People of color's hair and the onboard salon

i'd be curious before i booked and asked how long they had their license. ( i mean we can ask that right?)

do the spa staff have licenses??

I agree with you Serene..I wonder that as well, if they're licensed?

I mean I know it's different when you're in the states and you have to be licensed, but what about on the ocean? I wonder if they have to be licensed in the country where they're from?

I'll definitely ask when I get on board. It'll be interesting to see what the answer will be.

Trvlngrl,

I used to wear my hair in braids when I was a young'un. I washed it, but I found that sometimes the hair gets loosened and it gets a little straglly (if that's a word) after a while.

I would worry if I had my hair in braids and if I washed it too vigorously, the braids would be come undone. I mean it would be my own hair, and not a weave I would put in. We always have to worry about the chlorine and salt water damaging our hair...sigh..

I would love to get braids, but I like the way the wind whips my hair...lol

Trvlngrl,

I used to wear my hair in braids when I was a young'un. I washed it, but I found that sometimes the hair gets loosened and it gets a little straglly (if that's a word) after a while.

I would worry if I had my hair in braids and if I washed it too vigorously, the braids would be come undone. I mean it would be my own hair, and not a weave I would put in. We always have to worry about the chlorine and salt water damaging our hair...sigh..

I would love to get braids, but I like the way the wind whips my hair...lol

I love my hair and I take care of it, but I am real lazy abot styling, and maintaining a "do" That's why I'm considering the braids so that I won't have to fuss over my hair while on vacation.;)

Besides I tend to wear my hair up (to the dismay of my hairdresser) in the summer because of the heat. I can't stand it (the heat that is):eek: .

I'm cruising on Sept. 6th....

I wear my hair natural because I do plan to go swimming. Yep... I wear the 1970s afro! My only issue will be my rinse, rinsing out! LOL!

I wear my hair natrual also. On some of my cruises I've worn my hair in braids. When I choose not to braid it I wear flat twists on the top and my curly afro in the back. Since the front stays put with the twists, that makes keeping my hair looking nice while on the ship really easy.

One question...are you black? And if so, what did they do to your hair?

They washed it with no problem, but then she kept putting gels and creams in during the blowdry and curl process, she didn't get that my hair would not go bone straight. After my hair was wet and heavy, and couldn't hold a curl... she kept apologizing, and offered to rewash it, but I was TOO fed up, plus had assigned seating at dinner with friends. (They initally laughed, but sensing my mood, said oh, you can wash it out later).:confused:

Did you consider just washing it yourself and pulling it back into a ponytail (whether your own or store bought?) I'm some what challenged when doing my own hair but both my sistes in law and other people I know put those fake pony tails in and I couldnt tell the difference.

HeatherandFred

I would send an email to Princess and inquire what products they use. Then I would get a list from my beautician as to what products work on my hair. I would carry a small supply of those products . You would get your hair washed, get a conditioned, I would think you have your hair set with rollers and be sure it is DRY. Make notice of what color rollers(size) that would be used to set your hair. You should be good to go.

Great topic, I thought I'd add my piece. While sailng on the Explorer of the Seas a few years ago I decided to take out my cornrows, problem with synthetic hair; itched like crazy:eek: I was told by the receptionist at the salon that they didn't have anyone that could do "my" type of hair.

Well needless to say I am not the one, DH and I immediately went to the pursers desk to lodge a complaint, now keep in mind that the salons are not owned by the cruiselines but none the less, they interceeded on our behalf, probably had something to do with the angry look on my face :rolleyes:

We returned to our cabin and received a phone call from the salon manager that they absolutely could do my hair and invited me to visit the salon for a full range of services completely gratis!!!

Since I have relaxed hair they washed and set it on large rollers and once it was dry they smoothed it out with the blow dryer and a brush, sort of like a body wrap When I returned to my cabin, I promptly wrapped my hair, tied it up and was good to go.

That was 4 years ago and since then I have never had a problem having my hair done while on board. I just make sure to take my own flat iron and any products I'm plannning on using.

Great topic, I thought I'd add my piece. While sailng on the Explorer of the Seas a few years ago I decided to take out my cornrows, problem with synthetic hair; itched like crazy:eek: I was told by the receptionist at the salon that they didn't have anyone that could do "my" type of hair.

