Need urgent advice!

pkdof

We're traveling on Diamond Princess 11/20 sailing. "We" consists of my husband, our 9 year old twins and me. We have choice of either two aft double balconies (A744/746)--which means my husband and I have to split up amongst the kids--or a forward family suite D105. Of course the family suite costs more than the two doubles, but assuming I can get past the cost, is this a good suite? Is the forward position going to be too rough, or too remote? I have to decide by tomorrow.

Were I in the same position, I would opt for the two side-by-side cabins, and alter the sleeping arrangement as best suits you.

I personally don't care for cabins in the very front of the ship - too much wind across the bow, and they can be rough riders in heavy sea states, with a lot of annoying bow slap. (Plus it is a long hike to the aft elevators to get up to Horizon Court, etc.)

Michael

[COLOR=Indigo]Only going by the deck plans here but the A deck cabins have a wake view which many ppl love. You will not have to be split up with one adult and one child in each cabin (although it will probably be written in your docs like this) but the divider between the cabins will be opened up and you can put the kids in one cabin and adults in the other and walk between the two from the balcony. The family suite will be bigger as it's the size of two mini suites and has a bigger balcony. Depends on how much you are willing to pay for your cabins really.

My choice would be the aft cabins.

Cheers,
Kim[/COLOR]

[quote name='pkdof']Kim, are you talking about the divider on the balcony? I didn't know that could be removed. I also worry--can I trust 9 year olds in a cabin by themselves?[/QUOTE]

If it were me I'd have all four of us in the same cabin..and not necessarily a family cabin. We did that when our kids were younger, too young to be by themselves and did it in a standard balcony cabin with a sofa and upper on Carnival. It was tight and we only did that once, opting for a balcony cabin for us and an inside across the hall for the kids from then on, but it's doable.

I would think that they were too young to be by themselves. If the concern is quality time for mom and dad I'd get in early and reserve some babysitting time which is available for a nominal fee.

But that's just what I would do and have done

Our first Princess cruise (to Alaska) when the kids were 5 we took a quad balcony. When we went to the Caribbean, we went with my parents and had two mini-suites, dividing the kids amongst us.

[COLOR=Indigo]No expert here but yes the room steward should be able to open the divider between the cabins. If your worried about leaving your children alone in their own cabin is it possible to get a normal size mini suite which would be a lot cheaper than the family suite. They are bigger than a balcony cabin and you would have the kids in the room with you and have more room than the average balcony cabin. Just a thought! :)

Kim[/COLOR]

The minisuites are only for 3 persons, not 4, so they don't work. Think we're going to go ahead with the the two aft double balconies, rather than spend all that money for the family suite.

two years ago my daughter and husband and 2 sons took a cruise on the star and booked the mini suite that accomodated all 4 of them. at the time my grandsons were 10 and 12 and had no problems with the 4 of them in the mini suite and had plenty of room. i cannot seem to imagine that the mini on the diamond is smaller and it only accomodates 3 people. what does your ta say.call princess and ask them. we too are sailing on nov 20 but no children this time. have fun

Actually, some of the minisuites do hold 4--one berth folds down from the ceiling and a sofa bed. Look for the red dots on the deck plan. There would be plenty of room for the four of you, and the balcony has room for four.

Les

Archived