1st time massage on a cruise a good idea?

Fritzie

A question for you cruise and masssage experts--would it be a good idea to book a full body massage (our first ever) for the 2nd day of the cruise? Might the ship and massage combo make us woozy? Or would it be a perfect anniversary gift for my husband (which is what I'm looking for.) Any details you can give about the Lotus spa couples massage would be appreciated!

Thanks!

My husband and I always get a couples massage on our cruises. It IS more expensive than a land based massage but we consider it one of our treats for the cruise and therefore budget for it ahead of time. We have never felt woozy afterwards, just wonderfully relaxed. We tend to book our appointments for later in the cruise like the last sea day. We do so many active port excursions that it always feels great to get pampered after them. Have a great cruise and massage :D

MeowMom

I get massages all of the time, almost once per month. It's your anniversary? Do the couples massage! Keep in mind though that the ship's spa area is not going to be as spacious and luxe as what you will find on land at a nice resort. However, you really can't go wrong with a full body massage. Just think, if it's your first massage, it may open you up to a new way of relaxation when you're not on a cruise and you may find that you'll want to go to your local spa for a massage on a regular basis!

A question for you cruise and masssage experts--would it be a good idea to book a full body massage (our first ever) for the 2nd day of the cruise? Might the ship and massage combo make us woozy? Or would it be a perfect anniversary gift for my husband (which is what I'm looking for.) Any details you can give about the Lotus spa couples massage would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Don't waste your money.It is overpriced and lousy.They spend part of your time trying to sell you stuff.If they would just shut and do the massage it would be fine but after 3 tries, we gave up for good.Also the Reflexology is also a jip and the Hot stones are fine only if they stay with you.I found the stones to be too hot after a few minutes and she was not there to take them off so I knocked them off and she got mad when she came back,a small argument ensued and I left(long story).

If my wife tried to surprise me,I would be upset as an Anniversary gift.Spend the money on yourself on Formal night and wow him,I think he might like that more.I would:D .

We've had the pleasure of a shipboard massage several times.

They are pricey, but wonderful. We've also done the massage on the beach in Mexico (I suppose the price went up, it was $75 for a couple) and it was also wonderful.

Yes, they do try to sell product on the cruise ship, you just say no and they stop. It's just part of their job.

My favorite massage of all time was the foot reflexology combined with a scalp massage on NCL Star.

Yes, they do try to sell product on the cruise ship, you just say no and they stop. It's just part of their job.

quote]

They did not stop with me.

They tried to sell me something that they wash your feet with prior to the reflexology, then they handed me a foot chart and explained details, then they put hot towels on, then they started almost,they took this opportunity to explain the oils they were using and then in the middle mentioned about some sort of bee wax that would help me and on and on.

Out of 45 minutes, I doubt my feet were rubbed for half of that.:mad:

I would be so hesitant to have these people "touch" my back. Not knowing where or how they are trained, I would worry about what harm they might accidently do. Save your money and get a massage at home from a trained massage therapist.

if this is an anniversary gift for your husband, make sure that he wants something like a massage. While I love a massage (and facials and pedicures and ..) my husband does not really like a professional massage. Just be sure that this is something that he would like. If he would, then yes, it is more expensive than what you can get on land, but it is also a special occasion and maybe worth the spurge.

NJBelle

I would be so hesitant to have these people "touch" my back. Not knowing where or how they are trained, I would worry about what harm they might accidently do. Save your money and get a massage at home from a trained massage therapist.

How do you know that the massage therapists on cruise ships are not trained? I'm curious. Mine was as trained as those massaging me in 4-5 star resorts as well as my local spa/salon. Did I just get lucky? Where did you get your info that they are not trained?

The massage I got on my cruise was nice while it was actually happening, but within around 1/2 hour after leaving, I felt as though I hadn't even had one... it didn't leave me super relaxed or get any tension out like I had been lead to believe. It was a bit overpriced and I found myself wishing that I had saved my money for something I could have enjoyed more.

As far as the selling stuff goes.. when the girl started I said that I would have to "ask permission" before I could buy anything and she didn't push any more.

If you are going to surpise your husband, be sure it is something he would enjoy. I know that my husband does not like to be touched by strangers let alone a massage. I came up behind him once and simply touched him on the neck. He turned around and GLARED at me - then realized who I was and relaxed - you could see it in his eyes. I did not know before that time that I was one of the few people allowed to "TOUCH" him.

