Donkeys in Santorini

I just want to report what I witnessed in Santorini last week.

We were walking down the hill, and heard a hooves going very quickly. Around the corner of the cobbled steps came a young man on a donkey, which he was hitting repeatedly to make it go faster. Several people, including us, called to the man, telling him not to hit the donkey, as there was no need. The path was crowded, going up a steep hill. In response, the man got off the donkey, held him tightly by the bridle and hit him even harder. We really shouted at the man, and he raised the stick as if to hit us. Several ladies on the path started crying at this treatment of the animal as it was very distressing to see.

I do not wish to be flamed or start any animal rights debate - I just want to report what I [and at least 50 other people] witnessed.

I will not be visiting Santorini again.

Hi - Thank you very much for caring enough to report this.

I hope you will send a letter to the tourism department in Santorini stating that this obvious abuse of these poor animals will prevent you from revisiting the Island. That is the only way to affect change.

Good for you for standing up for your principles. You are definitely not an "ass".

What a troubling tale (or should I say tail). If the person was riding alone and than dismounted on the road before reaching the top, my assumption would be that he was one of the donkey keepers. As to hitting the donkey or even a horse with a stick, this is quite common, and when done properly it is generally not considered cruel. In fact, if you ever watch a horse race you will note that the jockeys carry a "stick" and use it when they feel its necessary. That being said, we have been to Santorini many times and always felt those donkeys looked like they had seen better days. For us, we will return to that beautiful island again and again and again, but we will take the funicular up the hill and avoid those poor animals. I would agree with some of the other comments (although not the rude comments) that its hard to condemn and entire island because of one jerk on an "Ass." That would generally be thought of as an overreaction.

Hank

During my visit to Santorini many years ago we were told that "when bad people die they come back as donkeys in Santorini".

I could never entertain the thought that I was the one to punish those wrongdoers. The whole scene seemed barbaric to me however I would go back to visit the island and see all of the places I missed, if the opportunity arose.

Fran

Thaks for your comments

Firstly the donkey was being ridden by a local, it was quite near the bottom of the hill heading upwards, and whilst I appreciate that jockeys use crops to make their horses go faster, the man was standing on the ground hitting the animal repeatedly around the head so this was definitely not a case of 'geeing' him up. It was also terrifying when he raised his very large stick towards us in a threatening manner.

I also did not like the fact that the donkeys seemed to have to stand in the sun all day with no visible means of shelter or water.

This incident has left an unpleasant memory of the island - this in addition to the fact that I thought it was horribly over touristy - with 5 cruise ships in on our day it meant 8000+ people trying to get up the hill and crowded streets. This is not the sort of place I like - so that contributes to the fact that I wouldn't worry if I didn't go there again. I withdraw my 'dramatic' final sentance which seems to have upset Jefarl

We did see collection boxes for the local cats and duly contributed. I will let the animal welfare people know if this incident but I doubt if anything will change.

Coxswain - you seem to be an animal softy too!

I also witnessed the donkey situation while in Santorini last fall. While I did not see the animals being hit, I did notice the horrible conditions they had to endure. I would NEVER consider taking a ride and I am barely 105 pounds. When I saw fat tourists riding up and down I felt so sorry for the poor little donkeys. They are mistreated by the local owners/carers (if you can call them that) and the large tourists who think they deserve to ride them. I am sure large people will be offended by my post. Sorry, but I do think there should be a reasonable weight limit so the donkeys do not struggle so much.

Cheers, Pam

PS We loved Santorini once we got past the donkey issues.

I was in Santorini last week and have to admit I rode a donkey up the hill (due to the long line for the funicular) and was appalled at the way they were treated. If I had had any idea what was going on I would not have got on that poor animal. The men who got you on and off were also very rude, and tried to collect money from me when I got on AND when I got off. I tried to pay for 3 of us with 12 euros, but he would only allow for me to pay for 2 and then wouldn't give me change. It was futile arguing with him.

Coming down, we stood in line for well over an hour to take the funicular down, and there were "only" 3 cruise ships in the harbor. Way too many tourists for the island to handle.

