Has anyone been to Haines

sira3

has anyone ever been to haines. what is it like and is it worth doing a trip there. If you have been there what did you do? any information would be appreciated. We are thining of doing the mountain 4x4.

Yes, I've been to Haines. Small, very scenic, interesting port. :) Hopefully someone will post for you on the ATV tour?? I would check the description, if it allows you any extra time to see "downtown" sites??

Just returned from the Norwegian Pearl and we did the Takshanuk Mountain Trail by 4 x 4 excursion in Haines and we highly recommend it. We (my brother, my parents and I) were looking for an unusual excursion that was not too strenuous because my Mother has some mobility problems. We had already done the drive to Emerald Lake in 2005 so we decided to try this based on some recommendations from previous cruisers.

The Pearl arrived in Skagway early in the morning and we met up with our excursion group at 7:20am. There were about 20 of us and we took a very short bus ride (about 5 minutes) to the small boat harbor where we boarded the Fast Ferry to Haines. The ferry is a small catamaran that was very comfortable and it provided a smooth, enjoyable ride. I guess the trip was about 30 minutes but it seemed much shorter. There was a guide on board who provided narration throughout the trip and the captain even stopped to show us an area where sea lions were sunning themselves.

When we arrived in Haines we took a short bus ride to the excursion site and the driver (year round resident) was very personable and gave us a lot of information about the town. At the trail we met up with Dale (the owner) and his two assistants and we all got on our Kawasaki Mules and headed up the mountain. The 4 x 4s are a lot of fun to ride. My Dad drove on the way up and my brother drove on the way down and both said they'd like to do it again. Each vehicle can hold 4 adults but some of our group had just 2 people in theirs while one family had 4 adults and 1 child. Each Mule has seatbelts for everyone but they are open to the elements and there is no windshield, so it can get chilly. We were there on May 23rd and there was still a lot of snow on the ground. The trail itself was a little muddy but cleared of snow - it made for a very beautiful and dramatic ride. Especially when we drove between 10 foot high walls of snow and ice!

On the way up you make a brief stop at a comfortable cabin for coffee/tea/cocoa and cookies and a chance to warm up before continuing on. The trail is quite steep at times and it looks kind of scary but after a while you realize that the vehicles are perfectly suited for this type of terrain and you just relax and enjoy the ride/scenery. We continued up to the 1500 foot elevation scenic lookout and had a beautiful view of the valley, the lake and the cabin we had stopped at. There is ample time for taking pictures and looking for wildlife. We saw lots of animal tracks but not the animals themselves - probably because the Mules are rather noisy.

After enjoying the summit we headed back down the trail. This time, we stopped at the cabin for lunch. I understand that the menu can change, but we enjoyed delicious beer battered halibut, barbecued chicken, red potatoes and dessert. It was great and another highlight of our trip. After our leisurely lunch, we once again boarded our Mules and continued down the trail. Unfortunately, it was over all too soon.

After saying goodbye to Dale and his helpers we reboarded the bus and were taken on a short tour of the town of Haines. It's a very quaint little town with a lot of history behind it. We didn't have time to get out and walk around, but our driver was great about giving us a bit of local color and history. Back at the pier we got on the ferry again and headed back to Skagway. Once again, we had some narration and the captain stopped to show us a beautiful waterfall along the cliffs.

All in all, we had a great time and would definitely do it again. Just remember to dress warmly, bring gloves, maybe a hat and sunglasses. Also, don't forget your camera.

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. it has really helped me make a decision. but one question, we have never been to Skagway would you suggest the haines trip over the train? We are a youngish couple and I think the Haines trip would be a litte more fun but don't want to miss out on the train if it is better. again thank you for your information.

A few years ago, our HAL ship stopped at Haines and quite a few of us did take HAL's excursion which included the ferry to Skagway and then the train and ferry back to the ship. No time was allowed for walking around Skagway due to our departure time from Haines.

Love the train. Scenery is so beautiful.

Just returned from the Norwegian Pearl and we did the Takshanuk Mountain Trail by 4 x 4 excursion in Haines and we highly recommend it. We (my brother, my parents and I) were looking for an unusual excursion that was not too strenuous because my Mother has some mobility problems. We had already done the drive to Emerald Lake in 2005 so we decided to try this based on some recommendations from previous cruisers.

