Kids and Surcharge Resturants

Is there a reason children are not allowed into the surcharge resturants? Also what is the difference between Windjammer and Seaview and do all ships have them? Thank you:)

It's the cruise line policy. Folks are paying 20.00 per person to eat there and some don't want to hear young children in there. It's a slow paced meal, they tell you to allow 2-3 hours for dinner. (average is 2)

All ships have windjammer. Radiance class ships have seaview, Sovereign class, Voyager class and Freedom class have Johnny Rockets.

Windjammer and Seaview are included, there is a cover charge for Johnny Rockets (3.95 pp) but you get a free coupon in your coupon book (for repeat customers)

Winjammer is a buffet, Seaview and JRs are sit down (or take out)

If I remember correctly I believe they may let children in before 6:00 pm or so, but at $20 a head I still wouldn't bring my 3 year old in no matter what time of day even though she can sit through a 2 hour dinner (yes she can, but bring her to a store, forget it, I'm about to shoot myself:o )

Because it's a 13 and older dining venue to give it more of an adult atmosphere feel.

I barely had the patience to deal with 2.5 hours at Portofino...I can guarantee my children wouldn't.

It is a LONG DRAWN OUT meal. VERY long. Did I mention it was LONG? lol :D

On FOS they allowed children before 6pm. I booked for 7pm and let my children at the kid's club.

What is the Solarium:o

The solarium is a pool area (covered on some ships) that are adult only areas. I know the voyager class/freedom class and Radiance all have them. I don't believe the older ships do.

This is the solarium on the Brilliance

4op6khe.jpg

The same reason that adults are not allowed in the kiddies-only areas.....A chance for adults to be in the company of other adults. :)

LOL, This is funny, we saw as many adults in the H2O zone as we did kids, no one said a word to them. And I'm talking adults without children.

LOL, This is funny, we saw as many adults in the H2O zone as we did kids, no one said a word to them. And I'm talking adults without children.

:eek: ROFL!! You'll always get gate crashers....even if they're senior citizens!!! :D

What is the Solarium:o

Solarium on Freedom (Liberty is the same) Adult Only....kids begged to be at the AO and I was lounging! :D

600791-R1-13-56A_014.jpg

Oh and no where does it say NO ADULTS in H20 zone...lol. Especially if you are following the child around. They encourage adults there. I saw enough parents MIA at the H20 when they should have been watching their kids dive off the walls of the Lazy Donut. :eek:

OH Michele, I DO LOVE that Solarium on the Freedom! Thanx for the pic! Much nicer than the Explorer's.

Nice huh! And the chairs were so comfy with those cushions on them. I NEVER take a nap in the sun but I did there!

And that was a port day (Jamaica) so I traded Jamaica for the Solarium. ;)

Way to GO!!! The Explorer does have cushions on their loungers too, and they are great!! I LOVE the bridge over the pool in your picture! It creates a nice shady spot while in the water! :p

OOOOPS....I'M CUTTING OUT BEFORE WE GET RIPPED FOR BEING OT. SEE YA AROUND.

Way to GO!!! The Explorer does have cushions on their loungers too, and they are great!! I LOVE the bridge over the pool in your picture! It creates a nice shady spot while in the water! :p

OOOOPS....I'M CUTTING OUT BEFORE WE GET RIPPED FOR BEING OT. SEE YA AROUND.

And there are stools UNDER the bridge...kind of like a bar built so you can sit and chat under the bridge. :eek: Amazing!

Hey the OP asked what the solarium is, we are STILL ON topic. ;)

Trust me..........if it wasnt rainy while we were on the LB,I would have been in there too..........I dont think its strictly a kids only area,is it??

And there are stools UNDER the bridge...kind of like a bar built so you can sit and chat under the bridge. :eek: Amazing!

;)

Sounds like the solarium on the LB!!

I am just curious if they will allow an older child (10) to go to an earlier seating? He is well used to fine dining or I would not even ask!:rolleyes:

Chops and Portofinos have their first reservation at 6 pm on Mariner.

The rule is that children must be 13. I'm sure your child is very well-mannered, but others are not and their parents would never admit to as much.

The rule is that children must be 13. I'm sure your child is very well-mannered, but others are not and their parents would never admit to as much.

Everyone thinks that their kids are well behaved and should be excepted from the "rules". I'll be the first to admit that mine are not angels. I thought we were going to get kicked out of Pizza Hut the other day:eek:, of all places, the way my kids were acting. I just wanted to crawl under the table and disappear:o. Individually, my kids are fine. But get them together and they have to over compete with the others (talk louder, get sillier, get goofier, etc.). They got a stern lecture from me when we got home (and time outs).

As for no kids in the specialty restaurants? I'm all for it. Adults need a place to dine in peace, if they so desire, without having to sit next to my whiny kids asking when dinner is going to be over (or when is the food going to get here):D;). Having said this, I have seen adults behave worse than any rambunctous(sp) little kid.

My eight year old is seriously bummed that he cannot go to Chops. He's a foodie and is into fine dining. Sorry about that, but he's got to obey the rules too. It's just too long for the kids and I really don't want to be in the company of children when I go there. I know, that's mean, but I'm with mine 24/7 and a break is nice.

Last week I was on a plane (full) with grandparents and their 11 month old grandkid who was HANDED TO ME for long stretches all the way from Detroit to Las Vegas. The grandfather would not touch the child and the grandmother had to go to the restroom, a lot!! I should have told them to take a flying leap, but I was so horrified, I didn't.

My younger son (also a big "foodie") will only be a few months shy of his 13th birthday on our cruise. We're hoping to get him in to an early seating. This will be our first RCCL cruise, but when we cruised Princess, the specialty restaurants were empty around 5 - 6 p.m. We never needed a reservation and were usually the only people there. We're not gate crashers...we'll tell them how old he is and if we're sent packing, so be it, but we're hopeful.

In the meantime, does anyone know if we can get him "take-out" if they won't let him in? :)

In the meantime, does anyone know if we can get him "take-out" if they won't let him in? :)

I do not believe that they have takeout from the specialty restaurants since all of the food is cooked to order, and it is a 5-6 course meal :confused: . They will let you take your dessert with you, however.

I actually know the answer to the take out question. Nope, only with dessert. I got my signals crossed in Portofino's once. The waitress thought I wanted to take out a meal, I wanted dessert. The manager came over and calmly explained that they are not set up for take out. I told him I just wanted the tiramisu and it was fine. So, only dessert and only one dessert, *if* you don't eat it at the table.

Archived