Todd English

Kindlychap

Do they get sniffy if one makes a reservation for one? Or are parties mixed together?

If one can book a table for two for one, presumably there is no surcharge for being alone?

Matthew

Good lord. Surely if they sniff you can sniff back with the best of them.

IOW, I don't see why you couldn't be accommodated. OTOOH, I've never been, and you're my spy. So I'll shut up and let those who know carry on. ;)

I ate had a solo lunch at Todd English and they appreciated the business; it was almost empty. It may be more full for dinner, but dining solo should not be a problem as long as there is a table available.

I ate had a solo lunch at Todd English and they appreciated the business; it was almost empty. It may be more full for dinner, but dining solo should not be a problem as long as there is a table available.

Thanks. Angela is right in that I can outsniff them, but I'd much prefer not to need to!

I was thinking of the semiformal evening. It seems so wrong to have that on a transatlantic............ Hence doing something different.

Matthew

Thanks. Angela is right in that I can outsniff them, but I'd much prefer not to need to!

I was thinking of the semiformal evening. It seems so wrong to have that on a transatlantic............ Hence doing something different.

Matthew

Do you realise it would help some if you were in a Grill cabin? I read that somewhere here. :eek:

The mind boggles, the Earth tips crazily on its axis....Oh, just go and ask. I can't imagine them saying no.

Do you realise it would help some if you were in a Grill cabin? I read that somewhere here. :eek:

The mind boggles, the Earth tips crazily on its axis....Oh, just go and ask. I can't imagine them saying no.

Oh I will, don't worry! I'd be much happier in a Grill cabin too, but I'm sailing solo and can't justify the money. So it is my first time on Cunard that I haven't been Queens' Grill....

If I return with my wife, we'll go Queens' Grill then.

Matthew

Do they get sniffy if one makes a reservation for one? Or are parties mixed together?

If one can book a table for two for one, presumably there is no surcharge for being alone?

Matthew

Matthew

You'll have no problem getting a table for one. Like most restaurants Todd English is laid out with a mixture of mainly 2 or 4 seater tables, I presume they join tables together for larger parties. I've not heard of different parties sharing tables in Todd English. The surcharge for dining here is per person not per table.

As it's an extra charge dining room overlooking the stern (not just stuck wherever they could fit it in, to one side of the ship) it has a little (a very little) of the atmosphere that I imagine the Verandah Grills would have had on the old Queens, pity there is no dance floor and band there as well.

My advice would be to book a table as early as possible, either in the terminal if you can (there was no facility for me to do this when I travelled but I understand there sometimes is) or, as I did, as soon as you've boarded, either in person (I walked to the restaurant at the aft end of deck 8 starboard) or from your cabin 'phone.

And do try the fallen chocolate cake, wonderful.

Enjoy your voyage.

I don't think you'll have a problem at all with making a Todd English reservation. We booked on one of the casual nights and - although busy - it was never full. There are just those out there that balk at the idea of paying money for a specialty restaurant on a cruise ship. Oh well, leaves more room for the rest of us.

Unlike most of the "premium" restaurants on cruise lines Todd English is actually worth the extra funds. Oh don't get me wrong, Britannia is fine and still better than any of the main dining rooms on most mass market lines. Cunard wins the food contest hands down. Todd English however is the "at sea" experience of his restaurant.

And do try the chocolate fallen cake. There is a reason everyone on these boards rave about it.

Matthew, you have the right idea - don't go on any of the formal nights! Save that for the dining room and everyone's favourite - the Baked Alaska!:D (Okay, I just HAD to say that! Evil, David, Evil!)

David

Matthew, you have the right idea - don't go on any of the formal nights! Save that for the dining room and everyone's favourite - the Baked Alaska!:D (Okay, I just HAD to say that! Evil, David, Evil!)

David

I'm wondering.

If AA grade gives you a quasi separate dining area, does that mean that the Baked Alaska Parade is avoided by the upgrade?

