Booze Cruise!

Drew B

I just returned from the 3-day Paradise sailing to Ensenada, and I finally understand the reputation Carnival has for being overrun by rowdy drunks. I've sailed Carnival twice before (once on a 7-day cruise and once on this exact same 3-day itinerary), and never experienced this. This time, there were some of the most embarassingly drunk people I've ever seen.

There was a girl at a blackjack table whose eyes were shutting. Ten minutes later, I heard from another woman that she had passed out in the bathroom and medical help had to be summoned. My sister left the dining room to go wash her hands, and she came across a woman vomiting into the sink. Needless to say, when she returned to the table, her appetite for her cream of mushroom soup was severely decreased!

While these were the two worst incidents, there were a lot of loud, inconsiderate, drunk passengers. Do you guys think this because it was a holiday weekend?

Otherwise it was a fantastic cruise, and 'Karl with a K' is the least annoying cruise director I've ever seen!

I just returned from the 3-day Paradise sailing to Ensenada, and I finally understand the reputation Carnival has for being overrun by rowdy drunks. I've sailed Carnival twice before (once on a 7-day cruise and once on this exact same 3-day itinerary), and never experienced this. This time, there were some of the most embarassingly drunk people I've ever seen.

There was a girl at a blackjack table whose eyes were shutting. Ten minutes later, I heard from another woman that she had passed out in the bathroom and medical help had to be summoned. My sister left the dining room to go wash her hands, and she came across a woman vomiting into the sink. Needless to say, when she returned to the table, her appetite for her cream of mushroom soup was severely decreased!

While these were the two worst incidents, there were a lot of loud, inconsiderate, drunk passengers. Do you guys think this because it was a holiday weekend?

Otherwise it was a fantastic cruise, and 'Karl with a K' is the least annoying cruise director I've ever seen!

I had the same experience on the Paradise the week before college was to start back up. But we had a blast:D

Yes, the shorter cruises have that reputation. In fact, we met one of the bartenders in our pre-cruise hotel before our Elation cruise (that's when she sailed 7 day cruises out of San Pedro). He was just back from his 3 month break and was disappointed he was assigned to the Elation because he said the bartenders made much more $$$ on the Ecstasy (the ship that cruised 3 and 4 day cruises at that time).

ahhhh- so thats where Karl with a K has been lately.

Whew- we had him on the miracle and the liberty and havent heard from him since.

whats sad about these 3 day cruises== first timers get the impression that all carnival cruises are like that-- they then book a 7 day cruise on Royal and will not sail with carnival again since the two cruises are like night and day.

But I've done THIS VERY SAME THREE-DAY CRUISE before and never had a problem. I've been defending Carnival for years, saying that while people may like to drink and have fun, it's not out of hand and it's not obnoxious. This trip, it was. I don't know what was different aside from the fact that it was a holiday weekend. Do you think that made the difference?

I have done the same cruise on Royal Caribbean and Carnival, and trust me they are no different. Just as many loud drunks (myself included) on both ships. Its a 3 day party cruise. A way for me to have fun without leaving L.A. and I am able to drink without worrying about who is going to drive. Carnival was actually a little more tame than my RCI 3 day cruise.

Hmmm. Maybe the previous time I took it was the exception (no crazy drunkenness) and this one was typical...

I'm all for drinking and having a good time. I'm just not sure who has a good time while vomiting and passing out...

We also just got off the Paradise celebrating my friend's birthday and it was a wild (but fun) ride!! At least 3 bachelor and 2 bachelorette parties that we saw and a whole lot of first time young cruisers. I thought I was still young enough (40 something) to handle that but it was a little much even for me...Luckily we have been on many other Carnival ships and haven't had the same experience. I don't think I will do the 3 day again especially not at this time of year...but it was an experience!!