The Pearl arrived in Skagway early in the morning and we met up with our excursion group at 7:20am. There were about 20 of us and we took a very short bus ride (about 5 minutes) to the small boat harbor where we boarded the Fast Ferry to Haines. The ferry is a small catamaran that was very comfortable and it provided a smooth, enjoyable ride. I guess the trip was about 30 minutes but it seemed much shorter. There was a guide on board who provided narration throughout the trip and the captain even stopped to show us an area where sea lions were sunning themselves.

When we arrived in Haines we took a short bus ride to the excursion site and the driver (year round resident) was very personable and gave us a lot of information about the town. At the trail we met up with Dale (the owner) and his two assistants and we all got on our Kawasaki Mules and headed up the mountain. The 4 x 4s are a lot of fun to ride. My Dad drove on the way up and my brother drove on the way down and both said they'd like to do it again. Each vehicle can hold 4 adults but some of our group had just 2 people in theirs while one family had 4 adults and 1 child. Each Mule has seatbelts for everyone but they are open to the elements and there is no windshield, so it can get chilly. We were there on May 23rd and there was still a lot of snow on the ground. The trail itself was a little muddy but cleared of snow - it made for a very beautiful and dramatic ride. Especially when we drove between 10 foot high walls of snow and ice!

On the way up you make a brief stop at a comfortable cabin for coffee/tea/cocoa and cookies and a chance to warm up before continuing on. The trail is quite steep at times and it looks kind of scary but after a while you realize that the vehicles are perfectly suited for this type of terrain and you just relax and enjoy the ride/scenery. We continued up to the 1500 foot elevation scenic lookout and had a beautiful view of the valley, the lake and the cabin we had stopped at. There is ample time for taking pictures and looking for wildlife. We saw lots of animal tracks but not the animals themselves - probably because the Mules are rather noisy.

After enjoying the summit we headed back down the trail. This time, we stopped at the cabin for lunch. I understand that the menu can change, but we enjoyed delicious beer battered halibut, barbecued chicken, red potatoes and dessert. It was great and another highlight of our trip. After our leisurely lunch, we once again boarded our Mules and continued down the trail. Unfortunately, it was over all too soon.

After saying goodbye to Dale and his helpers we reboarded the bus and were taken on a short tour of the town of Haines. It's a very quaint little town with a lot of history behind it. We didn't have time to get out and walk around, but our driver was great about giving us a bit of local color and history. Back at the pier we got on the ferry again and headed back to Skagway. Once again, we had some narration and the captain stopped to show us a beautiful waterfall along the cliffs.

All in all, we had a great time and would definitely do it again. Just remember to dress warmly, bring gloves, maybe a hat and sunglasses. Also, don't forget your camera.

Thanks, Tobester, for such an indepth review. We'll be doing this excursion on our June 17th cruise on the Pearl. Since we've been to Skagway 4 times, we decided to "spread our wings" and see Haines.

I was disappointed to hear that you didn't get time to actually walk through the fort or the town of Haines. With our late evening departure from Skagway, there surely is enough time for that.

I wonder if you can stay in Haines and take a later "fast ferry" back to Skagway?:confused:

Sira3- I've never done the train so I can't really compare the two. My personal preference would be to do the Haines excursion because it's less crowded and somewhat more active than just sitting on a train for a couple of hours. However, I've heard lots of people rave about how wonderful the train ride was. I guess it's really up to you. FYI - my brother and I are in our 30s and our parents are in their 60s and all of us really enjoyed the Takshanuk excursion.

Brunolvr- I don't see why you couldn't take a later ferry back to Skagway. I saw a ferry schedule posted on the dock that showed quite a few more trip times between Haines and Skagway for later that day. We had other plans in Skagway so we headed back right after our excursion. HAL's Ryndam was docked in Haines and there were 4 ships in Skagway, so there were quite a few people going back and forth between the two ports. The ferry was a great way to both sightsee and commute at the same time.

I'll go ahead and share that we have been to Haines, however we did the kayaking excursion at Chilkat (or was it Chilkoot? can't remember right now :o) Lake. We really enjoyed it! We are a "young-ish" couple as well. Neither of us had kayaked before, so we definitely had an adventure! :) It was so refreshing to get away from 'touristy Alaska' and experience AK's magnificent nature up close and personally. It was also interesting to learn about "small town Alaska" and the shuttle bus driver was full of details and facts. I'm sure the train ride would be nice, but we wanted to get out in the beauty, if you know what I mean. :)

I know you'll have an amazing time! Happy cruising...

