What to take and how to prevent sea sickness?

travgurl

I like Bonine. It is in the same section of the store as Dramamine. For me though, Dramamine makes me really, really drowsy. I don't get that with the Bonine.

If you are prone to seasickness, I would go ahead and take Bonine when you board and get in front of the problem. Then continue to take it 'as needed.'

I think you will find that you don't really need it once you get your sea legs.

Another Tip: I always pack a small cosmetics bag full of other medicines. Pepto, Tums, Emetrol, Band-aids, Sinus pills, Benadryl, etc. Better safe than sorry and if you need it you don't have to go track it down on the ship.

I also depend on Bonine, and I've tried most everything.;) I now take one about an hour before boarding the ship, and one every night just before going to sleep. Works like a charm.

I guess all lines do this, but Carnival for instance has 'free' tablets of meclazine (same formula as Bonine) at the purser's desk. You can also buy 100 meclazines at WMart for about $7-8.

Now.....A little hint from an old sea captain uncle of mine.....

IF you feel queasy while on the ship, do NOT go to your cabin to lie down. That's the worst thing you can do. Go to the frontmost part of the ship on an open deck, focus on something on the horizon (don't look down at the water!), and let the sea breeze hit you in the face. Deep breaths, and it will help you tremendously.:)

We also use Bonine. You can buy the 24-hour non-drowsy tablets, but a lot of people (including me) get a little "medicine heady" from a whole tablet.

My rule is if I suddenly become AWARE of how my stomach is feeling, then it's time for Bonine. Think about going through your daily routine. You only become aware of your tummy when you're hungry or sick. So, if your stomach interrupts your other thoughts and activities on board a ship, time to take the Bonine.

If you are NOT prone to car sickness or airplane sickness: take a HALF tablet when you are slightly aware of your stomach.

If you ARE prone to car or airplane sickness, then take a half tablet 30 minutes before you fly, or before the ship sails.

I find Bonine takes effect within 30 minutes.

Then, take half tabs as needed, with a dose of a half tab every 12 hours the maximum.

If you get really seasick, then take a whole tablet immediately. You might want to take a nap when it kicks in; depends on the individual.

We take half tabs at bedtime if we can feel the ship's movement. Works great.

Now, when you get off the ship after the cruise, if you have the off-balance feeling of still being on the ship (some people experience this mildly for up to a week), keep taking the Bonine. It helps.

I have never taken more than 3 or 4 half tabs in an entire 7 day cruise. The ships today are so stable that I don't find Bonine necessary very often.

I also keep some food in my stomach, but THAT'S not hard to do!!!:D :D

I got sick on my first cruise so I brought meclazine this time...and forgot to take it. Three days later I realized this and figured it was because this was a huge ship with less movement.

What to take: Over-the-door shoe storage (for all the clutter)... a lanyard for your seapass (have the purser hole punch it)... fewer shoes (but one good pair of walking shoes)... an extra collapseable bag for all the souvenirs and duty-free purchases... FRESH batteries for the camera (I bought a 10-pack around Xmas and ALL of them were dead when I went to use them on the cruise in April) - if I had known my battery charger would have worked with the ship's electrical current, I would have brought it and saved a bundle (I have the same one the ship was selling at the photo counter) - next time.

For warm climates: a case of bottled water (it's expensive on the ship) or a refillable water bottle with a strap... fewer dressy clothes (only bring stockings for the formal nights and socks if wearing sneakers, the rest of the time you'll be in sandals)... more bathing suits (even if you don't hang out at the pool, the tankini tops are cooler)... higher spf sunblock - AND USE IT!

And if you don't regularly use it at home, don't bother bringing it on the cruise 'cuz you'll be to busy to remember to use it like that new makeup, fancy electronics (just bring the headphones for the inflight movie and save $3), that book you never finished, new lotions and bugsprays - stick with the routines you are comfortable with.

Peggy makes a great point about keeping something on your stomach. I find that when I am hungry the extra stomach acids will make me feel more queezy on the ship. However, if I eat a little something (which as Peggy also points out is not hard to do!!!), then I feel better. So, if you are prone to feeling a little seasick, try to keep something on your stomach.

There are many things available in your local drug store to help stave off seasickness. We've found Dramamine and Bonine to be the best ones. Both also come in a chewable version that works great for kids. The Dramamine tends to make my kids a bit sleepy (not a bad thing for plane rides) while the Bonine doesn't.

If you're looking for a non-medicinal alternative, I strongly recommend SeaBands. They're elastic bands that look like regular tennis wristbands, but they have a little white plastic disc that sits inside them and applies just a hint of pressure on the inside of each wrist. This is an accupressure point that will make the nausea go away naturally, without drugs.

I wasn't sure if they would actually work, but I bought them last year before our Mediterranean cruise, and they were a lifesaver! They worked not only on the ship, but during our excursions as well (which included some bumpy drives in a few places). Now that we're home, I keep them in my car for long rides and also tote them along when I chaperone school field trips. They definitely come in handy and were a great purchase. They were about $10 in my local CVS, so they're inexpensive, too.

I hope this helps. Enjoy your cruise!

--Lisa

I also take Bonine or the generic form, Meclazine. I take it the evening before I cruise so that seasickness doesn't get started. I usually take it for a few days and then if the water is not too rough I slack off. I usually don't take any after those initial few days although I usually cruise for 30 at a time.

Fran

DH and I each took 2 meclizine Saturday night at 11pm to try it out and see how our bodies reacted. The directions said take 1 OR 2.

