Just back!!!!!!

kathy-ann

I keep reading that people are pre booking excursions.... not too computer literate and can't seem to locate on this site the locations of available day excursions when we dock... would love to know about the ones you recommend. I did read that excursions are rated somewhere as to level of difficulty or ability.... where do I locate that section??? Who do I book excursions through? Royal Caribbean or private operators of these tours? Not sure where to begin now that our cruise is booked.

You can pre-book your shore excursions through the Royal Caribbean website or you can pre-book with a private tour operator at the place you are going.

Some of the shore excursions that the ship offers are very popular and fill up fast. You can beat the rush by signing up for them before the cruise.

• For Royal Caribbean, go to their web site http://www.royalcaribbean.com
  • You should be able to see your cruise reservation
  • Choose the menu selection "Before You Board"
  • then choose menu selection "Shore and Land Excursions"
  • you can now see the shore excursions available for your cruise.

The nice thing about doing this in advance is that you can take your time and do some research and talking to your family to figure out what they want to do.

If you are more adventurous and/or more experienced going on cruises and doing shore excursions, you can line up private shore excursions. Cruise Critic is a good place to find out about private tours. You can also do a google search for things you see on the ship web site and you might be able to find the same thing locally for less money.

There are some things to be careful about when lining up your own excursion.

• If you don't get back in time the ship will leave you - I don't use local operators for a shore excursion that involves a long drive to somewhere
  • I don't sign up for any local tours that want money in advance because they may not show up
  • I try to use local operators that other people on cruise critic have recommended

A third option is to just wait until you get to port. There are usually a lot of local operators offering tours usually a lot less $ than the ship. Most places require operators to be licensed - ask to see it. You can also do some research and just hire a taxi to take you around.

I am on the same cruise leaving June 10. Can you post what the dinner themes were each night? and when the formal nights are? Thanks.

I recall a French evening and one night there was a special pasta but apart from that I can't say I noticed a theme.

The formal nights were Tuesday and Saturday but the last night was really good too - I won't spoil it by telling you more!

OK, we are on the same trip the 11th from Vancouver. What can you tell us about the ship.

Entertainment? what to or not miss?

Food? did you do anytime or traditional, sabatinis or steak house? balcony dining? Thanks, :)

What can I tell you about the ship - you mean apart from the fact that it's massive (this was our first cruise) and I could never remember the way to the dining room once we got to the atrium! We were still discovering things the day before we disembarked. However, you are given a small plan of the ship which was small enough to keep in my purse

We were traditional dining at 8pm. We knew we could change if we didn't like it but we met up with some really nice people and our waiters (Stefan and Bogdan) were brilliant and so attentive. Although I would have liked to try Sabatinis, we never got round to it or the steak house; we were happy enough in the dining room. Neither did we eat on the balcony (again, I thought we would but we never bothered!).

One thing I hadn't realised at first was you can order tea/coffee in your cabin and there's no charge!

The Princess Patter, which is left outside your room every night, tells you what is going on every day, and there's a lot going on!

We went to the Princess Theatre a few times and saw a couple of really good comedians. One of them was a brilliant guitar player too.

I had a wonderful session in the spa and my husband joined in with the wine tasting. I also went to a cookery demonstration which was followed by a tour of the galley. There's plenty of sports you can join in (table tennis, golf, tennis, basketball), trivia quizzes (our team won twice!) and lectures. As I said, there's lots to do but we were mostly happy just looking at the scenery!

Kathy-Thank you for all of the information. We leave on June 25th northbound on the Island and can not wait. Were there specific things on the ship that you thought were outstanding and not to be missed, and things that should be avoided? Also, how do you get the the forward decks that you were speaking of? Thanks so much!

The whole cruise was so exciting for us and it all depends on what you want. With hindsight I don't think we took enough advantage of what was on offer but we were happy with what we did. One thing I wish we hadn't bothered with (but you may be interested) was the Discover Port & Shopping Show which, in my opinion, was pointing out which shops to use in the various ports (commission for Kristy comes to mind) and to try to get you to buy a coupon book.

