Religious Services on board?

JackSledge

We will be cruising for fourteen days next month and will be on board the ms Prinsendam on two Sundays. Do cruise ships have chapels that can be attended on Sundays? or can a group of people meet together in a chapel and have their own religious service at a convenient time?

Thanks to anyone that can help me out on this.

It depends on the cruise line. Some will have a Catholic priest on board for every cruise, some will have a rabbi on board during the High Holy Days, and some don't provide anything. There's nothing like a church chapel on board a ship, unless you're on a ship that has on board weddings. Once you get on board the ship, you can go down to the purser's office and ask about services. If they don't provide anything, you can request a meeting room be set aside for a non-denominational service conducted by you. They may, or may not, print something in the daily program about a passenger conducted religious service.

In my experience, Holland America almost always has a chaplain aboard -- often (usually?) a Catholic (or Episcopalian) Priest. We had services in the theater most mornings...it's actually one of the reasons I like HAL so much! :)

RC will normally have a retired priest on board (but not always).......there will normally be two services that run about half an hour......one is a non denominational service.

Actually there are a few ships that have dedicated rooms for religious services. For example the German-operated Maxim Gorki has a chapel, the Queen Elizabeth 2 has a synagogue. On most ships however services, if offered at all, take place in a lounge or a theatre.

For Holland America their homepage says:

"In order to serve the spiritual needs of our guests, we provide the following services. Your Daily Program will list times and locations.

- Catholic. Mass is held daily.

- Interdenominational. An interdenominational service is conducted each Sunday and on appropriate religious holidays.

- Jewish. A Sabbath Eve is held each week. Anyone wishing to volunteer to lead this service should contact the Cruise Director. A Rabbi is on board for High Holiday services."

I know that when I was busy one morning, my husband told me he went to a Polka Mass. Which is quite amusing because he is not Catholic (I am) and we don't have any Polish roots or customs. He said it was great.

Archived