Splendour of the Seas questions

A group of us will be sailing the Splendour, leaving Venice on June 23. We're looking for some help on a few things.

First, we have to fly in the day before the ship sails, and we are staying in a hotel close to Marco Polo. What is the easiest way to get the ship, and do you know about what the cost is?

Second, the ports of call are Dubrovnik, Kusadasi, Santorini and Corfu. From what I can tell on the message boards, it looks like Kusadasi is the only port where a ship excursion or private tour is necessary. The other ports seem to be okay for do-it-yourself-ers. Any thoughts on this are most appreciated.

Third, what kind of activities are on board the ship during the cruise days? One member of our group really enjoys the onboard art auctions (although she never buys anything). Are there art auctions on board?

Thanks for anyone and everyone for your comments and thoughts.

A group of us will be sailing the Splendour, leaving Venice on June 23. We're looking for some help on a few things.

First, we have to fly in the day before the ship sails, and we are staying in a hotel close to Marco Polo. What is the easiest way to get the ship, and do you know about what the cost is?

Second, the ports of call are Dubrovnik, Kusadasi, Santorini and Corfu. From what I can tell on the message boards, it looks like Kusadasi is the only port where a ship excursion or private tour is necessary. The other ports seem to be okay for do-it-yourself-ers. Any thoughts on this are most appreciated.

Third, what kind of activities are on board the ship during the cruise days? One member of our group really enjoys the onboard art auctions (although she never buys anything). Are there art auctions on board?

Just came in from TA on Splendour. We took a taxi from the ship to our hotel. Price was 20 euros, but I think we got took. MAKE SURE to ask the cab driver for his price before you get in the cab. I heard others that only paid 14 and 16 euros for the same hotel. We ask before taking cab to the airport and it was 25 euros, a much longer cab ride. There were auctions every day on our cruise. Lots of trivia games during the day, poolside contests, etc. We found it nice to mostly just relax and enjoy the ship.

Hope this helps and enjoy your cruise.

I sailed SOS in february and march, and there were art auctions, but we didn't do that. There were shows, of course, we didn't go to all of them, there was a scrapbooking class in one of the lounges, which was really fun and we had a funny guy from Cuba teaching it! There was pretty much the usual stuff you find on sea days. I loved walking around the jogging trail and just people watching. The cruise director and other dancers did the Village People. I didn't go to that but watched it later on tv. Have fun on your cruise!!!

We sailed her in January. She's a fine ship. I don't go to the auctions, so we just ignored them, I never like anything they have and I see it on every cruise. But the champagne is free:rolleyes: .

The shows are good to excellent. If we aren't too tired we'll go to one. The magician is usually the best act to see.

The food was very good and we had an excellent waiter.

I would sail her again in a heartbeat.

We also did the TransAtlantic on the Splendour 4 weeks or so ago and had an exceptionally enjoyable time. In my opinion, the ship was in wonderful condition and the staff was particularly friendly! Yes, there were Art Auctions almost daily (if not daily) and there were many. many activities - from rock wall climbing to crafting and walking and line dance classes, etc.

On our 13 day cruise we participated in many of the "ship shape" dollar activities - we normally don't do that, but because of the 6 days at sea we thought it would be fun - and it was! One example - there were suppose to be something called "Golf Putters" - or something - I'm not remembering the exact name correctly but the ship didn't have the proper equipment. Well, the activity director in charge of this created his own game using whatever he could find. He used a bar "glass" - a plastic glass from the bar and stones from the artificial plants around the pool. We did a stone throw, a stone ring toss and we had to "drop" the stone into the glass similarily to how a chicken may have to do something else. In reality - it was spontaneous and great fun!

I'm a soon to be cruise addict - the fun is there if you want to have it. And most of the people you will meet want to have that fun, too. Enjoy!

Fondly,

Heidi

Archived