Maasdam May 19th - Part 1

Gunters Oma

MONTREAL

Our flight left Sarasota at 6:40 AM - changed planes in Atlanta - after a short delay we arrived in Montreal a half hour late. As we ascended the steps from the plane to the Immigration Hall, the little tram was sitting there waiting. The driver kept asking people if they wanted a ride, but everyone we saw waved him off. We had been told by a Canadian friend - "if the little tram is there take it…if it is not there, wait for it." So we hopped on and so did a few people behind us and we went zooming! It is a very, very, very long distance to Immigration! A long haul to the hall! So if you are flying into Montreal - remember the advice from our Canadian friend.

Down the steps, across the hall, right up to the Immigration Officer - the place was empty - stamp, stamp! We made our way to the luggage carousel and our bags were there at the same time. We grabbed a cab and headed to the hotel. We stayed at the Springhill Suites in Old Montreal. This is a great place for a pre-cruise visit. The rooms are large and clean, the bed was comfortable, the "continental breakfast" was great - Belgian waffles, asparagus and cheddar omelette, sausage, all sorts of breads and muffins, plus the standard cereal and fruits. The location was excellent, convenient to most tourist attractions and two blocks from the harbor. Plus compared to some other hotels close by quite reasonable. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Oh, there was a computer with free internet for those of us without laptops.

After check-in, the weather was perfect so we strolled through a little park over to Notre Dame Basilica. Amazing, awesome - words cannot describe this church…sensory overload!!! We stayed for the tour/lecture - excellent details about the history and the building of the Basilica.

We wandered around Old Montreal - up and down charming, cobblestone streets with the most interesting architecture.

We had dinner at Jardin Nelson's - a courtyard restaurant nestled between two buildings. Even though it was open-air and the night was chilly - they had overhanging heaters and enormous inverted umbrellas to keep you warm and dry! We order the most scrumptious crepes. Oh yes, they also had a jazz trio playing! Too cool! Besides the waiter (who was bi-lingual) we were the only English-speaking people in the place.

We walked along the waterfront and hailed a caleche for a half hour trip. I believe this might be heaven. :rolleyes:

Up at 6AM we got ourselves ready for the day - had the yummy breakfast, checked the email, packed up, check our luggage at the front desk and headed out for more sight-seeing. We walked to the metro -- rode the fastest moving underground I have ever been on - then transferred to the #11 bus and up to Parc Mont Royal (the mountain in the city). Truly breath-taking views of Montreal - old and new. We could see part of the Maasdam peeking through the skyscrapers. We decided to trek down the mountain..enjoying the towering trees, craggy rock formations, trickling waterfalls - just wonderful, wonderful to us flat-landed Floridians.

Back at the hotel, we gathered our belongings and headed to the ship! We had been told we were so close to the pier we would have a difficult time getting a taxi if we told them where we were going and the folks at the front desk said it was a quick and easy walk…even if you were dragging luggage with you! One of our shipmates said they did a taxi from a nearby hotel and their driver accidentally took a wrong turn and they ended up taking the scenic route to the pier. The scenic route being slightly more expensive.:eek:

Another tip for anyone choosing to walk to the ship. When you get there and the guards point to the tall, metal stairway and tell you the embarkation area is at the top - do not rush to the stairway and attempt to cart/push/shove/drag your luggage to the top. Instead - look at them in amazement - smile and say - What is my next choice? They will then reluctantly give you directions to the freight elevator - which brings you out inside the terminal.

EMBARKATION:

We arrived at the terminal about 12:30. We handed over our luggage and waited in a slow-moving line for about 25 minutes to get through security. Once through security it was a snap to get checked in, have our picture taken for the ID card and head up the gangway. We were directed to our cabin and two of our three pieces of luggage were already there! Time - approximately 1:05PM!

CABIN:

354 - lower promenade, inside - We were quite surprised - it was larger than we expected…actually had room to walk by both sides of the bed. Plus we could change clothes in the room at the same time. It had a loveseat, a chair, a table, plus the vanity and round hassock thing. Plenty of drawer/closet space for the two of us - we even had an empty drawer. The bed was comfortable and the pillows - big and fluffy. Also there were our excursion tickets, a letter from the beverage manager confirming the meet & greet, and a gift from our TA for a free photo. What a way to start the cruise!

FOOD:

The Lido was not too impressive - pretty much ordinary buffet fare. Over the entire voyage we ate in the Lido several times. Breakfast was very good --- I usually had the omelette or Belgian waffles - DH the made-to-order eggs and sausage. The few other lunches we tried varied from okay to a couple of really good dishes.

