Bermuda

jpg1747

And what specific about your NCL cruise to Alaska did you hate? :confused:

If anyone's planning a cruise to Bermuda this summer, for an extended stay in St. George or Hamilton, you have just a few choices.

(1) NCL Majesty (from Boston)

(2) NCL Crown (from New York)

(2) RCCL Empress of the Seas (from Norfolk)

(3) Azamara Journey (from Bayonne)

The newest ship in this lot is the Azamara Journey, with plenty of balcony cabins, and which only has 700 or so passengers aboard. But it's a brand new cruise line, with growing pains. Just look at the various threads at the new forum at Cruise Critic. It's by far the best ship, with the best perks, but not necessarily the best choice, yet.

There isn't that much difference between the other three ships, except for brand loyality and the individual differences between cruise lines. My suggestion is save yourself some cash, you'll need it in Bermuda, and sail from the closest port from your home.

You would not ever see me aboard a RCI ship again. I like Freestyle Cruising better than Traditional. But I realise not everyone does.

Agree with your synopsis above. Bermuda is our favorite port of call and we would like to spend as much time there as possible, especially in the fall. A back to back is one way to do it but being on the same ship for two weeks means the same menus and the same entertainment all over again. We decided to take what we consider a "dream back to back to Bermuda." We will be taking the new Azamara Journey on Sept. 22nd which returns to Bayonne on Sat. Sept. 29th. We will go home for one night and return on Sunday to Manhattan and take the Norwegian Crown. We also prefer freestyle dining and are happy the Journey will offer open seating dining. It may seem unusual to some but it's far more practical for us than the cost of a flight and two weeks of Bermuda hotel and restaurant rates. The short break in between also gives us time to do some laundry, check our mail and other items back home. Look forward to comparing the two ships.

Herb, what a GREAT idea! I might just have to look into that for next summer!!:p

Unfortunately, neither the Crown (sold) or the Journey (Europe) will be sailing to Bermuda next year.

The two NCL ships sailing to Bermuda next Fall (2008) in October are:

(1) Norwegian Dawn from Manhattan to King's Warf.

Oct 5, 12, 18, and 26.

(2) Norwegian Dream from Boston to St. George.

Oct 5, 12, 18, and 26.

Either one will be a great choice. The Dawn many will consider the better ship, likewise many will consider St. George the better port.

Why did you prefer the Sun over the Dawn? If the Dawn was too large, I'm happy to report that the Dream is smaller than the Sun.

I hope you have a great cruise to Bermuda next October.

While I agree the Dawn is a wonderful ship (4 cruises on her), I don't find her Bermuda itinerary very inviting. She can only dock at King's Wharf far from most of the Bermuda attractions and the Dawn's 7 day cruise has an extra sea day going down which means one less day in Bermuda. The Atlantic between New York and Bermuda is not known for its calmness so I wouldn't want to spend an extra sea day there.

Archived