Matthew

I'm wondering.

If AA grade gives you a quasi separate dining area, does that mean that the Baked Alaska Parade is avoided by the upgrade?

Matthew

Matthew

If it is, they should put it in the brochure "and guests in AA grade avoid the baked alaska parade". AA grade would then "sell out" first.

I don't think you'll have a problem at all with making a Todd English reservation. We booked on one of the casual nights and - although busy - it was never full. There are just those out there that balk at the idea of paying money for a specialty restaurant on a cruise ship. Oh well, leaves more room for the rest of us.

Unlike most of the "premium" restaurants on cruise lines Todd English is actually worth the extra funds. Oh don't get me wrong, Britannia is fine and still better than any of the main dining rooms on most mass market lines. Cunard wins the food contest hands down. Todd English however is the "at sea" experience of his restaurant.

And do try the chocolate fallen cake. There is a reason everyone on these boards rave about it.

David

Sheesh. Now I'm also a food snob, but here I go......

The Executive Chef on the Oceania ships is Jacques Pepin. Not that he's on the ship (sometimes he is), but classical French technique is in all the dishes His (insprational) hand is in every dish in every restaurant. Sorry, but Todd English is no Jacques Pepin.

I would still have a go at Todd English, for lunch.

I mean no disrespect to all of you who love the place, but well, Jacques rules. And it seemed he managed to get together a staff onboard the ships who are happy to follow along. Some have mentioned several of the Todd dishes and well, honestly, we've made them here at home.

Full disclosure: Jacques Pepin is my favourite chef ever for all kinds of reasons--he is the man.

I hope to be proven wrong and hang my head in shame when I dine there and find out how wonderful it is. But for some reason, when you all talk about Todd English, I feel like showing Jacques the love. Food snob thing, remember? :rolleyes:

Well Angela, its all a matter of experiences. I am far from the high end of the foodie crowd and must admit to being one of the pickiest eaters around. I have a simple rule - If I don't understand it I don't eat it!

I also hate to say this but I have no idea who Jacques Pepin is? Sorry! (In fact I never heard of Todd English before booking the QM2) So you could well be right! Honestly, I have very little of the "WOW" factor when it comes to celebrity chefs - either I don't know who they are or I feel they are just too caught up in the celebrity thing in believing their self importance. I am sure most of them are fantastic cooks but its a world far remove from my world.

I hear a lot of nice things about Oceania though and I am glad you have found your thing. Maybe you'll like Todd English or maybe not! No one can force you to like it. I just know that my own experience on the QM2 was that I enjoyed my night there.

David

At least I avoid McDonalds when I travel!

The Executive Chef on the Oceania ships is Jacques Pepin. Not that he's on the ship (sometimes he is), but classical French technique is in all the dishes His (insprational) hand is in every dish in every restaurant. Sorry, but Todd English is no Jacques Pepin.

I mean no disrespect to all of you who love the place, but well, Jacques rules. And it seemed he managed to get together a staff onboard the ships who are happy to follow along.

We're not huge eaters out. We live in a rural area, and on those odd occasions when we go to London, normally try to leave as quickly as we arrived.

Like David, Pepin was a new name to me. However, I have sufficient faith in Angela to make a note of his name in case the chance comes up in future to allow it to be relevant.

I feel I need to go to Todd English as much to experience it as anything else. I'd also be interested to see how it compares with the QE2 Queens' Grill. Finally, the idea of informal nights (other than first and last) seems so strange on a transatlantic that missing the main restaurant on that day might be a natural thing to do.

I'll play it by ear when I get there. Much will, I guess, depend on the quality of the Britannia!

Matthew

Well Angela, its all a matter of experiences. I am far from the high end of the foodie crowd and must admit to being one of the pickiest eaters around. I have a simple rule - If I don't understand it I don't eat it!