WOW!! I can see why you aren't sea sick if you take it--we were both knocked out. Took it at 11pm--crawled out of bed at 9:30AM to go to church, ate lunch and went back to bed for a 4 hour nap! I finally felt "normal" around 6 PM. DH had the same response as I did but he also had horrible cotton-mouth. We had such a "hangover" feeling all day.

FYI: I bought over-the-counter meclizine at Target

(motion sickness relief)--compare to the active ingredient in Dramamine Less Drowsy

Active ingredient in each tablet: Meclizine hydrochloride 25 mg

Wow, Vesta! Good thing you tried it at home before your cruise. I wonder if it is exactly the same ingredient as Bonine. Like I posted earlier in this thread Dramamine does me like that, the way you described your Target Generic. But Bonine does not seem to bother me. Of course, I only take one pill. Perhaps you will have to back your dosage down to 1/2 tab like Peggy suggested and/or get those bracelets . . . Yikes! Good that you found out now!

Wow, Vesta! Good thing you tried it at home before your cruise. I wonder if it is exactly the same ingredient as Bonine. Like I posted earlier in this thread Dramamine does me like that, the way you described your Target Generic. But Bonine does not seem to bother me. Of course, I only take one pill. Perhaps you will have to back your dosage down to 1/2 tab like Peggy suggested and/or get those bracelets . . . Yikes! Good that you found out now!

We should have started with 1/2 and worked our way up. We just thought if we were REALLY sick, we'd want the full dose. I called the Dr. yesterday for a script for the patches.

DH and I each took 2 meclizine Saturday night at 11pm to try it out and see how our bodies reacted. The directions said take 1 OR 2.

WOW!! I can see why you aren't sea sick if you take it--we were both knocked out. Took it at 11pm--crawled out of bed at 9:30AM to go to church, ate lunch and went back to bed for a 4 hour nap! I finally felt "normal" around 6 PM. DH had the same response as I did but he also had horrible cotton-mouth. We had such a "hangover" feeling all day.

FYI: I bought over-the-counter meclizine at Target

(motion sickness relief)--compare to the active ingredient in Dramamine Less Drowsy

Active ingredient in each tablet: Meclizine hydrochloride 25 mg

You can also buy the non-drowsy version. In either case it is a good idea to start taking this several days before your cruise instead of waiting until you are sick. People react differently to being at sea. To some, seasickness will never/almost never be an issue. To others, 4-5 ft seas will turn them green. Most of us are somewhere in between. Plean ahead until you know where you fit. We use over the counter meclizine.

What are the necessary items to take with us on our first cruise? What do you take to prevent sea sickness?

I tend to get motion sick, ever since i was a kid, I found that Candied ginger works great, i just take it when i get on boat, and trough out first day, and then take as i need afterwards. This worked great for me, and was easy to take, my husband took some also. You can purchace at a health food store. The only day this wasnt enough was on the last day of our cruise at sea, when it was very rocky, then i needed t take a pill. Remember just like when your pregnant (if your a female), make sure your stomach is full, before your feeling sick, you get motion sick easier on a empty stomach, or a stomach full of liquid.

hope this helps, im sure glad someone suggested candied ginger to me, its easy with no side effects.

If possible, you should get your doctor to call in a prescription for the patch. Its worth every Penny!!

It save DH and I on the Glory last week. Rough water, if we hadn't of had the patches, it would have been a terrible vacation.

:(

Dramamine is dymenhydrinate, which does tend to have a "hang over" effect. Dramamine Less Drowsy is meclizine. Bonine is also meclizine, as is Antivert.

Meclizine makes me just as drowsy as the Dramamine. So vesta was smart to try it out ahead of time.

It would be a shame to have your cruise spent in your cabin.....sleeping that is! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Just remember to use the patch if you are going to have rough seas!

It will still work after you have gotten seasick, but it takes time. Just remember... it is better to prevent it in the first place rather than having to visit the "throne room" all day long.

I know I sound like a medical case, but I guess when it came to sea sickness meds--I was

Back page of Transderm Scop (patches) insert:

"Drug Withdrawal/Post-removal symptoms: Symptoms such as dizziness, nausea, vomiting and headache occur following abrupt discontinuation of ...These symptoms usually do not appear until 24 hours or more after the patch has been removed."

Well, it happened to me. The patch worked great on the cruise. I put one on Sunday AM when we boarded the ship, replaced it on Wednesday, and took it off in the airport on Saturday on the trip home. Within 24 hours...WOW, it was awful. My husband says he hasn't seen me that sick in the 21 years we've been married.

I am typically a healthy person. I don't usually get motion sickness in cars, but the rides at an amusement park will leave me spinning. That is why I was concerned and trying to be proactive about motion sickness. Live and learn.

On a positive "patch" note...

My husband didn't use anything the entire cruise, but we had one nasty sea day. I was fine, but he was not. He put the patch on, laid out on deck with the breeze hitting his face for about an hour and was a new man. He did not have any reaction.

It's definitely worth trying whatever medication you choose before you cruise, and if rough weather is forecast, take your medication before you start to feel ill.

Bonine works well for me, and has no noticable side effects, so it's what I usually take. Its only when we're in really rough weather (e.g. most of the crew are also ill, the elevators are out of action, the bars are closed and it's difficult to walk) that Bonine isn't 100% effective.

Phenergan tables work extremely well for me, but have the side effects of knocking me out within 20 minutes. Which, at 11:30pm when the ship is crossing the Atlantic in a force 10 gale with large waves, is a real benefit. BTW, I believe Phenergan is the active ingredient in the "magic injection".

I've been on a ship in rough weather (which made the "Events at Sea" website in the "High Seas" catagory), and by taking precautions, neither myself or my wife were the slightest bit ill, in fact we had a fantastic time.

Archived