Santorini and fear of heights

Taking the donkey doesn't help because you'll be even higher! And the trip much longer.

If you sit in the cablecar facing the hillside and keep your focus on the person across from you, the several minutes will pass quickly. Or, you can close your eyes.

If you walk up , you still have to walk down and definitely will be challenged by the sight, especially if donkeys are working at the same time.

We loved the walk!!! We took our time and it probably took us 30 minutes, mostly because of the donkeys sharing the path and waiting for them to go by. The road is plenty wide and even though you are sharing it, there is plenty of room. The hardest part is getting started becuase you have to fight your way through the donkey line and continue to say "please excuse us were are walking". Once you get to the front of the line the trail yours.

Oh, boy, you and me both!!!

Here's what I did. The faster you get up there, the better, so I recommend the tram. Sit facing the water BOTH ways, and look at the horizon of water. Don't look down. If you keep your eyes on the horizon, it's like being on the ship, and it's not so scary.

Sit in the middle of the bench, and hold on to someone.

When we went to Santorini we took a ships tour and took a boat over to another dock. We then took a bus to Oia and a winery. That way we didn't have to do the cable car. I hate heights too. To get back to the boat we walked down the donkey path. It was a nice walk but somewhat smelly.

Julie

Just returned from a cruise calling at Santorini.

I have a slight hight fear but my father has a major one....The cablecar takes exactly 2 minutes from doors closing to doors opening. If you stare at the floor or even if you sit with your back to the hill and focus to the horizon it's not big deal.

The donkeys are smelly :) and the stairs are about 580!

As it was said, if you book an excursion from your ship, you will be tendered to another port, where tour busses will wait for you...

Have fun!

No, once you're up there you are in the town. It's got the usual cobblestone streets, and it's hilly like most Mediterranean towns. The views are magnificent. I don't have problems with that. I have SERIOUS problems with feeling suspended with nothing under me.

That new transparent bridge in the Grand Canyon? I would have a huge panic attack, and THEN probably a heart attack with that one!!!:eek:

So, once you're up there, it isn't an issue?

The road to Oia has no railing on the slope side. Although it's not straight down, it may still bother anyone with fear of heights. Do not sit on right side of car where you get a fantastic but scary look down the valley.

Fira is so breathtaking that you should not miss it. It offered the best scenery of my med cruise.

Has anyone with an intense fear of heights been to Santorini? Did you have any problems?

How hard is it to walk up the hill as opposed to taking the cable or donkey?

Yes, I have an intense fear of height. I got motion sickness on the Disney ride "Soar over California". I had to hold onto a fence when we went to the Stratosphere in Las Vegas and wouldn't even walk to the end to look out. Just made it to the top and stayed there.

You'll have NO problem with Santorini. We took the cable car.

My husband hates heights. We took a tour that stopped at another dock on the way into Santorini. I don't remember the exact tour, but we enjoyed it - little sightseeing, little walking around, little eating. We were dropped off in Fira and wandered around. There are some really nice cafes along the cliffside. We stopped to eat but hubby wouldn't look straight down. I thought it was a great view. We took the cable cars and sat facing the ocean. The ride is really smooth and short.

my husband has fear of heights - definitely don't walk- the donkeys stink and you really have to watch where you walk. this year we are going back and he is staying on ship.

really depends on how severe the fear is..we did the amalfi coast and the montecarlo coast and he had alot of bloody marys before we left the ship for the ride ( it helped)

Just came back from Santorini and I have an intense fear of heights. The cable car was quick and easy! Just go for it! This was my favorite port! The ride to Oia was scary since there was no rails. Take a private tour rather than a bus and sit on the left side. We used santoriniprivatetours.com. This tour was the highlight of our cruise. We had Nikos as our driver. He is also a photographer and took amazing pictures of us with his camera and put them on a cd. Also had the most amazing lunch on the beach. The best meal I had on my whole tripand I had some pretty fantastic food!! Cheap too!

Thanks for all the information. I have no intention of riding on one of those poor donkeys.

I am also going to Dubrovnik, Athens, Rome, Florence, Naples, and Nice. Which of those places could be problematic with a fear of heights. I really can't take driving in any mountains, but agree that taking a car, and staying away from the outside makes it more bearable. The bloody mary idea probably is good too.

