Bermuda

jpg1747

I'm thinking about an NCL cruise to Bermuda. Has anyone done the cruise out of Philadelphia? How was it? Would you do it again? Or would you rather do a air/land vacation to Bermuda instead? Thanks.

We sailed the NCL Crown to Bermuda last year. We also sailed the NCL Sea to Bermuda. We have been on other cruises on other lines. The reason to sail the Crown to Bermuda is the value you get. We love Bermuda. Yes, I would love to be able to stay at the Elbow Beach Hotel for a week. But I didn't win lotto. So, I take the Crown, and take a taxi to Elbow Beach and have just as wonderful a time, and am able to save at least three thousand dollars that I don't have.

As Got2Cruise commented, going by air and staying is quite expensive. The great thing about a cruise is, it's like having a hotel at the pier with all your food included. It's very expensive in Bermuda and if you added it all up you'll get a great value out of a cruise. That being said, Bermuda is gorgeous and worth it to stay there for an entire week if money is no issue.

A cruise is the best way to go. There are only a couple of properties that offer an all inclusive plan and everything is very expensive. Some beautiful properties, but it's going to be more a lot more money to fly in and stay.

Take care,

Michael

I have cruised twice on the Majesty's Boston to Bermuda run. Yes, I'd visit Bermuda by cruise ship again in a heartbeat. The value is unmistakable. Compare the price of a cruise, with an ala carte land/air vacation.

When I cruise, I can drive to the pier, board the ship, and soon be in beautiful Bermuda. NO FLYING.

I'm thinking about an NCL cruise to Bermuda. Has anyone done the cruise out of Philadelphia? How was it? Would you do it again? Or would you rather do a air/land vacation to Bermuda instead? Thanks.

We did a air/land vacation to Bermuda pre 9/11.

Great vacation.

Since we started cruising (NCL) in September 2004, I will not travel any other way.

Good luck with your decision:)

My first cruise was a honeymoon cruise to Bermuda aboard Celebrity's Zenith. I would go back to Bermuda in a heartbeat and cruising is definitely the way to go. Air/land to Bermuda can be pricey.

I recently talked a friend into going to Bermuda on her honeymoon and she loved it. She did do an air/land though and when we was telling me how much, I knew that cruising there is definitely the way to go. She was torn as to whether to go to Bermuda or the Bahamas. I've cruised to both and told her Bermuda was better...hands down!

We took the crown to bermuda from Philly leaving on May 20, 07 and returned on May 27, 07. We had a marvelous time. The ship was gorgeous, the food terrific, the service wonderful, and the room much larger than I expected ( AC stateroom). Bermuda is beautiful. You will not believe the color of the ocean. . People there friendly. No complaints at all. Go and have a great time.

I took the Bermuda cruise on Royal Caribbean. DO NOT go NCL. Just got back from Alaska on the NCL Star and hated NCL. They are horrible. GO on a cruise to Bermuda, but take a different line.

And what specific about your NCL cruise to Alaska did you hate? :confused:

If anyone's planning a cruise to Bermuda this summer, for an extended stay in St. George or Hamilton, you have just a few choices.

(1) NCL Majesty (from Boston)

(2) NCL Crown (from New York)

(2) RCCL Empress of the Seas (from Norfolk)

(3) Azamara Journey (from Bayonne)

The newest ship in this lot is the Azamara Journey, with plenty of balcony cabins, and which only has 700 or so passengers aboard. But it's a brand new cruise line, with growing pains. Just look at the various threads at the new forum at Cruise Critic. It's by far the best ship, with the best perks, but not necessarily the best choice, yet.

There isn't that much difference between the other three ships, except for brand loyality and the individual differences between cruise lines. My suggestion is save yourself some cash, you'll need it in Bermuda, and sail from the closest port from your home.

You would not ever see me aboard a RCI ship again. I like Freestyle Cruising better than Traditional. But I realise not everyone does.

We have enjoyed all 9 of our Boston to Bermuda cruises. Yes she is a much older ship but is well cared for and the crew is the best around. Can't wait to go again on Sept 30 for the last 7 day Boston to Bermuda cruise on the Majesty. Very sad to see her leave Boston.

Just wonder what you think is so "horrible" about NCL.

We Have Been To Bermuda 6 Times Four On Ncl And Once On Rccl.. Cruising Is The Only Way To Go..... Just Back Last Sunday And All Four Of The Ships Were In Plus The Ncl- Dawn And Rccl Explorer, At Differnt Times,busy Week At The Docks With 7 Ships In/out During The Week.:)

I took the Bermuda cruise on Royal Caribbean. DO NOT go NCL. Just got back from Alaska on the NCL Star and hated NCL. They are horrible. GO on a cruise to Bermuda, but take a different line.

Yawn. We've cruised twice to Bermuda from Boston on NCL's Majesty, and enjoyed both vacations very much. We've now done five NCL cruises and each one has been better than the last. Looking forward to cruising Dream to Bermuda from Boston next year.

One wonders why Kimmer bothers to come here if he or she is so negative. NCL is not "horrible," it's the only mass-market cruise line that treats you like an adult capable of deciding when, where, and with whom you'd like to eat, as well as what attire is appropriate.

Actually Empress of the Seas moves from Norfolk to Phila in mid July. So it is an option for those in the NE. I really wanted to sail her but had to sail in June and it wasn't an option.

The Journey was close to $500.00 more a person for the same week as NCL, I rather have that as spending money. :D

I like the fact that people are able to come here and give their opinion of their cruise-good and bad. Everybody who is looking into sailing should see all the pros and cons. I don't think just saying "horrible" gives enough info and I myself give discredit unless there are specifics and explain both sides of the cruise and what your compairing it to. For example my first cruise was on the Inspiration-at the time I had the best time, but now that I sailed other ships-I realize there is better.

