Westerdam Western Mediterranean

mickeyfitz

We are currently on day 7 of the Westerdam 10 day Mediterranean Enchantment. We left from Civitavecchia on Sunday after spending 3 nights in Rome and have had stops in Monaco, Livorno(Florence), Barcelona and Palma de Mallorca. Today is a sea day and then we have La Goulette(Tunis) tomorrow, then Palermo, Naples and it's over with our return to Civitavecchia. It's been a wonderful trip and I just wish the end was not in sight. I envy those people who are doing the back-to-back Eastern and Western cruises. The Westerdam is beautiful and its crew have been fantastic. Although I have to admit that I still prefer the smaller HAL ships such as the "S" and "R" class, the Vista class is a great design and I wouldn't hesitate to book a Vista ship again. I'll do a full report after we get home.

Thank you so much for your post! If you have a chance, could you please comment on three issues that have occasioned some comment here with regard to Westerdam's recent changes:

(1) How does the "line" of the stern look - is there a distinct unevenness between decks 5 and 6, or does it look ok?

(2) Are the verandas of the aft cabins on deck 5 completely shaded/covered by deck 6, or do they have some sun/exposure at the aft end?

(3) What do you think of the new configuration with the Explorations Cafe at one end of the Crow's Nest? Can you describe it in more detail?

Photos and a full report on your return will be EAGERLY awaited! Thanks again, and we're all glad to hear that you are enjoying your cruise.

We are currently on day 7 of the Westerdam 10 day Mediterranean Enchantment. We left from Civitavecchia on Sunday after spending 3 nights in Rome and have had stops in Monaco, Livorno(Florence), Barcelona and Palma de Mallorca. Today is a sea day and then we have La Goulette(Tunis) tomorrow, then Palermo, Naples and it's over with our return to Civitavecchia. It's been a wonderful trip and I just wish the end was not in sight. I envy those people who are doing the back-to-back Eastern and Western cruises. The Westerdam is beautiful and its crew have been fantastic. Although I have to admit that I still prefer the smaller HAL ships such as the "S" and "R" class, the Vista class is a great design and I wouldn't hesitate to book a Vista ship again. I'll do a full report after we get home.

Can't wait to hear your full report.

Quick questions:

1. Did you dock or tender in Monaco? (I was told tender, but someone else was told dock. If you tendered, how long did it take to get off the ship?)

2. Mallorca - Is it really 4 miles into town? (Which is what the shore excursions people are saying). Trying to figure how many euros for a cab each way.

3. Someone just posted a report and it sounded like her deck 7 VA had not been upgraded, or at least not with the flat screen TV's. So, is the upgrading still in progress?

4. Last - Which nights were formal? The ship Coordinator says second day and second to last and 3rd chosen by the captain. I was wondering if he chose formal in Barcelona which would not be a good day if one wanted to eat in town.

You will need to go back next year and do the East!

Glad to hear it's a great cruise. I will be on the 5/30 cruise and cannot wait. Heading to Rome tomorrow....Last time on the boards before we sail.....Your posting was perfect timing!

Bon voyage, edvalen! Have a wonderful time. Please do send us a report when you return!

Also anxious to read your full report. Will be eager to hear your experience with Naples. I just read today that they have 3 months worth of garbage lining their streets, some people are burning it and it can cause breathing problems. I'm thinking of skipping the tours in that port which would be a shame. Hopefully this has been overexagerated and you have a wonderful experience:)

Also anxious to read your full report. Will be eager to hear your experience with Naples. I just read today that they have 3 months worth of garbage lining their streets, some people are burning it and it can cause breathing problems. I'm thinking of skipping the tours in that port which would be a shame. Hopefully this has been overexagerated and you have a wonderful experience:)

Yes, but you can do a tour that leaves Naples....

I doubt there is garbage around the Pompeii and other ruins.

Archived