Overall we much preferred the dining room - where the food was great…with a couple of very goods. We never had a breakfast, lunch or dinner in the main dining room that we rated as ordinary. Everything was tasty and the presentation was excellent! :)

They have stopped dividing the menu into Appetizers, Soups, and Salads. Now everything is under Starters and there are only a few of appetizers, two soups and one salad plus the Caesar salad on the "always available" list - although you could still order an appetizer, soup and salad.

The filet mignon/tenderloin was every bit as good in the dining room as it was in the Pinnacle.

We ate lunch in the Pinnacle and it was super - well worth the $15.00 surcharge.

Room service was always a few minutes early every morning. Generally 5-10 minutes before the wake up call. We started the day with a continental breakfast…coffee and danish for DH, chocolate croissants for me!

Oh BTW you can order two dinners, but you can only order them one at a time. In other words, if you order lobster, but also want chicken. Then they serve you the lobster dinner and as you are finishing it - you order the chicken. However, if you order two desserts - they bring you two desserts. ß I know this because I did order two desserts!

LIFEBOAT DRILL/SAILAWAY

Interesting situation at the lifeboat drill. Everyone was assembled, but they were only half through checking off the names when the captain announced the drill was over. So quite a few folks just left and the rest of us stayed to give our room numbers. I have no idea what they did about the people who just left!!!!

The sailaway was fantastic. The weather was beautiful. The sun was shining; the breeze was present, but gentle. The Maasdam pushed herself away from the pier and glided out into the channel…all is right in my world!!!!

We went to the sky deck to watch as the ship passed under the Montreal bridge and headed into the St. Lawrence. The river is fast-moving. You can see it. You can feel it as the Maasdam makes her way in. We stand and watch - taking in all the scenery…which way to look - hard to choose. It is difficult to leave and get ready for dinner.

More tomorrow! My fingers are tired

Thanks much for the great review and the tips on Montreal. I don't know if I will get a chance to read the rest of your review before we leave since we are driving to Boston later today and will fly to Montreal tommorow. We are spending a couple of days there before boarding the Maasdam on Saturday. I will have to compare notes with your trip when I get back.

Thank you very much for the excellent review Gunters Oma. We are booked on the Veendam in Oct. from Montreal to Tampa. We are staying at the Spring Hill Suites and were told it was an excellent hotel and close to the port. Wondering about the walk to the pier, especially, with two large suite cases, one carry-on, and DH with a cane. Any cobble stones to encounter or uneven sidewalks? If so, may settle for a cab.

Glad you enjoyed your cruise on the Maasdam. It is a fine ship.

Starysacz...

There is only a small area of cobblestones directly in front of the hotel. I asked DH if he would do it again (I really thought he would say no). He grinned and said it is all downhill and the bigger the wheels the easier the ride! :D He says the advantage was using the elevator we entered the terminal from the inside. As we proceeded out the door - a red coat HAL person took our luggage and we were immediately in the line.

That being said I would give you these directions --- when you exit the hotel - go straight, a very short distance to the next block then turn left. It is only one block to the main artery by the river; you will see the ship. Cross the street...you will go over railroad tracks...and you will be on the big walkway by the river...it's probably 3 city blocks to the ship. Go through the security gate and when they tell you to use the stairs -- say thanks I'll take the elevator! Continue passed the stair to the stop sign. Turn right into the cavernous garage - make a left and look for the huge blue doors on the left...that is the freight elevator!

It is only a $4.00 cab fare to the pier (according to the driver that brought us to town from the airport) but two different folks that took taxis from close by hotels paid $11 and $13 CAD for scenic routes. If I were going to take a cab...I would just tell the driver when I got in the cab --- I'll give $10 American - please take me to the pier.

You say that you ate at the Pinicale for lunch. Which day or days can you do that? We have coupons for it through our travel agent and were hoping that we can do it for lunch also.

Hurry with your answer as we leave this Saturday....heehee. Thanks for a great review so far!!

Dan

Gunters Oma - Thank you for the very helpful information and directions if we were to walk. That may cause a problem (distance) for DH as he is having difficulty with a tendon in the right ankle. However, it is under treatment and may be alleviated by October.

You say that you ate at the Pinicale for lunch. Which day or days can you do that? We have coupons for it through our travel agent and were hoping that we can do it for lunch also.

Hurry with your answer as we leave this Saturday....heehee. Thanks for a great review so far!!

Dan

Dan -- the Pinnacle Grill was open every day except one but only from 12:30 to 1:30. I would make your reservation as soon as you are onboard!

Jayne

For all the kind words on all three threads -- I thank you! I am glad you like it! I am touched! :)

May there be as much pleasure in the reading as there is in the writing.

Jayne

PS - I am posting this on all the threads - so if you get a sense of de ja vue...well...

Archived