Thanks for all the information. I have no intention of riding on one of those poor donkeys.

I am also going to Dubrovnik, Athens, Rome, Florence, Naples, and Nice. Which of those places could be problematic with a fear of heights. I really can't take driving in any mountains, but agree that taking a car, and staying away from the outside makes it more bearable. The bloody mary idea probably is good too.

I am deathly afraid of heights - when we were at the Vatican in Rome, we climbed the inside spiral staircase to the top of the basilica. Some people said they felt claustrophobic going up the ever-narrowing stairway, but for me, the trouble began when I stepped out onto the viewing area atop the basilica. I nearly passed out - had to hug the wall and then retreat back down the staircase after about two minutes. My husband thinks I am nutty ...

I, too, have a fear of heights but I had no problem with the short cable car ride in Santorini.

Walking the Wall above and around Dubrovnik was a bit of a challenge in a couple of spots especially at the very top which is not too wide and on the day we were there was very windy. I quickly hurried along that portion to get to the next large plaza! The Wall is spectacular and well worth a couple of minutes of angst. I just told myself that this was something I really wanted to do.

I guess it depends on how severe your fear is.

As I said before, it is that short, that you don't even have the time to realise what is happening :)

Go for the cable car.

Look at the horizon. I found it to be more relaxing than to look at the floor or close my eyes...

Take the cablecar, don't look if you don't want to (I didn't, terrified of high open places) and don't even think about the donkeys-our high school and college aged kids took the donkeys down and were terrified-and they aren't afraid of heights! and of course, do NOT walk down or up-the donkeys leave debris-you will LOVE Santorini-it's gorgeous. Try not to miss the beach-black sand.

Dubrovnik-the walls are a tad scary for a lot of people, I passed on the walls, one of my kids got spooked and came down to hang with me-there are plenty of other things to do there if you don't feel comfortable on the walls. In Naples, we went to Capri and then to Anacapri-the ride up to Anacapri was one scary adventure-again, kept my eyes closed and clutched my husband and prayed a lot-once you go up, you have to come down, which was yet another challenge. No matter what, you will be able to enjoy plenty of things, and medication could also help, if you aren't inclined toward bloody marys.

:eek: :rolleyes: I am quite afraid of heights and a couple of years ago I took the donkey ride up in the early morning. I stayed close to the cliff wall away from the edge and even ventured a few peeks down at the beautiful view. I didn't notice a smell and it was all quite clean. I actually loved it...and was allowed to give "my donkey" a treat at the end of the ride.

I had planned to walk down in the PM, but found the cobblestones covered with "donkey leavings" and saw a few people slide into a fall on the dirty cobblestones. I was then feeling desparate, wishing for a Xanax, and finally hired a donkey owner to guide me and the donkey down along the land side of the cliff. My husband was laughing hysterically the entire time.

While in town, I had no problem. The views are beautiful and the only thing that might be a problem for one with fear of heights are some of the cafes suspended over the edge of the cliff; there are many other choices, however.

NOW...to my QUESTION....Before resorting to the "donkey guide" we went to the cable car; however, it looked like you had to walk out over a large area of unsupported height before getting into the gondola (I could handle two minutes in one of those.). Would someone who's come down in one please tell me what the "standing in line and boarding the gondola" is like? Any problems there?

I'm taking my family on a cruise in September and Santorini is on the itinerary.

Thanks for any help you may be able to give me. It's not fun to be afraid of heights, is it?

MURPHYSMUM

Thanks for any help you may be able to give me. It's not fun to be afraid of heights, is it?

No it's not:(

The cablecar system was renewed some years ago. You can find some info

here.

Getting into and out of the cablecar is not big deal, you can't see the cliff and it is in a kind of a close building.

Previous Post: No it's not:(

The cablecar system was renewed some years ago. You can find some info

here.

Getting into and out of the cablecar is not big deal, you can't see the cliff and it is in a kind of a close building.

From murphysmum- Thank you SO much for the information and the link to the photo...The cable car really doesn't look so intimidating from the angle of the picture shown.

I appreciate your help!

Archived