Istanbul - Airport - Money

I can't say that I've seen this particular question before.

Upon arrival in Istanbul, I planned on using an ATM at the airport to get Turkish Lira for taxi ride to hotel and some local use, additional taxi use. Will the ATM only dispense larger bills, and, if so, what are some suggestions to get something changed to smaller bills/coins while still in the airport? For example, tipping the taxi "facilitator", or not having to give large bills to the driver.

Thanks in advance.

We got some Turkish lira at the NY Amex office before leaving for a week in Istanbul. We used many ATM's but none at the airport. The cost of the visa was $20 US$ only. The taxi "facilitator" will gladly accept a few singles US$.

There is a table set up at the airport where a gentleman gladly makes change. I needed coins for the automated luggage cart. I don't know the length of your stay but many hotels will provide free taxi service or make p/u arrangements. I believe it cost us about 30 TRY from Ataturk to our hotel in Sultanahmet which the Sari Konak Hotel took care of.

Enjoy Istanbul.

Marty

Somehow I knew you would respond Marty!

Thanks, that is helpful information. We only have a couple days before boarding the ship, so it is mainly for taxi use. I may just pick up some lira before we go.

:)

The exchange rate is not usually favorable if you purchase foreign currency before you leave the U.S. There are quite a few ATM's outside baggage claim at Ataturk Airport. If the one you choose is an affiliate to your home banking network, you can avoid that 2nd transaction fee that would be assessed. In that same lobby area there are numerous currency exchange windows where I'm sure they would glady give you smaller bills if need be.

The exchange rate is not usually favorable if you purchase foreign currency before you leave the U.S. There are quite a few ATM's outside baggage claim at Ataturk Airport. If the one you choose is an affiliate to your home banking network, you can avoid that 2nd transaction fee that would be assessed. In that same lobby area there are numerous currency exchange windows where I'm sure they would glady give you smaller bills if need be.

Thank you. I'm aware of the various fees, but for what's involved I'm not concerned about spending a few extra bucks and it's not a big deal to me.

:)

Archived