Icebergs!

Normandie

Tomorrow, April 15, 2004 marks the 92nd anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic. I have been fascinated with this ship for a long, long time. Next month, I am taking my first cruise to Alaska, and according to the brochure photos there seem to be a few icebergs. The experience of seeing an iceberg in the water while I'm standing on deck is bound to be surreal--and perhaps the highlight of my cruise. The bergs in the photo appear to be very tiny (thank goodness!). I was wondering if they bump along the side of the ship slightly. Do they make noise? That would be quite an experience for someone like me! Also, where are icebergs most likely to be encountered--only in Glacier Bay, or on the approach to Skagway, or......??? My departure date is May 19. Sorry about all the rambling.

If you have the opportunity, on Thursday be sure to say a prayer for the 1503 people who lost their lives 92 years ago....53 were children under the age of 13.

I just did the Titanic exhibit at MOSI in Tampa last week. It was quite a sight. I've also done the Titanic exhibit in Cobh, Ireland, the last port before the sailing. Both were extremely interesting to visit.

I've done 2 Alaska cruises and the only place I remember seeing icebergs is right at the Glaciers. Hubbard Glacier and up in Glacier Bay, not out in the open water or near any of the cities. There are chunks of ice floating, although fairly small in comparison to the iceberg the Titanic hit, they do hit up against the ship. It is truly impressive to be in Glacier Bay and see ice everywhere.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;5;3;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Ryndam Pacific Coastal May 3

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;5;17;21;30;00&timezone=GMT-1000

Dawn Princess Alaska May 17

Archived