Rooms for Four in England

Hi! I'm hoping someone here can help me. I am having a really hard time finding quads (two adults, children who will be 5 and 9) in English hotels, inns, B&Bs, etc., especially at places that come well recommended (say, on TripAdvisor) or look really quaint and interesting. They seem to have a minimum age (sometimes 5, but more often 8 or 12) and/or they have rooms that contain only one double or two twin beds.

What do other families do? I won't consider putting the kids in their own room - I think they are way too young. Do parents split up, so there is a parent and child in each room? Does anyone know of a good source for finding hotels that are suitable for families?

My plan was to sort of hop-scotch pre-cruise from Windsor to Stratford-upon-Avon to Bath to somewhere around Salisbury to somewhere around Chichester/Arundel to somewhere around Rye/Pevensey and then finally fetch up in Dover to board our cruise. I had visions of thatched roof inns climbing with roses or similar, and that just doesn't seem to be coming together.

Maybe there is no short-cut and I just have to keep going through the directories on a lodging by lodging basis until I find those with quads. But, gosh, that is tedious! So, any helpful hints or suggestions anyone could make would be really, truly, honestly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

I have visited London with 3 kids - we had to do a self catering apartment because of just your problem. I would never allow the kids to be in a room on their own.

Outside the capital I would think that 2 rooms might be the best plan. Your trip sounds great but you will probably have to search on an individual basis. You might be able to ring them up and ask for an extra extra bed - we have done that in a honeymoon suite because it is a bigger room. If you are willing to pay for it, they may consider.

BTW Legoland near Windsor is supposed to be great for kids. We were all set one day, but it was pouring with rain so we went somewhere else.

Perhaps not your "ideal" hotel but most of the "cheaper" chains such as PremierTravel Inn and Travelodge have rooms that sleep 4, as long as there is a max of 2 adults. As these are at the lower end of the market you could spend the extra on meals on the quaint pubs!

We booked the Comfort Inn Buckingham. They have triples and quad rooms, and they're close to the Victoria train station, the Victoria Coach station, and within walking distance of a lot of the attractions, such as Buckingham Palace.

Perhaps not your "ideal" hotel but most of the "cheaper" chains such as PremierTravel Inn and Travelodge have rooms that sleep 4, as long as there is a max of 2 adults. As these are at the lower end of the market you could spend the extra on meals on the quaint pubs!

I agree that this would probably be the best plan. Having travelled extensively with two small children, I think it would be virtually impossible to find a room for four in a thatched b & b or inn like you describe. You could probably get a self-catering cottage easily enough though. The best I've ever found has been two separate rooms with a door linking them.

Thanks everyone for your helpful (and prompt) responses. I feel like I'm trying to put together a puzzle, and I just can't get the pieces to fit, no matter what I do!:p

I appreciate the thoughts on the chain hotels, and we'll revert to those if we must. Maybe I haven't considered them as much as I should, but one of the things I'm not keen on is that they all seem to be outside of town.

Ollienbertsmom & Goldencup: I've taken your suggestions of looking into the possibility of a self-catering situation. It would limit the places we'll visit, but on the other hand will give us a chance to really explore one part of the country. I came across a hotel in Canterbury with little purpose-built cottages on the grounds and a pool!! Since we embark on Monday, and most of the self-catering places I've looked at seem to be Saturday-Saturday, that would work out really well.

Thanks again. I just knew I'd get some really useful input from you all. :)

Hello...

You can have your rose covered cottages and room for four, but you're looking in the wrong place.

If you'll look at B&B's you'll find that there are 1000's of accommodations throughout England, many with the criteria you seek, at reasonable prices.

One good website is www.farmstays.com.uk.... These are not necessarily working farms...some are new...some are older and charming (my favorite). Many rooms have a large bed and two twins for families or two smaller adjoining rooms sharing a bath.

It takes going to the site, finding the area you're looking for an foraging through the available offerings.

Good luck!

Janed

In London (4/18/07) we stayed at the Luna and Simone near Victoria Station. Family owned and run, and they had at least one family with children there when we were there. Great, clean hotel, and very good price. Look it up on Tripadvisor.

We spent 5 days in the Coventry area last month in the former Courtyard by Marriott, now the Holiday Coventry:

A45 London Rd, Ryton On Dunsmore, Coventry, West Midlands, CV8 3DY, England, GB

The rooms are very large, and there were several families staying there. This also was a very reasonable price. You are quite close (20 minute drive) from Stratford on Avon and even closer to Coventry. Your visions of thatched roofs and climbing roses are spot-on, too!! Go see Stoneleigh Abbey on the way to SonA: gorgeous grounds.

I'm making an album of the area. I'll post the link when it's done.

Here's the link for the pics in the Coventry/Stratford on Avon area:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLandingSignin.jsp?Uc=m1236qp.4as7uwa9&Uy=-q6jmf3&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0

• 1 month later...

pcur: Awesome photos. Thank you for sharing. I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner, I somehow missed your post earlier.

Pcur and stampede: You both concur the Luna and Simone might be for us. Can either of you tell me if it was air conditioned, and if it was, did it work well? Thanks in advance.

pcur: Awesome photos. Thank you for sharing. I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner, I somehow missed your post earlier.

Pcur and stampede: You both concur the Luna and Simone might be for us. Can either of you tell me if it was air conditioned, and if it was, did it work well? Thanks in advance.

No a/c at the Luna & Simone: they have fans in all the rooms. If this is your August cruise for next year, then it might be too hot. I noticed a few reviews on TripAdvisor where people said the room was too warm at night during the summer.

Archived