You need to read the Princess Patter (which I didn't really do until about two days in) which tells you everything that's happening.

To get to the forward decks, on Baja and Caribe, go along the corridor towards the front of the ship and go through the door which is signed something like "fire exit" and go through the next door which warns about high winds, and you're there, with the bridge just above.

I keep reading that people are pre booking excursions.... not too computer literate and can't seem to locate on this site the locations of available day excursions when we dock... would love to know about the ones you recommend. I did read that excursions are rated somewhere as to level of difficulty or ability.... where do I locate that section??? Who do I book excursions through? Royal Caribbean or private operators of these tours? Not sure where to begin now that our cruise is booked.

There's loads of information on these boards about excursions. We booked all of ours (apart from the photography safari) independently. The best thing is to look through the Princess "Adventures Ashore" which, if you haven't got already, you will be getting. Find something you like the look of (this is where you can see the level of difficulty, etc) and then, if you can't find anything on here, just Google Juneau or Ketchikan, etc and you'll find loads of information on independent operators. Once you've found something, do a search on these boards for someone who's been on that excursion.

We were very daunted when we saw what a choice there was and didn't really know where to start, but I read what people had written on this board and it was so helpful.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info... We are Princess veterans but never to Alaska so I apreciate in the info. I'll try and post when we get back.

Hey it is raining in Florida, what a concept..seriously we are in dire need of rain, it is very very welcome.

All the best

Thank you for sharing the beautiful photos. We leave in just 3 months and one week . . . but who's counting!!! I can't wait to see the sights of Alaska.

I am already planning my scrapbook pages!!!

anne

I am going on the Radiance of the Seas on July 27. I am so excited already and reading these posts just makes it worse. We are flying on Island Wings in Ketchikan. And I am so glad everyone has such wonderful things to say about it.

Just want to say thanks to all those who responded to my original post and for the kind comments on the photos. I'd also like to thank everyone on this board once again, as without all the help and tips I believe we really would have struggled to make sense of excursions etc and probably wouldn't have enjoyed the holiday as much as we did.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that we really enjoyed our breakfasts in the dining room. We always shared with others and it was so interesting to meet people from other countries and to discuss everything from the film "The Queen" (which, being Brits, we were always asked about) to what we normally ate for breakfast (apparently baked beans with breakfast is unusual for Americans!). The downside was that it was difficult to tear ourselves away to get on with whatever we had planned, but there was always the next day!

Kathy-Ann: Hello from the middle of the Baltic! (We're on the Constellation, somewhere between Oslo and Copenhagen)

Thanks for the scoop on the forward decks. I'll be using that info soon!!!

--Marne

• 4 weeks later...
Just got back from our brilliant northbound cruise on the Island Princess calling at Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway and disembarking from Whittier. We then went on to have a fabulous time in Kenai, Mt McKinley, Denali and Fairbanks.

In Ketchikan we went flightseeing to Misty Fjords with Michelle (saw a bear a few hundred yards away after we landed), in Juneau my husband did the photo safari and in Skagway we did the White Pass Sumit - up by bus and down by train - and a 2 mile hike of the Chilkoot Trail folowed by a float trip down the river.

These were all good choices and if anyone wants any more info I'd be happy to help.

The weather was unbelieveable and totally unexpected - we were so lucky and blessed. We did have some light rain after our float plane landed in Ketchikan but it didn't last and it rained in the morning at Juneau but the afternoon was warm and sunny.

The only other rain we saw was at Mt McKinley but I understand that's fairly normal (we actually saw the mountain from Denali - amazing!).

The blue skies and sunshine in Glacier Bay and College Fjord made it perfect. We've only looked at a few of the approx 1500 photos we took but I've attached one taken at College Fjord which I'm particularly pleased with.

I'd like to thank whoever it was who told us about getting to the front of the ship via Baja and Caribe decks - we spent a lot of time out there!

As I said if anyone wants to ask me anything I'll try to help. This board was invaluable and I learned so much before we went which was a great help - thanks to everyone.

