Ladies, how do you pack your make up..

and not have it taken away from you when you carry it on? I want to pack it with my carry on, so how do I do this? I have heard they will even take your mascara from you? I have face pwdr that states it is 2oz which it is, will they take it? Please tell me your experience :p

Don't worry too much, as I travel with make-up quite often. Just make sure it is less than 3 ounces and put it all in a quart-size plastic bag. Only the liquids need to go in this bag. I put all the rest of mine (like eyebrow pencils, powder, blush, brushes, etc) in my regular make-up bag. I only put cream stuff and mascara in the plastic bag with my small shampoo, etc. Hope this helps. Jan

The past few times I've traveled since the whole carry-on restriction thing I packed my makeup bag w/my checked luggage (most of it is MAC - I'm not risking getting it taken away! :D ) and then I bring mascara, bronzer, & lip gloss in one of the zip lock bags in my carry-on for touch ups until I get my luggage back.

Laura

Any liquid or gel you pack in your carry on will have to comply with TSA regulations - 3oz or less all fitting into a quart size ziploc bag. Face powder and eye shawdow (assuming it's not liquid) wouldn't need to be in the bag since it's not a liquid or gel.

Depending on the brand of makeup you use you may be able to get a sample/trial size from the counter at your local department store. Clinique gave my daughter samples of the colors they used when she went to prom for touch ups. They are only good for 1-2 applications but you can pack the full size bottles in your checked luggage.

When you go through the security checkpoint at the airport, you will need to remove the quart sized zip-lock bag which contains your liquid cosmetics from your carry on and place it into one of the security totes for scanning - so, make sure that it is easily accessible. I usually put mine into one of pocket zips on the front of my carry on.

Double-check to make sure that nothing is over three ounces - they will keep those items.

As a reminder from one of the previous posts, you do NOT have to have anything that is not considered liquid or gel in the zip-lock bag. If in doubt, see the following link (the brief overview is shown below)

http://www.tsa.gov/311/index.shtm

Make Your Trip Better Using 3-1-1

3-1-1 for carry-ons = 3 ounce bottle or less; 1 quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag; 1 bag per passenger placed in screening bin. One-quart bag per person limits the total liquid volume each traveler can bring. 3 oz. container size is a security measure.

Consolidate bottles into one bag and X-ray separately to speed screening.

Be prepared. Each time TSA searches a carry-on it slows down the line. Practicing 3-1-1 will ensure a faster and easier checkpoint experience.

3-1-1 is for short trips. If in doubt, put your liquids in checked luggage.

Declare larger liquids. Prescription medications, baby formula and milk (when traveling with an infant or toddler) are allowed in reasonable quantities exceeding three ounces and are not required to be in the zip-top bag. Declare these items for inspection at the checkpoint

When we flew last week, I stressed over this issue more than my clothes and shoes!

I had some Clinique and Lancome sample sizes of eye and face creams, little .05 ounce size so I took those, along with mascara sample sizes. I hassled buying other toiletries in 3 oz. or less containers, we used them all up and pitched them (not refillable) before we flew home.

You don't need to worry about powders or pencils, anything that is not liquid or gel, so I packed those in a separate Ziploc in my carry on. I only presented the bag with liquid and gel to security.

After all the stress, next time I will only pack creature comforts in my purse (in a Ziploc) and all else will go into the checked bag. I flew home with toiletries in the size of a snack bag: lipstick and a tiny tube of hand cream.

If flying, I pack any liquids in plastic and put it in my checked luggage. Alot of my stuff is package larger than 3 oz--I'm not switching bottles to accomodate their stupid rules!

Mascara and solids (tube lipsticks) are fine in your carry-on, as are any powders. It's only LIQUIDS that have to be less than 3oz in your carry-on. You take take whatever size you want in your checked bags.

It is such a hassel that I am just going to pack mine in my checked luggage on our next trip. I use drug store stuff so if my bags get lost I can just buy more when we get there. I do carry lipstick and we were told the last time that it should be in the ziplock bag, but she smiled and handed it back to me???? If you do put your makeup in the checked luggage make sure that you secure the pressed powders like blush and eye shadow, I had some break and it was a mess. I had to clean the red powder out of my case in the hotel bath tub, it looked like a murder had taken place:eek: I will wrap those in soft cloths and secure them together next time.

My daughter had a bottle of expensive parfum in her carryon that wasn't in a ziplock (I don't know what she was thinking) they took it and she thought they threw it away, but when we got to the hotel room there it was in her bag...they were very nice at Memphis International.

Just be aware that the TSA goes by the number of ounces written on the bottle, not how much is left in the container. For example, even if you have just an ounce or so left in a 6 ounce container they will take it away from you.

With the number of people they need to move through the security lines, it makes sense that they would not want to get into guesstimating (and arguing) about whether there are 3 oz or 4 oz left in that bottle of perfume.

Mascara and solids (tube lipsticks) are fine in your carry-on, as are any powders.

Are you sure lipsticks are ok? Anything "gel-like" include tube lipstick/chapsticks are included in the 3-1-1-ban as far as I know. You can bring them but need to fit in the quart bag, I think.

Mascara and solids (tube lipsticks) are fine in your carry-on, as are any powders. It's only LIQUIDS that have to be less than 3oz in your carry-on.

Actually, I believe that mascara, lipstick/glosses/lipbalms, toothpaste, etc. and not just liquids are required to be put in the quart size bag to go through security.

This is from the TSA site "All liquids, gels and aerosols must be placed in a single, quart-size, zip-top, clear plastic bag."

Here is the link: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

My last flight was last month (April) and I too was stressing over the whole "liquid" thing because the last time I had been on a plane was the day they started this whole thing (last August). I very carefully pakced my make-up, but I was surprised when I was told that mascara and lipstick are fine. I believe they count lip gloss as a liquid, but not an actually tube of lipstick. I agree that it just makes the whole process of packing more of a pain, but I understand the reasons. What I am doing on our upcoming flight is put just the really important things in my carry on and everything else in checked luggage. Just hope they don't lose it, on our return flight home last August they lost our suitcase with all my make-up! It was returned the next day, but going on a cuise is different, can't wait for lost luggage. Oh well, I guess all we can do is hope for the best, these are different times now.

... I very carefully pakced my make-up, but I was surprised when I was told that mascara and lipstick are fine. I believe they count lip gloss as a liquid, but not an actually tube of lipstick. ..

Thank you for the info. I stand corrected!

Archived