West Coast Cruisers I have great New (Mariner of the Seas coming March 2009)

[quote name='Virginia Zees']According to the schedule on Cruise Match the Mariner Mexican Riviera sailings start 8 Mar 09 and go out till 30 Aug 09.[/quote]

Any idea when they will post this publicly? I mean from your own personal experience of seeing them on Cruise Match and then on the public sites?

[quote name='suziehmkr']Any idea when they will post this publicly? I mean from your own personal experience of seeing them on Cruise Match and then on the public sites?[/QUOTE]

It could be out in the next couple of days or weeks.

It all depends on how they are doing on the support requirements for a Voyager class ship on the West Coast.

I wonder what this will mean for Vision and Monarch? The last batch of rumors (which had Adventure coming here, I believe) was that Monarch would take over Empress' Southern Caribbean route and Vision would do the 3/4 nighters, although that would mean giving up 500 passengers on a route that has to be a HUGE money maker for RCI, if our bar tabs are any indication.:rolleyes:

We loved Mariner when we were on her in March, and would never consider a Mexican Riviera cruise, unless we could go on a ship that we absolutely LOVED! Mariner would be the ship that would/could change our minds. A one hour flight out of Reno to L.A. sounds much more appealing than a 5 hour connecting flight to the east coast, too. I'd also love to find out when the repo cruise is to take place.
With a ship like Mariner, the ship is truly the destination!
Great news!!!

This would be the best news yet for us! I would sign up in a heartbeat for the Mexican Riviera on the Mariner. A Voyager Class ship? Wow.. Two weeks ago, when I booked Voyager on the Monarch, the loyal ambassader and I were talking about getting a Voyager class ship to the WC. He said to me then that it would probably never happen because of the dry dock facilities (or the lack thereof) and the repo couldn't go through the canal as the Voyager class ships are too big.

I too, am with Jim (Isujim) on this.. I would love to do the repo cruise. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a Voyager class ship on the WC. I for one, think its time for RCI to bring us something else than Monarch. (Although she is a grand ship...).

When will the general public know? In other words, when will we know if it's rumor or fact? (Short of booking the cruise of course!)

Dona :)

[quote name='lawsoncd3']This would be the best news yet for us! I would sign up in a heartbeat for the Mexican Riviera on the Mariner. A Voyager Class ship? Wow.. Two weeks ago, when I booked Voyager on the Monarch, the loyal ambassader and I were talking about getting a Voyager class ship to the WC. He said to me then that it would probably never happen because of the dry dock facilities (or the lack thereof) and the repo couldn't go through the canal as the Voyager class ships are too big.

I too, am with Jim (Isujim) on this.. I would love to do the repo cruise. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a Voyager class ship on the WC. I for one, think its time for RCI to bring us something else than Monarch. (Although she is a grand ship...).

When will the general public know? In other words, when will we know if it's rumor or fact? (Short of booking the cruise of course!)

Dona :)[/quote]

All anyone can tell you at this point is "Stay Tuned for Further Developments". I believe that when and if this is made public there will be a lot of publicity given it by RCI. It is a major development that they will play for all it is worth.:D

[quote name='mike45orlando']I suppose that port canaveral will get the first Genesis class ship if this is true?[/quote]

I doubt that. My bet is Miami will receive both Genesis class ships. One major drawback that I see for a ship holding up to 6400 passengers is that they need major airlift and Orlando is 45 minutes to an hour away from Pt. Canaveral. Miami has both Miami International and FLL that can handle the crowds much better. Also if PC is going to get a larger ship then they need more parking and larger terminal facilities of which they are working on either at this time.

[quote name='Lightsluvr']Can you imagine the rough seas... uuuugh... :eek:

LL[/quote]

But LL.........it's all part of the experience:D

That's funny. The Freedom and two big sisters all down there in Miami? NO WAY! If Mariner is leaving us then a larger ship will follow her here to port Canaveral. no doubt. The best port in the world for getting on, off, in, and out. Good luck west coast if this is true :-)

A counselor I talked to at the Platinium/Diamond line had similar information about Mariner moving to the west coast in March of 2009 but said it was very up in the air.

As of March, 2009, RCCL at this point, only lists Sovereign as sailing from Port Canaveral so don't what ship would be brought in to replace Mariner if this all came about. But it would make sense to move Freedom or Liberty to PC if a Genesis ship was moving to Miami.

I hope they keep a big ship in PC as it is so convenient for folks like me in the south as well as folks in Central Fla. PC is so easy to get in or out of if you are driving.