P1010531.jpg

Kathy-Ann we are leaving Aug 15. I am thinking about thr Photo Safari. Can you tell me how it was. Is it basic or advanced? Did you learn alot or just take pictures. I am aleady booked for Capt. Daveys Wildlife cruise in Sitka. If it is no different I want to take something different. However if we learn alot I want to take this too.

Thanks...

Just got back from our brilliant northbound cruise on the Island Princess calling at Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway and disembarking from Whittier. We then went on to have a fabulous time in Kenai, Mt McKinley, Denali and Fairbanks.

In Ketchikan we went flightseeing to Misty Fjords with Michelle (saw a bear a few hundred yards away after we landed), in Juneau my husband did the photo safari and in Skagway we did the White Pass Sumit - up by bus and down by train - and a 2 mile hike of the Chilkoot Trail folowed by a float trip down the river.

These were all good choices and if anyone wants any more info I'd be happy to help.

The weather was unbelieveable and totally unexpected - we were so lucky and blessed. We did have some light rain after our float plane landed in Ketchikan but it didn't last and it rained in the morning at Juneau but the afternoon was warm and sunny.

The only other rain we saw was at Mt McKinley but I understand that's fairly normal (we actually saw the mountain from Denali - amazing!).

The blue skies and sunshine in Glacier Bay and College Fjord made it perfect. We've only looked at a few of the approx 1500 photos we took but I've attached one taken at College Fjord which I'm particularly pleased with.

I'd like to thank whoever it was who told us about getting to the front of the ship via Baja and Caribe decks - we spent a lot of time out there!

As I said if anyone wants to ask me anything I'll try to help. This board was invaluable and I learned so much before we went which was a great help - thanks to everyone.

P1010531.jpg

Thanks for the description and superb photos.

Just wondering about the Skagway White Pass excursion. Do you have to book in advance or can you just go up to the rail station and pay up?

I also understand that there is a short and a long tour. Which would you recommend?

What magnificent photos. I can only imagine what the others look like.

As far as the Sea Plane tour in Ketchikan, did you book it through Princess which would be the Misty Fiords Seaplane Exploration ? and how long and at what time did you go on the tour ?

Soontoretire

Thanks for the review of the photo safari, Kathy-ann's husband. (Stephen or Steve?) I assume it was this one: http://www.stepintoalaska.com/independentdetails.cfm?tourname=Photo%20Safari%20by%20Land%20and%20Sea I'd heard good things about Gastineau Guiding and even as a local, had considered going on the tour, since I have so much trouble with too bright highlights off the snow or clouds, and flat light on overcast days. My solution so far has been to run around like a mad woman on sunny days and take tons of photos!

From looking at the tour description, it sounds as though they may change a few things, but stick to the tour you had, which as you pointed out, can be done as straight tours, cheaper.

This part, "A free digital camera is included for each child 12 and under!" suggests to me they don't mean this as an opportunity for serious photographers. Not say children can't be serious photographers, but you know what I mean. :D

I'd think there would be enough serious photographers visiting who'd enjoy being taken to some more off the beaten track places. There used to be a local photographer, Pat Costello, who had a site, juneauphotos.com, where he put up a new picture every day. I discovered all kinds of places from tracking down his shot locations.

What magnificent photos. I can only imagine what the others look like.

As far as the Sea Plane tour in Ketchikan, did you book it through Princess which would be the Misty Fiords Seaplane Exploration ? and how long and at what time did you go on the tour ?

Soontoretire

We booked independently with Island Wings. The owner and pilot is a legend on these boards. We took the first tour of the day and were met around 8am and taken to the floatplane. The whole trip lasted maybe a couple of hours which included 20mins or so onshore after landing on one of the Fiords. It certainly was a highlight especially as we spotted a black bear not far from where we stood.

Thanks for the review of the photo safari, Kathy-ann's husband. (Stephen or Steve?) I assume it was this one: http://www.stepintoalaska.com/independentdetails.cfm?tourname=Photo%20Safari%20by%20Land%20and%20Sea I'd heard good things about Gastineau Guiding and even as a local, had considered going on the tour, since I have so much trouble with too bright highlights off the snow or clouds, and flat light on overcast days. My solution so far has been to run around like a mad woman on sunny days and take tons of photos!