All over Greece I saw stray dogs everywhere..the steps of the Parthenon, in Rhodes, and Santorini. I felt so sorry for them. We were told they were rounded up in Athens before the Olympics and health tested and then rereleased. They weren't even neutered! This was my only complaint about my cruise: the way the animals were treated. Heartbreaking.

Leslie

Thanks for sharing this. I'm definitely one of "those animal rights people" and I'm ashamed to say I never even thought of the conditions the donkeys are in. We'll either do the funicular or maybe climb (I have been walking many miles and climbing stairs to prepare for the trip).

I believe Santorini is part of Greece. And if you think the donkey was mistreated, don't look at how the men treat their wives over there. It is a very backward Country, I felt as though I had gone back 50-100 years if you didn't look at the cars and electricity. For heavens sakes most of the women aren't even put on the auto insurance to be able to drive. And most of them don't go out without a father, brother or husband to drive them. I'm sure in Athens, there are some, but not in the villages around the Country. The younger girls break away from this once they reach 18 and leave home, so it may evenutally change, but it's not the U.S.

But if you are going to travel to these countries, you can't judge them. There is a well known phrase that comes to mind, "When in Rome do as the Romans do". While I myself would never hit an animal, there are plenty of others out there that do. Don't think we have the right as tourists to try and make changes. If the incident upset you so much, by all means, don't return, that is your prerogative.

I believe Santorini is part of Greece. And if you think the donkey was mistreated, don't look at how the men treat their wives over there. It is a very backward Country....

Greece - this is the same country whose ancient civilations gave us ...

coined money

maps

the thermometer

the lock

the harp

the hula hoop

democracy

and pizza

Animal cruelty is not to be tolerated anywhere and I applaud the few people on this thread who recognise that the donkeys are not treated well and who will, in their own way, no support the exploitation of them.

CruiserPK- No offense taken :) As a larger person, I would never dream of riding a little donkey. As an animal lover, even if I wasn't larger, I still don't support riding animals that are subjected to such horrific conditions. Thank you for letting us all know about the poor donkey! I, for one, will be taking the funicular when/if we go to Santorini!

• 1 month later...

I've returned from Santorini and took the stairs down at the end of our day (the line for the funicular was 1 and 1/2 to 2 hours long). We saw the poor animals firsthand and it was very upsetting. These are some photos my friend took:

Lugging heavy tourists:

697290830_43e576c00f_m.jpg

Wounds from the rope

696423937_32243a577d_m.jpg

A wire muzzle

696424761_bb481ad4bf_m.jpg

I will be in Santorini the second week in October. Will there be long lines for the funicular then as well?

What about going up when I get off the ship? I know I've read somewhere how this works, but I'm getting senile :D and can't remember if there's a bus to take me uphill or not. Riding the donkey sounds fun but not at the expense of the poor donkey being mistreated.

I will be in Santorini the second week in October. Will there be long lines for the funicular then as well?

What about going up when I get off the ship? I know I've read somewhere how this works, but I'm getting senile :D and can't remember if there's a bus to take me uphill or not. Riding the donkey sounds fun but not at the expense of the poor donkey being mistreated.

If you get off the ship early as we did (we made sure to be the first on the tender) you'll get right on the funicular.

Was not keen on riding the donkeys before this post & now glad out tour will start without having to ride them (it says our bus leaves from below--hope this is true!)--will take the funicular back.. Can someone confirm that some ship's tours do leave from below...

I believe Santorini is part of Greece. And if you think the donkey was mistreated, don't look at how the men treat their wives over there. It is a very backward Country

I think people get themselves in trouble when they judge another culture like this. I'm sure there are a lot of things that some other countries do that Greeks would find "uncivilized".

I have a very hard time witnessing any kind of animal cruelty. I usually say something and walk away. I will never ride a donkey in Santorini.

