Live From PG (May 19 - June 3)

Sitting at the pool bar checking in on email and Cruise Critic. We are on a sea day and the weather has been awesome...not too hot, but plenty of sun. Got the skinny on the restuarants Caroline. Yesterday it was a little cooler than anticipated (a cold front moving up from Antarctica) and while they normally have 60 -80 in Le Grill, many of those folks cancelled their reservations and went to L'Etoile instead, putting additional pressure on seating. We were asked to eat in La Veranda which was fine with us. Apparently their reservations for Le Grill have been running lighter than normal this cruise.

Bob was one of the judges at last night's Pacific Idol crew contest. Quite a lot of fun and some pretty good talent, too. Today was spent in the spa (fifth treatment this cruise and we still look old and fat!) and around the pool. The big concern at this point is whether any of our business clothes will fit when we get home...may have to just stay here (although the cruise clothes are showing some waistline stress!) :)

Another great day with new friends all around! The crew has been especially nice this time around and the only complaints/suggestions are very minor refinements on an awesome trip. Tomorrow Fiji, a rainforst hike (not sure how I got talked into this one!), and dinner with the Guest Relations Manager.

Don't know how to say "adios" in Tahitian, but you get the point!

Thanks Greg and Caroline for the suggestions about rest. reservations. As soon asthey open up for our Sept. cruise I will make them and as you say--I can always cancel. Better safe than sorry.

I appreciate you taking the time to answer all of the questions. Hope your cruise was everything you wanted it to be.

Darlene

We docked in Savusaku (Fiji) this morning. Absolutely beautiful! A very protected harbor surrounded by beautiful scenery. Lovely day although it started to rain by midday. We went on the Rainforest Hike this morning. An open air bus ride for about 45 minutes which gave us a good view of the sites (we passed though several small villages) and lush landscape. The rainforest hile was great. The first half was down an engineered path through dense greenery. The guide pointed out various plants including those still used for medicinal purposes. We ended up at a beautiful stream where the water is perfectly clear. Then back up the hill...a little strenuous but beautiful. Basically anyone wothout mobility problems should be able to make the trip, just take your time and rest as often as needed (take water!). We walked around the town. There are several little shops for local goods and souvenirs. Everyone was extremely nice, waved and offered the welcoming greating "bula!".

We will pull up anchor shortly and head to Suva (spelling is probably different) for tomorrow. For those of you heading this way, Fiji is very beautiful and the locals are paying no attention to the politcal issues around the coup. We had been told to prepare for a strong military presence, but have not seen anyone in military uniform...perhaps on future islands.

Top secret, but our group will be appearing on stage tonight as backups for the entertainment! Hope we are not required to walk the plank! :)

Mike and Bob

Great updates from MikenBob and thanks. Haven't been on PG since 2004 and CAN'T WAIT for Aug. 22nd 10 day I'm doing. Any others? I know the cigar club is gone and they added cabins. Still the BEST ship ever. You guys seem like you're having a ball on the Fiji trip. Love the details. Glad to see Wifi works.:cool:

We are in Savu (capital city) today and it is raining. No great loss as this is not such a great place...unless you need a lot of diesel fuel for your ship! We walked around the city (we are docked a few minute walk from the city center) and there is not a lot to see or do. A very heavy Indian influence in the shops and restaurants. Due to the rain we returned to the ship and were lucky to obtain spa appointments right away. This stop was a last minute diversion so that PG could load on some fuel.

After yesterday's adventures in Savusavu, we had room service steak sandwiches...very yummy! We had dinner last night at Le Grill even during a torrential rain storm. It was awesome dining in the midst of the strong winds and driving rain. Most had cancelled their reservations and retreated to L'Etoile, but we were dry and the servers gave us extra special attention (and some delicious wines! since we braved the elements.

