Ok, I'm curious....

cruzegirl

Can anyone, Princess included, tell me why they are insisting on having 5 Princess ships in Alaska during the summer????? I mean really, 5 ships????? They have the Dawn, the Diamond, the Coral, the Island and next year, the Tahitian Princess.... My friends and I wanted to do Tahiti in the summer of 2009 and now I hear Princess is taking the ship to Alaska... I just don't get it..... :cool: Aren't they tripping over themselves already, let alone adding another ship...... Seems overkill to me.......

Well, the Caribbean Market is starting to experience problems, NCL is running into problems in Hawaii... Business for Cruise Lines is starting to get tough in the long run.

Somebody once said Princess owns Alaska... That might be an exaggeration however they do have a lot of stuff up there that needs to pay back the money once put into it.

I think basically they try to establish Alaska as their "core market" like NCL did with Hawaii, RCCL with the Caribbean...

Well, the Caribbean Market is starting to experience problems, NCL is running into problems in Hawaii... Business for Cruise Lines is starting to get tough in the long run.

Somebody once said Princess owns Alaska... That might be an exaggeration however they do have a lot of stuff up there that needs to pay back the money once put into it.

I think basically they try to establish Alaska as their "core market" like NCL did with Hawaii, RCCL with the Caribbean...

What kind of problems are they experiencing in the Caribbean? Thanks!

I could see putting more ships in the Caribbean or Mexico or keeping the Tahitian Princess in Tahiti.... But they are 5 ships going to be in Alaska and that only includes Princess!! What about NCL, Carnival and RCCL????? They have ships there too..... It amazes me..... Maybe it shouldn't but it does......

I could see putting more ships in the Caribbean or Mexico or keeping the Tahitian Princess in Tahiti.... But they are 5 ships going to be in Alaska and that only includes Princess!! What about NCL, Carnival and RCCL????? They have ships there too..... It amazes me..... Maybe it shouldn't but it does......

Don't forget Holland America. They also have a strong presence in Alaska.

Markets like the Caribbean and Mexico are starting to die down. Less bookings=less ships in service there.

While markets like Alaska, Mediterranean, and possibly Northern Europe are gaining much more popularity.

I hope that made sense.

Its sort of like.... Years ago, Caribbean had a demand of 8 and Alaska had demand of 4. Now, Caribbean has a demand of 5-6 and Alaska has a demand of 7. The ships are merely being transfered to where the $$$ is.

(It's exam week at school, so I'm giving alot of explenations for things that are set up like math or science stats.:D )

Baby boomers are getting older, have been to the Caribbean a number of times [especially the Western Carib], looking for something different and more interesting...

Costs a lot to get to Tahiti, less to get to Vancouver, Seattle, San Francisco...

Can anyone, Princess included, tell me why they are insisting on having 5 Princess ships in Alaska during the summer????? I mean really, 5 ships????? They have the Dawn, the Diamond, the Coral, the Island and next year, the Tahitian Princess.........

Actually, Princess will have eight ships in Alaska, both this year and next, but I understand your point.

Jim

With all of those Princess Ships going to Alaska, will any of them be sailing out of San Francisco next year?

Anne,

Yes, the Dawn Princess will be doing the ten day cruises out of San Francisco again in 2008. The Sun Princess was originally scheduled for this itinerary in 2008, but it was recently switched to the Dawn Princess.

Jim

While there’s no question that revenue is part of the equation, Princess is actually maximizing their revenue by offering a variety of itineraries. The 7-day Vancouver to Whittier (or back) allows for a 14 day back to back or extended land tours. The 7-day round trip from Seattle is a good one-week vacation option and the 10 day San Francisco run is good for us who like to be at sea. The boutique cruises offer something for people who have been to the same old Alaskan ports and want to see something more in something other than a mega-ship.

As for the number of ships – right…there’s enough demand to keep them full, no matter the per diem. Otherwise they wouldn’t be there.

I will not take another cruise to Alaska or Mexico out of San Francisco until Princess puts a decent ship other than the Dawn or Sun on the schedule. I have gone to Mexico 3 times on Princes (twice on the Dawn), plus once with Celebrity and to Alaska once on the Pacific Princess. Love to cruise, would go just for the ship if they put a bigger - newer ship. Otherwise, I will be looking to Celebrity or Holland American in the future.

The problem with Alaska is that it is such a short season......they can sell out the cruises......but only have a little over three months to sail....:)

Archived