I also hate to say this but I have no idea who Jacques Pepin is? Sorry! (In fact I never heard of Todd English before booking the QM2) So you could well be right! Honestly, I have very little of the "WOW" factor when it comes to celebrity chefs - either I don't know who they are or I feel they are just too caught up in the celebrity thing in believing their self importance. I am sure most of them are fantastic cooks but its a world far remove from my world.

I hear a lot of nice things about Oceania though and I am glad you have found your thing. Maybe you'll like Todd English or maybe not! No one can force you to like it. I just know that my own experience on the QM2 was that I enjoyed my night there.

David

Jacques Pepin is not who you would call a "celebrity". He doesn't have a restaurant with his name on it. In public, he teaches at a school in NYC. All I can say is Google him or Wiki him to not totally hijack the thread. He really is so far and above the rest that well, the "celebrity chefs" are his fans.

He is, otoh, a "celebrity", because those who are the best cooks and are called in the media "chefs" hold him in very high esteem. Ha! I repeat myself. Wonder why....:rolleyes:

See, that's the food snob thing I was talking about. Sorry again.

We're not huge eaters out. We live in a rural area, and on those odd occasions when we go to London, normally try to leave as quickly as we arrived.

Like David, Pepin was a new name to me. However, I have sufficient faith in Angela to make a note of his name in case the chance comes up in future to allow it to be relevant.

I feel I need to go to Todd English as much to experience it as anything else. I'd also be interested to see how it compares with the QE2 Queens' Grill. Finally, the idea of informal nights (other than first and last) seems so strange on a transatlantic that missing the main restaurant on that day might be a natural thing to do.

I'll play it by ear when I get there. Much will, I guess, depend on the quality of the Britannia!

Matthew

You won't ever experience his brilliance in London as years ago he

decided to be more of a teacher, and he succeeds beautifully.

sigh.gif

He was driving late one night in upstate New York, and a deer stepped into the road and they collided. He sustained so many injuries (broken bones, etc) he was lucky to survive. After that he could no longer stand for hours, cooking, as a restaurant requires.

Before all this he learned he liked writing and teaching, which he does now. He has a weekly show on public television--if you know anything about cooking you are breathless at his technique and skill and long to have a bite of that dish he prepared, in his seemingly-effortless fashion. No, if you know/like/love cooking you are breathless at the effortlessness, everyone wants to have some of his food.

His autobiography is called, "The Apprentice". His most recent cookbook is filled with wonderful stories, too. He is the standard those of us who love to cook aspire to. I <3 Jacques.

I'll stop now.

Jacques Pepin is not who you would call a "celebrity". He doesn't have a restaurant with his name on it. In public, he teaches at a school in NYC. All I can say is Google him or Wiki him to not totally hijack the thread.

Non, c'est un "haut Jacques", and entirely justified to inform those who have not had the good fortune to watch him explain and demonstrate great cuisine. Not fancy, complicated stuff (his favorite dish at home is roast chicken) but what to do to bring out the best of the freshest ingredients and to present it elegantly. His shows with Julia Child (have you heard of her over there?) were classics. And not a man to be triffled with; he is the fastest knife in the kitchen.

Bon appetit, wherever you dine,

Paul

Non, c'est un "haut Jacques", and entirely justified to inform those who have not had the good fortune to watch him explain and demonstrate great cuisine. Not fancy, complicated stuff (his favorite dish at home is roast chicken) but what to do to bring out the best of the freshest ingredients and to present it elegantly. His shows with Julia Child (have you heard of her over there?) were classics. And not a man to be triffled with; he is the fastest knife in the kitchen.

Bon appetit, wherever you dine,

Paul

When asked the ultimate "chef" question, "What would your last meal be?", his answer was "Some good bread, with some good butter". Sigh.

And then you're making my head spin. Jacques and Julia--a dream pair. I thought of them and their show earlier today because well, I think of these kinds of things.

So I think you agree? <3 Jacques. ;)

Sorry, again. I promised to stop but you all keep egging me on.:eek:

David

David,

I don't quite know what one means when they call themselves a "picky eater", but if I may steal from something Paul mentioned....