[quote name='mike45orlando']That's funny. The Freedom and two big sisters all down there in Miami? NO WAY! If Mariner is leaving us then a larger ship will follow her here to port Canaveral. no doubt. The best port in the world for getting on, off, in, and out. Good luck west coast if this is true :-)[/QUOTE] From your mouth to God's ears!!!!!

[quote name='mike45orlando']That's funny. The Freedom and two big sisters all down there in Miami? NO WAY! If Mariner is leaving us then a larger ship will follow her here to port Canaveral. no doubt. The best port in the world for getting on, off, in, and out. Good luck west coast if this is true :-)[/QUOTE]

If both Genesis Class ships do end up sailing from Miami (which is likely) then the two Freedom Class ships currently there will be moved to other ports (Cape Liberty maybe?). :)

Mariner leaving PC??? Say it ain't so!

But if that's the case, I would love to see them bring in a Freedom class ship that does a 10 night Southern Caribbean... it would be nice to do So. Carib from somewhere besides San Juan.

[quote name='mike45orlando']That's funny. The Freedom and two big sisters all down there in Miami? NO WAY! If Mariner is leaving us then a larger ship will follow her here to port Canaveral. no doubt. The best port in the world for getting on, off, in, and out. Good luck west coast if this is true :-)[/quote]

Again if PC wants a larger ship then they have to prepare for one. Right now they do not have the parking or a proper size terminal to take care of a Freedom or Genesis class ship. The largest terminal in PC is #10 and it can only accommodate 3700 passengers. A full Freedom class ship can hold up wards of 4400 passengers. The turning basin also presents a potential problem. I'm sure a larger ship will do well in PC but they need to get busy and improve some areas to do so.

[quote name='isujim']Hey Dona

I wonder HOW MANY days that repo would be.....??? I'm ready.....sign me up for that one.:)[/quote]

Jim: I'm thinking anywhere from 21 days to 40 days... If you and Rena go, I'll go :)

I would just have to figure out a way to do it with the darn work thing in the way!

D :)

[quote name='suziehmkr']If this happens... anyone interested in a CC group cruise? Preferably the week of June 21st - but any summer week would be good! This would allow those that can only sail during summer break to participate in a group cruise on the West Coast!

If there is enough interest, I will be happy to head it up. Yes - I am THAT excited if this really happens![/quote]

Sure hope it's true.............We've been waiting for a long time for a bigger, better ship to come to the West Coast. I know there are many like us who are loyal to RCI but have jumped ship to Princess for the Mexican Riviera as Princess has newer ships for this itinerary.

Please keep us in mind for a CC cruise. We'd love to have a Voyager class ship on the West Coast. Maybe RCI really is listening. :)

[quote name='suzyluvs2cruise']Please keep us in mind for a CC cruise. We'd love to have a Voyager class ship on the West Coast. Maybe RCI really is listening. :)[/quote]

Sue - I will keep you on the list. As soon as it is official, I will start an official "interest" thread to get the ball rolling. And I will come back here to link it.

Still cautiously optimistic. :)

[QUOTE]Sure hope it's true.............We've been waiting for a long time for a bigger, better ship to come to the West Coast. I know there are many like us who are loyal to RCI but have jumped ship to Princess for the Mexican Riviera as Princess has newer ships for this itinerary.

Please keep us in mind for a CC cruise. We'd love to have a Voyager class ship on the West Coast. Maybe RCI really is listening.[/QUOTE]

I'm clicking my ruby slippers together "there's no place like a Voyager class...there's no place like a Voyager class." :)

[quote name='lawsoncd3']<snip>. He said to me then that it would probably never happen because of the dry dock facilities (or the lack thereof) <snip>h[/quote]

OK--I have to say I have complete ignorance on this subject, but several postings on this thread have said there is a lack of Dry Dock facilities on the west coast...This seems awfully hard to believe.

How close does the DD have to be to the cruise route? For example, it is my understanding that there is a DD in Vancouver.

From what I remember, there were several naval shipyards in Oakland, that I believe are now in private hands. You can see all kinds of dock yards and equipment in Oakland as you cross the Bay Bridge. Nothing in there is a DD sufficient in size?

Long Beach?

San Diego?

None, really?? Or is it a matter of RCCL getting access to it?

Wow.

Maybe the Port of Stockton should build a DD!!!!:)

(Yes, there actually is a deep water port in Stockton.)

Archived