Denali Help!

jer

We are hoping to take the AM Tundra Wilderness tour the day after we disembark our Princess Cruise in Whittier. The trick seems to be that you can only get your tickets the day before the Denali tour (apparently unlike the shuttle bus...I'm still puzzled by this). We have been told the Visitor Center closes at 8 pm during our stay and that we can pick up the tickets there before that time.

We are considering alternative plans (changing days or taking the shuttle), but are disinclined to do that. I would like your opinions on the following:

1. How difficult/risky do you think it will be to disembark (probably being assigned to the end of the disembarkation schedule), deal with any luggage issues, get the Princess transfer from Whittier to Anchorage airport, pick up a rental car and drive to Denali's Visitor Center in time to pick up our tickets?

We are willing to do this driving for speed (within the bounds of the law) rather than exploring or sightseeing because we will be doing the reverse drive very leisurely with more than enough time to explore.

I'm seeing varying information on drive-times. Frommers says "less than 5 hours." Some posts say 5-6 without stops...others 5-6 with stops and I've seen one post that says they did it in 3, although I take it they were going very fast.

2. Another alternative is to take the PM Tundra Tour. Conventional wisdom says less wildlife. Is this true? How is AM v. PM likely to affect our visit?

In my opinion, you are better off on the shuttle anyway. I don't understand who is telling you that tickets can't be picked up until the day before. If you have a reservation on the tundra tour, you should be able to have tickets mailed to you or be on the list and get them on the bus when you bet there. The evening tour may be fine, animals should be out early in morning and in evening. On our trip and three trips into denali, we did not see many on our late evening drive down the paved 13 mile portion of the road that we did the night we came in from Anc. The drive from Anc is about 230miles of two lane road, and will probably take about 5 hours. You can drive faster but passing slow vehicles can be a pain, especially if it is raining.

I think I have solved my own problem! In fact 2 solutions. For the benefit of others:

1. As it turns out you can book the tour through Denali Park Resort (800) 276-7234. They charge a $10 premium but the tour leaves from the hotel (good at 5:30 am) and I can pick it up at my denali area hotel whenever I check it! $10 is worth the peace of mind.

2. Or I can buy a shuttle ticket and cancel it if I get to the visitor center in time and there is a tour available.

Now I can just debate whether I want the tour or the shuttle. Thanks.

Same buses, same road, shuttle buses go all the way to the end, mile 95 or whatever, where as tundra tour goes to mile 53 Toklat River area. Shuttle about $23 each, tundra tour about $78. Shuttle bring your own food and drink for 6-8 hrs, tundra tour gives you drink and box lunch. Box lunches are available in hotel area outside of denali. Both shuttle and tundra tour should give you photo stops, narration, etc.

Both also stop about every 1 1/2 hours for a strech. icon_smile.gif Shuttles are my preference too. Go with what is best for you and what fits your needs. As having driven Anchorage - Denali Park MANY times- 5-6 hours with brief stops is about ball park. As mentioned- it is a 2 lane road that can come upon slower moving traffic.

Archived