A couple of extra thoughts that I forgot in earlier posts. While on ship I would recommend the bridge, engine control room, and galley tours. They each provide an interesting back of the house look and will probably make you appreciate all that it takes to keep this floating paradise in motion. For those of you on the return trip, you will have a better itinerary since you will end up in French Polynesia. Fiji and the Cook Islands have been inconsistent in their exotic paradise offerings...FP is wonderful everywhere!

We had drinks with some of the officers last night (and will be having dinner with one this evening) and heard that Regent is in negotiation to extend their handling of PG through 2010. Their current contract expires in 2008. Apparently looks pretty good that they will come to terms on the contract extension. We will try to get more details at dinner this evening...stay tuned!

Mike and Bob

Interesting comment about the possible contract extension. I heard just today that it was pretty much well and truly over after 2008; especially after the tough dealings to get that extension. I think we probably won't know until 2008 ends...unless it is good news.

Eric,

You may have a better source that I, but we spoke with several officers on the PG this past two weeks and all stated that they were getting close to negotiating an extension through 2010. This may the corporate talking points, but there was no variance in this opinion. I guess that time will tell!

Mike

After 16 hours in the air, we are finally home...and already thinking about when we will return to French Polynesia!

A few final thoughts on the trip. The Fijian Islands varied greatly. The primary cities were nothing special compared to the beautiful tropical islands. Regent arranged for a stop at a private island for our next to last day (to make up for the fuel stop in Suvo the prior day...a diversion from the schedule). The island was Malolo and was spectacular! The snorkeling was fun alothough the water was murky in spots due to the tidal activity. Lots of cobalt blue star fish and brightly colored swimming fish, too. In Lautoka there is not a lot to see in the city, however the sugar cane fields were sort of interesting. The mountain peaks were awesome. The Sheraton resort (for Regent air customers) was massive and just another very large, so-so hotel from our point of view. The check in was a hassle, but they did what they could to get everyone in to rooms. Our poolside waiter made a point of quoting President John Kennedy everytime that he made contact with us...not really sure what that was all about, perhaps just a deep admiration.

Air Pacific flies older 747's that they bought from Singapore Air. No first class, but a comfortable business class cabin. The economy cabin in a 3-4-3 configuration, so I am guessing that the seats are a little tight. The meals were below par for such a long international flight, but the crew was very nice. It is a 10+ hour flight to LAX, so an upgrade to business was a reasonable value for us.

When it comes to PG, Antony the Maitre'D in L'Etoile is awesome. He was always very attentive and made it a point to attend to small details (are there really any small details?!). The reception staff and bar staff always had cheery, positive attitudes and made sure that everyone got what they needed. The spa is in major need of an overhaul (they have not changed anything is many years), but we each still had 6+ treatments and they were all great (quite a bit pricier than at home, but you are in the middle of the Pacific so not a lot of competition).

As always, we met some great people on board. This is what is so ideal about PG's size. After the two week adventure it felt as though we had known some of our new friends for years...we already miss them and look forward to staying in touch.

If you have a PG trip planned in the immediate future...we are SOOOO jealous. If you happen to be in cabin 818, please take care it until we can return (this has been our cabin for both trips)! Bon voyage friends! :)

Mike and Bob

Eric,

You may have a better source that I, but we spoke with several officers on the PG this past two weeks and all stated that they were getting close to negotiating an extension through 2010. This may the corporate talking points, but there was no variance in this opinion. I guess that time will tell!

Mike

Mike,

I sincerely hope the charter is renewed. There is nothing like the PG in the area.

I really cannot profess to be an expert on Tahiti, etc., but I do see that the airlines have cut back their schedules significantly, Princess is going to be spending less time there, and some of the off-season pricing is pretty aggressive. I have also heard talk of the PG possibly being relocated in 2009. (That would be a GCT decision, I guess.)

As far as what is being said on board, I also cannot comment other than to know that crew tend to be the first to know the rumors - sometimes intentionally placed by the owners to keep them happy - and sometimes they are the last to know the facts. OTOH, "loose lips sink ships".

Hopefully it will all work out.

After 16 hours in the air, we are finally home...and already thinking about when we will return to French Polynesia!

