabin; I would give anything for her to be able to climb up into an upper berth. You can't begin to imagine. On a different but related subject, I infer from your email addy that you fly. I sure wish that I could get my wife into our Skylane (she's paraplegic).

Regards,

- Richard

Will let you know if I get a response.

Richard,

Thank you! Perhaps we educated him. My e-mail wasnt quite as 'gentle' as yours I'm afraid to say..........

I enjoyed reading your review on your recent trip on the Emerald Princess. We have similar views on Princess I believe.

The only thing I had a issue with was telling others to book a handicapped accessible room since they are 2x the size.

Handicapped cabins are not so your selfish butt can have a bigger cabin. They are for people who are in wheelchairs and have to have one to be able to cruise. HC cabins are the only cabins that have wider doors so people in wheelchairs are able to get into the cabin.

Next time please do not book a HC cabin. You are taking a cabin away from a handicapped cruiser who may need it.

However, Telling people opening to book these cabins is WRONG.

The emerald has around 20 handicapped cabins. I have to book a year in advance to be able to cruise because selfish able bodied people book these cabins.

Next time do the right thing and be a upstanding, upright

unselfish person and book a regular room.

Thank you for your time.

Linda

I did receive a response from this fellow. He aplogized and said he was contacting cruise critic to delete this sentence from his review. Lets hope it can be done.

Linda

Yep, here's his reply to me:

Richard,

You are correct and I have contacted cruisecritic to remove this.

Have fun in the Cessna.

Respectfully

-Travis

He probably had never thought it out before. All's well that ends well.

- Richard

I wrote a shall we say Very Direct letter to Princess about being told there were no more HC cabins available when there were still ones available at a discount price and how angry I am (You may remember my story as it started this thread)....And How Disgusted I was after reading numerous Message Boards and finding out how poorly Princess treats passengers with Disabilities!!! I was told because of the seriousness of my complaint they would "open a file with our Booking Number" and get to it ASAP! They said it might take 2-4 weeks because the complaints are answered in the Order in which they are Received!!!!.. I wrote back saying that won't solve my problem as We sail in 6 weeks!:mad: The cabin will be sold (probably to an AB) by then!!and I still got the same answer again! :mad:

Anyway, today I ordered a 4 wheel scooter (heavy duty) from "Cruise Assist" and the woman said it will fit thru a reg cabin door... But when I looked online tonite at Cruise Assist's website I found that it says won't fit thru the standard cabin doors...

Does anyone know if it will fit? Or where we could store or charge it if we can't fit it in the cabin?:confused: We WILL need the scooter...Hubby is too powerfully ample (His words not mine!:p ) for a smaller scooter and I might not be with him to push him around some of the ports... Ideas anyone?

Thanks Cindy

Cindersue, I think you will ultimately be ok with this. After you are on board and if the scooter won't go through the door Princess will find a place to put the scooter where it can be charged. This may be at the purser's desk or in an area where the stewards store their carts. This is a little inconvenient as you will have to go and get it when your husband needs to use it and then take it back at the end of the day.

Thanks Katesdale,

I called again to the scooter rental and she said the website was out of date and the 4 wheeled scooter WILL FIT!!:D :D It's the Super Duty Plus that won't fit ...So we will be Cramped.... but Happy!

Thanks everyone who has helped! Cindy

Archived