We are looking at the NCL Dream out of Boston to Bermuda in May or June of 2008. It is a 7 night cruise (Sunday to Sunday) that docks only in St George's.

I have tried to access the ferry schedule website but it hangs up and doesn't load.

Can someone tell me if the ferry runs a good schedule from St George's to Hamilton?

this is the only info I could find

There are three year-round ferry routes:

Pink Route, Hamilton-Paget-Warwick ($2.50 each way);

Green Route, Hamilton-Rockaway ($4 each way);

Blue Route, Hamilton-West End (Somerset)-Dockyard ($4 each way). A seasonal service operates from mid-April to mid-November from Dockyard to St. George's (Orange Route, $4 each way).

• Orange Route (Commuter Route) – Effective Nov 14, 2006
  • Leave Hamilton 5.20pm arrive St. George’s 6.05pm, Ordinance Island 6.10pm
  • Leave St. David’s 7.15pm, arrive St. George’s 7.25am, Leave St. Georges 7.30am, arrive Hamilton 8.20am

Note: PTB will provide a morning feeder bus leaving St. David’s (Dennis’ Hideaway) at 6.55am arriving at Ships Wharf at 7.05am

PTB will provide an afternoon feeder bus leaving Ships Wharf to Dennis’ Hideaway at 6.25pm after ferry arrives from Hamilton and Market Wharf.

In addition, there are four high-speed catamarans which service the longer routes to Dockyard and Rockaway, as well as St. George's in summer. Travelling up to a speed of 32 knots, each boat is modern and comfortable, with a capacity of 200 or more passengers. The catamarans carry cycles at a cost of $4. Please ensure you have purchased your tickets, tokens or passes in advance to travel on all routes since cash is not accepted. The most popular method of payment for visitors is the Transportation Pass, good for unlimited rides on the bus and ferry system. Passes are available for one-day ($12), three-day ($28), four-day ($35) or seven-day ($45) pass. Reduced prices are available for children ages 5-16 ($2); children under 5 ride free.

That's all I could find too. We took the ferry from Hamilton to the Dockyard and we heard a crew member say they were going on to St George's.

I'm hoping someone has had some experience in St George's with regards to the ferry. I know there are busses but I would reallly prefer the ferry.

Just a heads up. We were also looking at Bermuda for May. My TA just emailed me and said that she was there last May and it rained the whole time and the water was pretty cold. We went in September and it was perfect. :)

I too am considering a Bermuda cruise, probably in fall 2008. A question for the experienced Bermuda cruisers out there: are there fewer ships there in the fall than in the summer? Would seem to me that their season is sort of like the Alaska cruise season, with fewer ships going in the spring and fall.

Actually, I would love to go in October. How are temperatures then?

Also, since I am on the east coast, I could go from any of the ports available. So which would be the best ship to take? [i have been on the Dawn and the Sun--preferred the Sun.]

Thanks in advance for info!!

I too am considering a Bermuda cruise, probably in fall 2008. A question for the experienced Bermuda cruisers out there: are there fewer ships there in the fall than in the summer? Would seem to me that their season is sort of like the Alaska cruise season, with fewer ships going in the spring and fall.

Also, since I am on the east coast, I could go from any of the ports available. So which would be the best ship to take? [i have been on the Dawn and the Sun--preferred the Sun.]

The two NCL ships sailing to Bermuda next Fall (2008) in October are:

(1) Norwegian Dawn from Manhattan to King's Warf.

Oct 5, 12, 18, and 26.

(2) Norwegian Dream from Boston to St. George.

Oct 5, 12, 18, and 26.

Either one will be a great choice. The Dawn many will consider the better ship, likewise many will consider St. George the better port.

Why did you prefer the Sun over the Dawn? If the Dawn was too large, I'm happy to report that the Dream is smaller than the Sun.

I hope you have a great cruise to Bermuda next October.

Yes, there are fewer ships there in the fall; but one thing you have to bear in mind is only the smaller ships (for the most part) stay more than one day. We've been there with four or five other ships, and never felt crowded at all.

October is beautiful in Bermuda -- the only thing you have to worry about that time of year is HURRICANES! We've done the Boston to Bermuda run on the Majesty twice in October. We hit very rough seas going down the first time, and very rough seas coming home the second. But no hurricanes -- that was in September 06 -- Ernesto!! The water temperature in October is heavenly!

If the Dawn is staying in BDA for 3 1/2 days and is closer to you, then by all means go on the Dawn -- she's a beauty. But if you're looking for a smaller ship, and docking in St. George's rather than the dockyard (and I believe one day tendering) then I'd do the Dream out of Boston. Haven't sailed on the Dream yet (and we'll really miss the Majesty:( ) but we'll probably book her for next summer.

Thank you for the information. It looks like the Dream is actually there a bit longer than the Dawn, and fares a bit less.

What are the advantages/disadvantages in your opinions of Kings Wharf and St. George?

electricron, I enjoyed a lot of features on the Dawn [it was an 11 night out of NYC], but I do prefer smaller ships and we seemed to get better service on the Sun. I know those things vary year to year and even cruise to cruise, though.

Just to comment on the weather in May:

I know you take your chances anytime you are in the Atlantic. Anytime you make vacation plans way in the future, you take a risk. I have never been lucky enough to be able to plan on the spur of the moment and know the weather forecast.

We were on the 3rd Azamara Journey cruise (5/19) and the weather was perfect: not one drop of rain, sun every day in Bermuda. One day was almost too hot. This was our 3rd cruise in May and we have had perfect weather each time.

Friends of ours have cruised to Bermuda in June, July and August and have had rain every time! Go figure.

Archived