For us as well. I am really pushing one of the 14 or 11 day cruises in 2008. Probably not to Fiji again because I want to see other islands.

And if the PG goes away after 2008 I will be kicking myself or my husband that we didn't get a chance to sail her again.

As I keep telling DH "This is why we work every darn day.

A few final thoughts on the trip. The Fijian Islands varied greatly. The primary cities were nothing special compared to the beautiful tropical islands. Regent arranged for a stop at a private island for our next to last day (to make up for the fuel stop in Suvo the prior day...a diversion from the schedule). The island was Malolo and was spectacular! The snorkeling was fun alothough the water was murky in spots due to the tidal activity. Lots of cobalt blue star fish and brightly colored swimming fish, too. In Lautoka there is not a lot to see in the city, however the sugar cane fields were sort of interesting. The mountain peaks were awesome. The Sheraton resort (for Regent air customers) was massive and just another very large, so-so hotel from our point of view. The check in was a hassle, but they did what they could to get everyone in to rooms. Our poolside waiter made a point of quoting President John Kennedy everytime that he made contact with us...not really sure what that was all about, perhaps just a deep admiration.

Folks told us that Savusavu and Suva are not really the best in Fiji and I have to agree. Malolo was just what I had in mind when I thought of what Fiji looked like.

DH's dive shop is doing a trip to Fiji over Tgiving 2008 so if I get certified that might be an alternative to another cruise on the PG. (Wait, who am I kidding?)

Air Pacific flies older 747's that they bought from Singapore Air. No first class, but a comfortable business class cabin. The economy cabin in a 3-4-3 configuration, so I am guessing that the seats are a little tight. The meals were below par for such a long international flight, but the crew was very nice. It is a 10+ hour flight to LAX, so an upgrade to business was a reasonable value for us.

It was a pit compared to ATN. Both our in seat screens died during the flight and we could not change channels.

I probably couldn't do the upgrade but I would spend the night in LA to recover. We had gotten a day room anyway so why not just spend the night? Of course Bill's boss called him today to make sure he is coming into the office tomorrow. I have to win the lottery. Really.

When it comes to PG, Antony the Maitre'D in L'Etoile is awesome. He was always very attentive and made it a point to attend to small details (are there really any small details?!). The reception staff and bar staff always had cheery, positive attitudes and made sure that everyone got what they needed.

I called Regent asking if they had Splenda and since they couldn't tell me they put it down as a "dietary special request." We had a note from Anthony in our cabin and first night I told him who I was. He told me that they were prepared to make any thing special I need with Splenda. I was pretty embarassed when I told him we just needed the yellow packets. We laughed about it later but the first few days of the cruise there seemed to be always someone there checking the sugar bowl before we sat down.

I think the food service is the only area when I would see the need for changes but right now I'm really sure what they could be. I found the food to be good and pretty much always available but I didn't have a meal that made me rock back on my heels and go "wow." But that didn't stop me from eating.

I liked having the various wines but being a wine newbie I might have liked a tasting or a seminar on what we would be having and how the wines compared/contrasted. But that is because I'm a novice I'm sure it would have been useless for most of the other passengers.

The spa is in major need of an overhaul (they have not changed anything is many years), but we each still had 6+ treatments and they were all great (quite a bit pricier than at home, but you are in the middle of the Pacific so not a lot of competition).

I had a mini facial and while it was pricey they did not try to sell me anything. So I liked that. Now that may have been because it was near closing for for them, my appt. was 7 pm, or because Nolan, the ship baby, showed up near the end of my treatment.

As always, we met some great people on board. This is what is so ideal about PG's size. After the two week adventure it felt as though we had known some of our new friends for years...we already miss them and look forward to staying in touch.

Yes, talking to folks from all over was one of the best parts.

If you have a PG trip planned in the immediate future...we are SOOOO jealous. If you happen to be in cabin 818, please take care it until we can return (this has been our cabin for both trips)! Bon voyage friends! :)

Mike and Bob

Caroline

Archived