Well needless to say I am not the one, DH and I immediately went to the pursers desk to lodge a complaint, now keep in mind that the salons are not owned by the cruiselines but none the less, they interceeded on our behalf, probably had something to do with the angry look on my face :rolleyes:

We returned to our cabin and received a phone call from the salon manager that they absolutely could do my hair and invited me to visit the salon for a full range of services completely gratis!!!

Since I have relaxed hair they washed and set it on large rollers and once it was dry they smoothed it out with the blow dryer and a brush, sort of like a body wrap When I returned to my cabin, I promptly wrapped my hair, tied it up and was good to go.

That was 4 years ago and since then I have never had a problem having my hair done while on board. I just make sure to take my own flat iron and any products I'm plannning on using.

ROFL..that's exactly what I would have said "I am not the one." I'll definitely bring my essentials (hair grease, wrap lotion, etc). Sounds like you had a good experience..after the fact. It really shouldn't be that way though.

I always thought that when you go to beauty/cosmetology school to learn how to do hair, they teach you on all textures. I had in internship in D.C. one year and didn't want to pay the high prices in downtown D.C. I found a beauty school in Maryland..wasn't as far away as it could have been. I made my appt and went and found WW learning how to do hair. So to me, it's no excuse to say, "We don't do your type of hair."

Cruisin Mommas,

Just as Raytown lady said, the cruise line does not own the salon. They are contracted out to a company. I should contact that company..why didn't I think of that? :rolleyes:

Oh and another thing, if you really get in a bind. Depending on which island you're on, you can usually find hair products while in port. I've purchased a curling iron in St. Marteen and gel and pink oil moisturizer, it was a beauty supply shop just like back home. only thing missing was the fact that the person behind the counter had a caribbean accent.

If you need anything, just ask one of the female crew members they usually know the spots to go to.

I found the site for the spa that has the contract for Princess...

http://www.steinerleisure.com/steinerSite.html

I sent them an email...let's see if I receive a response. I'm sure the spa/hair salon is the same contact :eek:.

Raytown,

If worse comes to worse, I can get my hair washed on the island. I'll be going to P.R., Grand Turk, St. Martin and St. Thomas.

I would be a little leary of someone on the ship doing my hair because of all the different nationalities of the crew. And I would ask what type of licensing the stylists are required to have. Do they even have beauty licences requirements for international waters.

I did the clip on pony tail and got a long glamorous ponytail for formal night. In fact, during The Quest the MC asked a man to dress up in woman's clothes and I yanked off my ponytail and bra and strapped in on the only man sitting at our table. It was hilarious!!! I had a ball.

BTW, I'm a sistah.

I would have done one of my mama's typical show out moves on this one.LOL Glad it worked out.

I have nothing to add to the convo, but I wondered about getting my hair done on the ship.

I would have done one of my mama's typical show out moves on this one.LOL Glad it worked out.

I have nothing to add to the convo, but I wondered about getting my hair done on the ship.

I really wanted to show out I mean I was ready to put on the entire clown suit nose, shoes and wig but I had to remember the phrase I always tell our kids " Don't give folks the satisfaction of acting like what they think you are" So that stopped me.

Besides, I came out way on top; originally I was prepared to pay for my hair service but thanks to them, I ended up with free hair, massage manicure and pedicure.

They offerred to give me a facial but I wasn't even going there with them. :D

Good morning!!

I'm a African American female and I have very thick hair that can tangle easy.

I normally just get a touch up about a week before my cruise.

I bring my own products for my hair with me since many of the products in the salons are not made for ethic hair.

On one of my cruises, I did get a wrap,but I took my own hair products with me and requested that they use them. I had to explain how I wanted my hair fixed. It came out nice.

But I prefer to just do my own. I know that it's a hassle after a beach day, but I'm on vacation and it's not like I do this on a daily basis.

I noticed that when I was in Martinique that quite a few shops had the products that I used at home.

I really wanted to show out I mean I was ready to put on the entire clown suit nose, shoes and wig but I had to remember the phrase I always tell our kids " Don't give folks the satisfaction of acting like what they think you are" So that stopped me.

Besides, I came out way on top; originally I was prepared to pay for my hair service but thanks to them, I ended up with free hair, massage manicure and pedicure.

They offerred to give me a facial but I wasn't even going there with them. :D

You go girl with the free hair, massage, manicure and pedicure...not that that's what you were going for. At least they bent over backwards for you.

I was told once by my supervisor (who fought hard to get me hired) Don't show your N---- when some fool tried to get in my face about absolutely nothing.

Glad you handled your business properly.

Archived