Bow ties and Collars - Definitive answer for the Englishmen on this board.

Kindlychap

I have today spoken to Gieves and Hawkes. My contact is the bespoke shirtmaker for the flagship Saville Row Store.

With the question of collars, her view was that both turndown and wing are correct, and that the individual concerned may have a body shape that makes one more appropriate than the other.

As far as ties, she agrees that self tie looks better and should be the aim. However she does advise the less honourable that they can buy one of each, and then at the appropriate moment, take off the ready made and use the self tie to give that "end of evening casual" look.

I'm happy to take her advice.

Not quite what I've been saying, but I am not going to disagree.

It doesn't alter that I prefer turndown collar with black tie.

Matthew

However she does advise the less honourable that they can buy one of each, and then at the appropriate moment, take off the ready made and use the self tie to give that "end of evening casual" look.

:eek: You mean appear in public with your tie undone? I think I'd rather appear without my jacket:eek:

However she does advise the less honourable that they can buy one of each, and then at the appropriate moment, take off the ready made and use the self tie to give that "end of evening casual" look.

LOL! :) I almost think it would be easier to just tie the self tie than to try carrying it around in your pocket all night without getting it wrinkled

:eek: You mean appear in public with your tie undone? I think I'd rather appear without my jacket:eek:

Malcolm my dear...even James Bond has been known to loosen his tie at the end of the evening. There are some who find this a very appealing look...I shall say no more:D

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

Malcolm my dear...even James Bond has been known to loosen his tie at the end of the evening. There are some who find this a very appealing look...I shall say no more:D

Cheers, Penny

True, but that is after being shot at and a half dozen other near-death situations, not to mention catching all the bad guys, all without shedding a single drop of blood or bead of sweat. How many of us accomplish this on an ocean liner? ;)

Matthew, just wanted you to know that on Sunday Paulie bought a self-tie tie because you have convinced him that is what he should do. he still has the pre-tied one should it all prove too difficult, but he is on record as a convert.

I told him make sure he practices ahead of time. Maybe he should start now. :p

True, but that is after being shot at and a half dozen other near-death situations, not to mention catching all the bad guys, all without shedding a single drop of blood or bead of sweat. How many of us accomplish this on an ocean liner? ;)

Ahhh but we'll just skip over those mayhem parts and go straight to the seductive scenes...you know, the ones where he gets the girl of the hour...again?;)

Cheers, Penny

You mean you don't?:confused: On the QE2 I find it a regular occurrence after dinner:D

I have photographic evidence of Matthew with his bowtie untied! I'm not sure quite how late in the evening it was, but it certainly was the "appropriate hour"

OMG! I'm in shock. Matthew undressed in public:eek:

The ones where he gets the girl of the hour;)

Ahhh - That's where I'm going wrong - I don't want the girl of the hour!

Dear all,

as a relative newcomer to this board and a complete newcomer to Cunard, I have spent a considerable amount of time becoming more and more confused by the precise and finely discriminated details of what exactly one is expected to wear with each of the numerous forms of dress required on a Cunard cruise. Whilst it has been wonderfully entertaining listening to the experts obsessing about the subtle distinctions between formal, semi-formal, informal, casual, etc, etc, I felt it would be helpful, particularly to other newcomers to this exotic world, if I were to codify what I had learned so far. So, after lengthy, in-depth research, I have put together a list of the dress codes based on the information I have retrieved from the various threads on this board. I make no claim that the list is exhaustive so please feel free to let me have any additions or corrections as they occur to you. Anyhow, for what it's worth, my suggestions, ranked in descending order of formality, are attached.

:) ;)

Cruachan,

That is the best summation of what to wear under which circumstances I have yet seen. However, I fear you have missed some nuances by failing to be ship-specific; to wit, I am sure QM2 semi-formal 'chav' allows a wider colour range (as befitting a more informal ship) than the traditional white only rule on QE2!

