another Disney cruise or double time on another line

honeydog714

We LOVE DCL sailed it seven times now but I have noticed the prices really going up up up. We are debating either taking one of the mexican riv. cruises or go on another line to Europe next summer, on the other line it is twice the time and the same price...what to do??

We like Disney,but aren't addicted. We are however addicted to cruising, so for us, we would go with the longer cruise for the same price. We'd just rather cruise another line, and go on more cruises. That said, we do have a family cruise booked on Disney for Christmas 2008.:D

Our first two cruises were on Disney and we thought it was just the best thing going and we couldn't imagine that any other line would be as good. We tried Princess to the Mexican Riviera years ago and thought it was just fine. Since then, we have taken cruises on Royal Caribbean, Princess (two more times), Norwegian once and are planning a Mediterranean cruise on Royal Caribbean next spring. And we just signed up for another Disney cruise in September using our DVC points. Truth is, all cruise lines have their good points and you can have a great time on any of them. Select the itinerary and price that suits you best and go have fun!

Kate

I really love DCL and will go on it every chance I get, but DH likes to try new ships. If nothing else, it will make you appreciate your DCL cruises more when you sail with other ships.

We sailed on Carnival last year; similar situation of the right price and the right place. It wasn't the worst thing in the world, but it really made me love coming back to DCL.

Happy Sails!

We were about twenty minutes from leaving time, from St Marteen, and as I was topside, I noticed about 600 persons, watching the Disney big screen. I believe that was showing a cartoon. It was a Disney cartoon of course. But they were watching from the ship, berthed across from us, or the Magic. While surfing on a ship, or playing putt putt golf, or in-line skating, all are neat options, available on other lines, those options weren't being used. The Big screen was, but it's only on Disney, just like a firework display. The two Queen's emphasize the tradition of sailing Cunard, and other lines have their own statement's to make. It's just Disny Magic, when you cruise with them. Metrowon

What line are you thinking of taking? We have sailed on Carnival, Norwegian, RCCL and we just sailed on Disney for the first time for the Transatlantic to the Med. The reason we had never cruised them before is because we could always go longer and with a better cabin on another cruise line. I think RCCL and Disney are pretty equal in service and food quality. For people who only cruise Disney, I don't think they realize that the service is just as good on most other cruise lines we have been on. Obviously the big draw is the "Disney Magic" as in pixie dust type stuff. Are you cruising with children? What are their ages? My kids are 12 and 11 and I think RCCL had a more intresting kids program for them, in my opinion. As far as cruises go, the longer, the better!

What line are you thinking of taking? We have sailed on Carnival, Norwegian, RCCL and we just sailed on Disney for the first time for the Transatlantic to the Med. The reason we had never cruised them before is because we could always go longer and with a better cabin on another cruise line. I think RCCL and Disney are pretty equal in service and food quality. For people who only cruise Disney, I don't think they realize that the service is just as good on most other cruise lines we have been on. Obviously the big draw is the "Disney Magic" as in pixie dust type stuff. Are you cruising with children? What are their ages? My kids are 12 and 11 and I think RCCL had a more intresting kids program for them, in my opinion. As far as cruises go, the longer, the better!

That's good to hear. I have sailed on RCCL, Carnival and Disney. My kids have only cruised once--on Disney. My kids are ages 5-12(6 of them). They really loved the cruise. I would like to take them on RCCL when they are a little older. Either Freedom class or Voyager class. I found the service and food to be better on Disney but, that's me. I love RCCL though don't get me wrong. I am curious as to what your kids thought of Carnival? I think my kids would be bored. I just don't see what there would be to do.

I think for the OP after 7 Disney cruises it is time to try another line. Even if just to see what else is out there.

My kids were not thrilled with Carnival and neither was I, they preferred RCCL over all we have been on. One note to the OP, familiarize yourself with NCL's dining experience which is totally different than any other cruise line. A suite and a $400.00 credit is definetly worth giving it a try!! You will have a great time!

we made up our minds, travel agent gave us a too good to be true deal on norweigan so it is going to be europe. Hard to say no to a suite and a $400 shipboard credit :)

Whoo hoo! That is exciting. I'm sure you will have a blast. Let us know what you think of NCL.

Mary

My kids were not thrilled with Carnival and neither was I, they preferred RCCL over all we have been on. One note to the OP, familiarize yourself with NCL's dining experience which is totally different than any other cruise line. A suite and a $400.00 credit is definetly worth giving it a try!! You will have a great time!

Thank you for your reply. I think my kids will like RCCL also.

Mary

we loved Disney but have found the price a bot more than we are willing to pay...you dont just have to select a longer cruise but things like larger cabins, shore excursions and other purchases can fill in to amount paid extra for a disney cruise. I know at least RCCL has a very nice kids program growing, while maybe not quite what disney has, still nice

My standard advice for all of these questions is now:

GO ON THE OTHER CRUISE LINE!!

This should reduce demand for DCL and eventually result in reduced prices for ME.

Thanks for asking.

My standard advice for all of these questions is now:

GO ON THE OTHER CRUISE LINE!!

This should reduce demand for DCL and eventually result in reduced prices for ME.

Thanks for asking.

Don't worry we will be back and with an even bigger group but we will try to make it when you are not cruising so as to drive the prices down LOL

We loved out Disney Cruise but the next one will be on RCCL. We are getting two room for the price of one on the Disney line. SO we are spending the same amount of money but are getting two adjoining rooms with TWO bathrooms!!!

Disney does everything perfect, every "duck in a row" so to speak but the price has really creaped up over the years, we are getting a full suite on NCL for what DCL in a cat 6 was going to cost. This even comes with a butler (what I will do with a butler i don't know LOL) but I hope once the new DCL ships are launched the prices will even out some. On another note we are off to see the new pirates of the caribbean tonight :)

I just can't imagine staying with one cruiseline. I have a friend who just booked her 7th DCL. And I am TRYING to get her to come with us and she said she "just can't cheat on Mickey" :rolleyes:

We did Disney. And for the price of our Cat 6 on Magic we got a Grand Suite (concierge service level) on the newest and biggest ship on the sea RCCL Freedom of the Seas (since then they launched Liberty)

Our room was bigger (double balcony with lounge chairs). Our service was better. Our perks were incredible. The things to do on board can't be bet. There was an entire water park onboard for the kids (H20 zone). I could go on and on.

I mean, look at this. What young child would look at this and be bored?

IMG_0724.jpg

I just can't stress enough to try other lines. My kids get the Disney Magic at WDW. We go there before the cruise.:D

My daughter and I have cruised together 5 times, since she was 4 (she's now 8). We've been on RCCL, NCL, and Costa once each, and have been on Disney Magic twice. The kids can have fun on all the cruise lines, but the main thing to decide is how much time you want to spend with them. With the other lines, the kids clubs close down 3 times a day (over the meal times) so sometimes it's difficult to take part in all the adult activities. With Disney you can go on vacation with the kids and never see them if you don't want to! We spend a week together at WDW before the cruise, and then my daughter and I each do our own thing onboard. We both have a great time!

Now for a port intensive itinerary - like when we went to Greece, Italy,and Croatia on Costa, then I'd go for price over amenities.

Archived