Three years ago when we were trying to decide between cruising at the end of May or over Thanksgiving, we were told that May is a time for many college cruisers and graduates. (Being 40+ w/ 2 tweens, that would no longer be us.) Sounds like you found 'em:rolleyes: and proved said theory true.

I just got back last Monday from the 4 day Paradise with my children, and it definitely wasn't a booze cruise. I figured the cruise going out after us with the 3 day holiday weekend might be bad though. I'll have to remember to always do the 4 day out of Long Beach, and never go on a holiday I guess.

I've also been on 2 seven day cruises, and would never have described them as party cruises. I hate that Carnival gets this reputation.

laura

I rarely drink, but wondering what the "fun" part is about getting drunk..have been drunk maybe 1-2x in my life and never did understand why some people enjoy getting bombed on a regular basis...and why it's more fun on a cruise.

Makes no sense to me.

I rarely drink, but wondering what the "fun" part is about getting drunk..have been drunk maybe 1-2x in my life and never did understand why some people enjoy getting bombed on a regular basis...and why it's more fun on a cruise.

Makes no sense to me.

Makes no sense to me.

I agree. Getting buzzed or tipsy is fun, but getting drunk to the point where you get sick or can't even remember anything -- where's the fun in that?

ahhhh- so thats where Karl with a K has been lately.

Whew- we had him on the miracle and the liberty and havent heard from him since.

whats sad about these 3 day cruises== first timers get the impression that all carnival cruises are like that-- they then book a 7 day cruise on Royal and will not sail with carnival again since the two cruises are like night and day.

Just curious, I've sailed twice before (with Royal) and I am very excited to be cruising again (on Carnival) however after reading your quote that they are like night and day what am I to expect?????

Cruising with my DH, & DD's 9 & 7 this time. I do like to party although I can't see much of that happening now with the kids ( but that's OK). Last time I crusied with my DH (honeymoon)and then my DH & a lfriend. I thought the crowd was a bit old.

I guess what I really want to know is what's the differences?

Although the cruises we've been on have offered a "booze cruise" as a shore excursion, we've never really noticed the rowdy drunks. and the only real bad bout of public vomiting was when the seas were a little rough.

Just curious, I've sailed twice before (with Royal) and I am very excited to be cruising again (on Carnival) however after reading your quote that they are like night and day what am I to expect??????

when someone takes his first cruise on a 3 day cruise then takes a 7 day cruise=-- thats what i meant that they are different as night and day.

3 day cruises are hurry up and relax--the 7 day cruises are stretched out where you dont have to sqeeze everything in.

I found a 7 day royal Voyager of the seas was as comparable to my 7 day carnival cruise with service, entertainment and food.

But I've done THIS VERY SAME THREE-DAY CRUISE before and never had a problem. I've been defending Carnival for years, saying that while people may like to drink and have fun, it's not out of hand and it's not obnoxious. This trip, it was. I don't know what was different aside from the fact that it was a holiday weekend. Do you think that made the difference?

What time of year did you take your last cruise?? Maybe that's the difference?

I have never been on the 3 dayers myself, but have heard that they can be pretty wild and crazy. Factor in the Holiday weekend and if there happens to be a bachelor/bachelorette party on board , there ya go. :)

A lot of those 3 and 4 dayers are used a lot by locals of the port city as just that, weekend getaways and party places. They usually get the cruise for a song, they don't have to drive far to get to the dock so its like a weekend at a resort or a B&B to some people.

Being "drunk" and being "a drunk" are two completely different things. At least where I come from. Haha. :)

I couldn't have said it better myself pretty lady :)

Having a few drinks and getting "buzzed" and a little silly is a whole lot different than getting totally wrecked and turning into a A-hole.

I hate fall down drunks that think they can take on the world when they have a few , and even worse are the weepy drunks *LOL* :)

Being "drunk" and being "a drunk" are two completely different things. At least where I come from. Haha. :)

Very well said, some people do not seem to be able to have the capacity to understand that!!!

Archived