On the Regatta there were some dishes which were called "Jacques Pepin's Signature Dishes!" Seemed a bit strange, but then again, not so much, as a roasted chicken was one of those Signature Dishes. And at some point one of the boys had it and pronounced it to be indeed, wonderfully delicious.

Again, I promise to stop talking about him when you all do. But I <3 Jacques and can't miss an opportunity. ;)

So, back to what you said, can you please describe what you mean when you say you're a Picky Eater? I have ideas but don't wish to assume. I mean, I thought I was a Picky Eater. But I am willing to try just about anything. Is that the difference?

Sheesh. Now I'm also a food snob, but here I go......

I mean no disrespect to all of you who love the place, but well, Jacques rules.

Full disclosure: Jacques Pepin is my favourite chef ever for all kinds of reasons--he is the man.

I feel like showing Jacques the love. Food snob thing, remember? :rolleyes:

BTW, Did I mention that Angela has been stalking Jacques for some time? <G>

Jacques lives fairly near me, and his wife DOES run a restaurant near me. Angela, did you pick up his latest book yet? There was an article the day after you and I originally discussed this. There was a really neat article and recipe. This endeared me. I HATE to waste anything, especially good food.

He takes all of the odd pieces of leftover cheese in his fridge (we are not talking velveeta or American Lard cheese here. We are talking REAL cheeses!) scrapes off any mold (yes, this is an accepted thing to do. Many of the best cheeses have no flavor until they are riddled with mold. Gorgonzola, for instance, and is an age old method of preserving cheeses. Rinds are created, often washed with wines, or more modernly, beers.) the mold is scraped to reveal nice ripe virgin cheese. All are thrown into a food processor and mixed with herbs and such to make a wonderful spreading cheese for a lavosh or other cracker or toasted pita chips!

Jacques and his wife do a lot of charity functions in our area. they have a truly provincial French kitchen. Very well respected in these parts, and not thought of like these Food channel idiots (no offense to any of them) that seem to thrive on the craziness and publicity and are more celebrity than chef Booby Flay, Emiril, etc. Jacques is more of a Julia Childs without the zaniness. Real actual talent.

Karie,

who just had some marvelous smoked Gouda on wheat crackers

BTW, Did I mention that Angela has been stalking Jacques for some time? <G>

Jacques lives fairly near me, and his wife DOES run a restaurant near me. Angela, did you pick up his latest book yet? There was an article the day after you and I originally discussed this. There was a really neat article and recipe. This endeared me. I HATE to waste anything, especially good food.

He takes all of the odd pieces of leftover cheese in his fridge (we are not talking velveeta or American Lard cheese here. We are talking REAL cheeses!) scrapes off any mold (yes, this is an accepted thing to do. Many of the best cheeses have no flavor until they are riddled with mold. Gorgonzola, for instance, and is an age old method of preserving cheeses. Rinds are created, often washed with wines, or more modernly, beers.) the mold is scraped to reveal nice ripe virgin cheese. All are thrown into a food processor and mixed with herbs and such to make a wonderful spreading cheese for a lavosh or other cracker or toasted pita chips!

Jacques and his wife do a lot of charity functions in our area. they have a truly provincial French kitchen. Very well respected in these parts, and not thought of like these Food channel idiots (no offense to any of them) that seem to thrive on the craziness and publicity and are more celebrity than chef Booby Flay, Emiril, etc. Jacques is more of a Julia Childs without the zaniness. Real actual talent.

Karie,

who just had some marvelous smoked Gouda on wheat crackers

Yes, I have the newest book, yes, I know about the cheese thing but we pretty much never have leftover cheese here to have a go at it, and btw, did you know that cheese is essentially a bacterial process? Without mold there would be no cheese, as it's well, moldy milk.

Food Channel now=idiots. I no longer watch it.

Archived