Gavin

Cruachan,

That is the best summation of what to wear under which circumstances I have yet seen. However, I fear you have missed some nuances by failing to be ship-specific; to wit, I am sure QM2 semi-formal 'chav' allows a wider colour range (as befitting a more informal ship) than the traditional white only rule on QE2!

Gavin

Gavin,

you're right of course and I will make an appropriate amendment in due course. I've just realised that I also missed out "WAG" as a category - could have had some fun with that. Incidentally does your nickname imply that you hail from the Kingdom of that Ilk, or does it simply hint at a certain musical ability? If the former, then we're "count®y cousins" as I originate from the Wee Coonty of Clackmannanshire.

Jimmy

Jimmy,

I am indeed a native of the Kingdom - in fact my first QE2 voyage was to the Millennium Open Golf Championship at St Andrews when we anchored off Anstruther and were unable to tender ashore for long periods owing to tidal miscalculations. Happy Days!

My brother is a resident of the Wee Coonty to this day and I salute you as a near neighbour by birth!

Gavin

Please feel free to let me have any additions or corrections as they occur to you.

Jimmy - two things strike me as odd and make me wonder how I can abide by your dress codes. Firstly, now that the lockbox centre has gone, where can I store the "Imperial State Crown" once I've borrowed it?:confused:

Secondly I much approve of being formal and would gladly attend "Naturist Formal" however I had to remove my nipple rings a few years ago as they started irritating my skin:( Is any other form of body adornment suitable?:confused:

Jimmy - two things strike me as odd and make me wonder how I can abide by your dress codes. Firstly, now that the lockbox centre has gone, where can I store the "Imperial State Crown" once I've borrowed it?:confused:

Secondly I much approve of being formal and would gladly attend "Naturist Formal" however I had to remove my nipple rings a few years ago as they started irritating my skin:( Is any other form of body adornment suitable?:confused:[/quote

Hi Malcolm,

regarding storage of state regalia - I think it would be entirely acceptable to stick them under the bed. They're all old and can't be worth much.

Take your point about the body piercings. Perhaps a discrete (and removable) henna tattoo would do the trick.

Jimmy

Take your point about the body piercings. Perhaps a discrete (and removable) henna tattoo would do the trick.

I wonder where I could get one of those? Do you think that one of those "artists" at the side of the Minster would oblige?:D

I wonder where I could get one of those? Do you think that one of those "artists" at the side of the Minster would oblige?:D

Hi Malcolm,

just spotted from your profile that you are in York, so greetings from York University.

Yes, I think the lads at the Minster should be able to do the job. The result might be a little extensive though as, from what I've seen, they're used to covering about an acre or so of pavement at a time.

Jimmy

Thought the new bond was the first to have completed all this...;) ......I have been told by my "Better half" that i will be will be in, a few near death situations if i dont give more compliments on her dresses :eek:

steve

Is is coincidence that this is the advertising bar that appears on this thread?:)

David

• abg-en-100c-000000.png

I have today spoken to Gieves and Hawkes. My contact is the bespoke shirtmaker for the flagship Saville Row Store.

With the question of collars, her view was that both turndown and wing are correct, and that the individual concerned may have a body shape that makes one more appropriate than the other.

Gieves and Hawkes, you did say her?

David.

Cruachan,

Thank you for explaining all that. First, I finally know what a Chav is.

Second, now that I am full versed, I will book post-haste!

Do you have an appendix for your American friends? Some of us might wear the wrong items,. Brits having "Different" uses of the English language and such.

As for formal naturist, I think Malcolm could do fine in a self-tied bow tie...only. For that. your choice of which appendage upon which to tie it! (Blue only for Scotsmen!)

Oh, You did not mention Military and the suitability of watches. and where one would wear said watch in the Naturist Formal mode.

Karie,

who was thinking naturist the only way to go to avoid the black/ white argument, and the one strip/ 2 stripe argument on trousers. And I'm a WOMAN!

Archived