Albert Ross - a few Greek accomplishments you forgot to mention

Medicine

Art

Architecture

The Olympics

PS - I'm not Greek

hcat

Yes, the bus tours do leave from below. You will be taken by boat to a dock just a little way further along the coast where buses will be waiting. The boats are local ones, not the ship tenders. The buses take a very winding road up the cliff. I was very nervous, but it was OK. We came back via the funicular. There's no way I would ever ride the donkeys - it's just too cruel.

I am by no means judging the Greeks, Italians, or any other country. I simply do not try to change them. They probably treat the donkeys better than they treat their wives, was the point I was trying to make.

And I didn't mean backward in that they aren't smart or have intelligent people in Greece. I know the history of all the things that have come from Greece, Italy, etc. I mean living standards as we in the U.S. know. Microwaves, toasters, even heating in the house is done by oil radiator, some fireplaces, women don't go out without their husband, father or brother. They do their shopping on a daily basis because the cost of food is high, but also because the refrigerators are small.

It is a totally different concept than we in the U.S. have.

Ok, I'm greek and I don't like those things mentioned about us.

We are as civilized as all the people who leave in a "western" way of life.

We don't treet our wives bad.

We don't treat animals bad.

My mother drives, my sister has her own life etc.

What do you mean we don't let them on their own???

I just used my microwave to heat my dinner, i toast my bread in the morning and I use the telephone, the internet, the mobile phone, my car...

If you are talking about 19th century ok, that's the case. But that was the case everywhere then!

As for the donkeys, if you don't like the way they treat them, don't use them. If the demand for this kind of transport fell, maybe they would stop use them.

Ok, I'm greek and I don't like those things mentioned about us.

We are as civilized as all the people who leave in a "western" way of life.

We don't treet our wives bad.

We don't treat animals bad.

My mother drives, my sister has her own life etc.

What do you mean we don't let them on their own???

I just used my microwave to heat my dinner, i toast my bread in the morning and I use the telephone, the internet, the mobile phone, my car...

If you are talking about 19th century ok, that's the case. But that was the case everywhere then!

As for the donkeys, if you don't like the way they treat them, don't use them. If the demand for this kind of transport fell, maybe they would stop use them.

girogiosz, I am sorry if I offended you, but in the village I visited in Greece the wives get knocked around and beat up if they speak up to their husbands. They are not allowed to drive the automobile because they aren't on the insurance. The 18 year old daughter said she could not accompany me to do some sightseeing without her father or brother going with her. There was certainly no internet, no mobile phones, no toaster, no microwaves. They did have a TV with I believe 3 stations. They had just gotten a fast food restaurant in the village (and not McDonalds) just a sandwich shop. The other daughter was 10 years old and had never had peanut butter and jelly, Hostess cupcakes, twinkies (all the treats and fast food items we here in the U.S. take for granted). The NEW thing just arrived in the store, that she wanted me to try was shoestring potatoes (which we have had here in the U.S. since I was a child and I'm 60). The wives stay home and do the cooking and cleaning while the husbands go off to the bouzouki (sp???). And I certainly have never seen a priest riding a donkey down the center of town here in the U.S. If you live in the city, you may have all the same things we have, my version is a village in rural Greece, but it left a lasting impression. I certainly felt like I had gone back in time to 100 years ago, if it wasn't for the cars and electricity.

And I agree, if the tourists stop using the donkeys, the call for them will diminish. But I fear there will always be tourists that choose this mode of transportation on Santorini, the same as our Grand Canyon mule rides here. I don't ride them either, and I have no idea if they are mistreated or not. What one person considers mistreating, another feels is just discipline, for children as well as animals. Take the recent Iditarod racer that was disqualified for BEATING his sled dogs with a wooden board. He says he was just disciplining them, the onlookers said he was beating the dogs. Yet the vet found no cuts, lacerations, bruises, etc. Who was right? I certainly don't know, I don't get involved in telling others what they can and can't do.

I love to travel to new and exciting places, and I look forward with anticipation to seeing Mykonos, Santorini, and Corfu. It will be a totally different experience from when I visited Kalavrita, Akrata, Patras, Nafplion, Mycenae, and a lot of other small villages on the Peloponese Peninsula.

Archived