Other than that, I agree with all most of the other comments - you will enjoy it, it is worth it for a special occasion, but it is more expensive and usually not as professional/wonderful as other places.

Enjoy the cruise whichever you decide.

quote]

They tried to sell me something that they wash your feet with prior to the reflexology, then they handed me a foot chart and explained details, then they put hot towels on, then they started almost,they took this opportunity to explain the oils they were using and then in the middle mentioned about some sort of bee wax that would help me and on and on.

Out of 45 minutes, I doubt my feet were rubbed for half of that.:mad:

Did it occur to you some like those products and would like to buy them?:rolleyes:

Maria

Did it occur to you some like those products and would like to buy them?:rolleyes:

Maria

Great, but when I get a 45 minute massage, I expect a 45 minute massage.I did not buy a 20 minute sales presentation.If I want a sales presentation I will go to a timeshare sale.

Below is a steiner spa description.....

the new "aroma stone therapy," based on an ancient ritual that combines heated and scented oils with a full body massage using warm basalt stones, creating a relaxing and rejuvenating sensation.

Where does it state a sales presentation??:eek:

Just like you don't want to be pre-tipped in your job because you know your job, I don't want to be sold something during my paid time.

If after, you want to go over the stuff and try and sell it,then fine but not on my nickel.

If you've never had a massage before... well, my biggest thought would be that they are definitely higher priced on the ship and if you don't like it, you may feel ripped off, and that's not something you want to feel on your cruise. I have a massage therapist that I see at home - she charges $55 or $60 for a full hour. Day spas in the area charge at least $100. The spas on the ships I've been on charge even more.

My one spa experience on board was wonderful - I did a port-day special where you picked two treatments from a list of five, and it was about $100 - I picked a 25 min massage (and I'm accustomed to having a full hour and wondered if one that short would just feel like a "tease" - and it didn't!) and a ginger-lime scrub. These are definitely trained professionals. I made it pretty clear at the start that I am an extremely "low-maintenance" woman - they make you fill out a sheet with some health and some skin care information, and why you are coming for the treatment. I told the guy - soap & water on the skin, no makeup, towel-and-go hair - no fuss! I just wanted a little pampering. And got no sales pitch whatsoever other than one statement at the end that the products he'd used were available for sale - and that was delivered with a somewhat sheepish smile.

While it may be possible to get a massage on the beach in some ports for $20, those are the ones I'd be leery of - who knows what kind of training (if any) they have! Maybe that's what mamaofami was referring to... I'd think that for a lot of reasons (including liability) the Steiner spa people would only hire people with some kind of credentials or certification.

[quote name='cruisecruisecruise1234567;10276462

quote]

They tried to sell me something that they wash your feet with prior to the reflexology' date=' then they handed me a foot chart and explained details, then they put hot towels on, then they started almost,they took this opportunity to explain the oils they were using and then in the middle mentioned about some sort of bee wax that would help me and on and on.

Out of 45 minutes, I doubt my feet were rubbed for half of that.:mad:[/quote']

I'm sorry you had this experience, it has never been the case with me whenever I've had a massage. So, I'm thinking you were the unfortunate one to get a hard-sell therapist. The reflexology massage I had the girl was absolutely silent the entire time. The girl I had several days before for a full body massage suggested a few items after the massage and I politely told her no.

Luck of the draw, or in your case, bad luck. But not all massage therapists on all ships will people have the same experience. If a therapist was doing that to me, I may politely tell them I prefer a quiet massage. Or, maybe they thought your feet needed a lot more than a massage ;)

I am a massage therapist in Ohio. We are licensed by our State Medical Board here. I often tell my clients that "the only thing better than a massage is a massage on vacation":D Steiner beauty operates all of the spas on the mass market lines. This is a British company, and for the most part, the technicians are of such descent. The training in the UK surpasses mine here in hours trained. Like any massage or spa treatment, you need to go in open minded and happy. The therapist can give you the massage of a lifetime, and if you're on edge or worried about the sales pitch to come, you will not benefit from her skill. Yes, they will try to sell you. I listened to someone before my first at sea spa visit, and simply told her before my treatment that I would appreciate it if she did not try and sell me after my treatment. She did not, and I thanked her. Also tipped her well, and even bought a bottle of essential oil. I knew I wanted it before I went. Remember, it's vacation....BE HAPPY :D

Archived