From looking at the tour description, it sounds as though they may change a few things, but stick to the tour you had, which as you pointed out, can be done as straight tours, cheaper.

This part, "A free digital camera is included for each child 12 and under!" suggests to me they don't mean this as an opportunity for serious photographers. Not say children can't be serious photographers, but you know what I mean. :D

I'd think there would be enough serious photographers visiting who'd enjoy being taken to some more off the beaten track places. There used to be a local photographer, Pat Costello, who had a site, juneauphotos.com, where he put up a new picture every day. I discovered all kinds of places from tracking down his shot locations.

Yep, Stephen here, (KA's DH) This was the company running the tour, though we booked through Princess as at the time I hadn't found their site.

For me the level of photo instruction was basic, though it obviously helped some others. I have to say though that for me it was not the Photo tips I went for rather the opportunity to be in a position to get good photos. and be focused on that object. The weather was not great for us on the land section, where we visited the Mendenhall, but you simply have to change your style to something more appropriate to the conditions. The Sea part of the trip was good, though you really needed a long lens, and I am lucky in that respect. I have heard many stories though about people getting much closer to whales etc. To a large extent its down to luck and you can't blame the tourguide on the day. They adapt to the conditions and choose the best locations for the day. I came away with plenty of photos which I may not have got otherwise.

Thanks for the description and superb photos.

Just wondering about the Skagway White Pass excursion. Do you have to book in advance or can you just go up to the rail station and pay up?

I also understand that there is a short and a long tour. Which would you recommend?

We booked in advance, Chilkoot Charters iirc. We took their bus up the pass into the Yukon and the White Pass summit rail terminal. We then took the train back down. We were the only ones on the bus and there were only a handful on the train returning. Remember though we were there in the 3rd week of May and the season hadn't got in full swing. However it meant we got great personal attention. Also there was more snow and the blue skies just finished it off.

Not sure about the longer tour, but for us, it was just right and gave us time to explore Skagway and do another excursion in the afternoon.

IMG_7846.jpg

Thanks for the info on the photo safari tour. I had asked on here about this last week and had not gotten much response. We booked this thru HAL for our late July back to back cruises. We are doing whalewatching with Cap Larry on our first day there and taking the photo safari on our way back thru the following week. We did the Misty Fjords tour with Michelle in her Cessna before she went bigger. Great tour.

I hope there is not a lot of instruction. I have been shooting for 45yrs and while never a professional, just hope to get a tour that will take us to some local photo spots which have great shots. You know, like the photo signs at Disney World!!! I really hope we do get some of that, or I may wish I had gone whalewatching again.

I'm using Nikon D-50 with 18-200VR and a Tokina 400 with a monopod if I can get sharp shots with it.

Thanks again, and I hope this tour will work out. Let us know if you make any more photos available to look at.

We are doing whalewatching with Cap Larry on our first day there and taking the photo safari on our way back thru the following week.

I must admit, when I see $175 for a tour, I think, just rent a car and find out where to find the shots you want. You'll get some great photo chances for wildlife with Capt. Larry on his trip, and if you want rain forest shots, glacier shots, mountain shots, they're all easily reached with a car for a lot less than $175. JMO.

We booked in advance, Chilkoot Charters iirc. We took their bus up the pass into the Yukon and the White Pass summit rail terminal. We then took the train back down. We were the only ones on the bus and there were only a handful on the train returning. Remember though we were there in the 3rd week of May and the season hadn't got in full swing. However it meant we got great personal attention. Also there was more snow and the blue skies just finished it off.

Not sure about the longer tour, but for us, it was just right and gave us time to explore Skagway and do another excursion in the afternoon.

IMG_7846.jpg

You mentioned a 2 mile Chilkoot Trail hike in your original post. Who did you use for that??

You mentioned a 2 mile Chilkoot Trail hike in your original post. Who did you use for that??

Apologies for not getting back earlier, however we booked with Southeast tours based in Skagway. It was their Chilkoot Hike & Float.

Archived