• 3 weeks later...

We just returned from Alaska on the Pearl and did this excursion on June 20th and had a great time! It was a lot of fun and enjoyed by all who went on it.

We'll have to agree with Tobester as the review covers everything!:)

Didn't see this mentioned... maybe I missed it. We weren't sure where to get tickets for the fast ferry. They are available on the ferry at the dock. Just to maybe save someone some time and confusion...

Ferry times are posted, among other places I'm sure, at the Klondike Nat'l Park visitor center in downtown Skagway. Likely available online, also.

We just did a walkabout of Haines, then spent time in Skagway before and after. Haines is much less commercial than the typical port towns.

Drew, can you describe what you saw a little more? Eagles? Moose? Great scenery? What about it did you really like? I'm considering this tour, so I'll be interested in whatever details you provide.

We saw a number of eagles and nests, as well as other birds. We saw evidence of beavers and wolves, but not the animals themselves. The guides said that they have seen moose and bear out there, but we were still extremely early in the season (mid-May). The scenery, though, was staggeringly beautiful, and it was very peaceful to just float along, taking it all in.

We're travelling the Star in late August, and our 14yo son has picked the Takshanuk Mountain Trail By 4 X 4 as his excursion of choice (our 12yo has chosen the pricey four glacier helicopter/dogsled excursion in Juneau *ouch*). Anyhow, researching this excursion, we're concerned that there won't be enough "thrill" in it for our boys.

Is it true that the mules go no faster than 3mph? If so, that's slower than a brisk walk! Can you expand upon the driving experience, and whether or not there is enough exceitment to entertain a pair of boys ages 12 and 14?

Thanks!

We did the Eagle Preserve float tour too (last week). We saw lots of eagles. No other wildlife, but the scenery is magnificent. The float is nothing like whitewater rafting - very calm and peaceful. If you're looking for adventure, it probably isn't what you want, but it was one of our favorite excursions.

JohnQ ~

This May, ferry tickets were a little over $50 per person. The day we were there, seems like the ferry was on about 3 hour time schedule. The ride itself takes about 45 minutes.

Very nice, beautiful setting... we could've spent more time in Haines, but already had made afternoon plans in Skagway.

Unless you have made prior arrangements, be aware that walking is necessary, as the ferry docks some distance from downtown Haines. Ft. Wm. Seward is close to the dock with interesting historic buildings. Downtown is maybe 1/2 to 3/4 mile. Just FYI if you have mobility issues.

Preds-- Not sure if this excursion will be "thrilling" enough for your boys. I can say that everyone on our tour had a great time, but none of us were 12 or 14 years old. There was a young child (about 5 years old) with us, but everyone else was an adult. My brother and I are in our 30s and my parents are in their 60s and we all loved it.

I guess 3 mph sounds about right for the speed of the mules, but the trail is such that you're not really aiming for lots of speed. There are a lot of hills, curves and dips so you don't want to go too fast -- on the other hand, my brother had a ball when it was his turn to drive and kind of turned it into a roller coaster ride on the way down the trail. The dips were great fun, the weather was beautiful and cool and we totally enjoyed it.

Unfortunately, you need to have a driver's license in order to operate the mules, so your boys won't be able to drive but I still think they'd enjoy it.

We're travelling the Star in late August, and our 14yo son has picked the Takshanuk Mountain Trail By 4 X 4 as his excursion of choice (our 12yo has chosen the pricey four glacier helicopter/dogsled excursion in Juneau *ouch*). Anyhow, researching this excursion, we're concerned that there won't be enough "thrill" in it for our boys.

Is it true that the mules go no faster than 3mph? If so, that's slower than a brisk walk! Can you expand upon the driving experience, and whether or not there is enough exceitment to entertain a pair of boys ages 12 and 14?

Thanks!

I'd have to agree with Tobester that this excursion may not be exciting enough for your boys, ages 12 & 14. You do have to have a valid driver's license to drive one of the Kawasaki Mules.

We enjoyed the magnificent scenery and views from the various lookouts. However, the dads and husbands doing the driving of the Mules up the steep inclines and around the sharp turns, did have a great time!

We had several boys on our trip who were between 8 and 10 and they had a great time, especially since a couple of them were from Florida and had never seen snow before. They got to have a snowball fight and slide down a hill at the 1500' elevation when we stopped for viewing. Although by the end of August (or before), the snow will probably be gone.

Archived