American Geography

Dorchester

Having just checked out the details of our forthcoming cruise (Norwegian Odyssey - M716) on QM2 on the 'Voyage Personaliser', (admitidly I inadvertantly logged on to the American site rather than the UK site), I was most surprised to find that:-

(1) The ship leaves from London (Southampton). :eek: As Southampton is some 80 miles from London (according to the the Ordinance Survey), and average travelling time by road between the two is 2 hours (according to the AA), surely this is somewhat misleading to anyone who does not have the advantage of 'local' UK knowledge? Such (mis)information might well lead our American cousins to conclude that Southampton was a suburb of London!

(2) Our destination is "Europe - Baltic". According to all of the atlases that I have consulted, (just to check my schoolboy geography!), all of the ports of call on the itinerary are on the West Coast of Norway - apart from Le Harvre in France - and therefore nowhere near the Baltic Sea. So why does Cunard refer to the cruise as "Europe - Baltic"? :confused:

If Cunard is somewhat slip-shod regarding their Geography, can we be certain that other information given by them is accurate?

David

The ship leaves from London (Southampton). :eek: As Southampton is some 80 miles from London (according to the the Ordinance Survey), and average travelling time by road between the two is 2 hours (according to the AA), surely this is somewhat misleading to anyone who does not have the advantage of 'local' UK knowledge?

Is it any different from Granada from Malaga, Venice from Trieste, etc?

If Cunard is somewhat slip-shod regarding their Geography, can we be certain that other information given by them is accurate?

David - since when have you trusted any information Cunard gave you?:rolleyes:

David - since when have you trusted any information Cunard gave you?:rolleyes:

Very true Malcolm - you would have thought that I would have learned by now!"

David

P.S. I still think that "London (Southampton)" is stretching things a bit though!

Norway is considered a Baltic State.

Who by?

Norway is a Scandinavian Country, not a Baltic one. Baltic countries tend to be on the Baltic. Very boring and predictable of them, but there you are.

Matthew

Who by?

Norway is a Scandinavian Country, not a Baltic one. Baltic countries tend to be on the Baltic. Very boring and predictable of them, but there you are.

Matthew

Crazy that, they tend to be on the Baltic!

'Tis true, if you look at the trips on the US site. Various stops in Norway, then the one in France, and it's called Baltic. So, it's by Cunard, thinking Geography is an unknown in the US. Sigh. Aim higher, for goodness' sake!

I happened to look at that voyage, and wondered where the Baltic part was. I thought, Oh!, I'm just dumb to get it. I mean, I had no idea France was part of the Baltics!

I think you guys are reading too much into this.

On the U.S. Cunard website, the voyages/cruises are divided into these categories:

Transatlantic

The Americas

Europe and the Baltic

Mediterranean

World Cruise

Your cruise simply falls into the category of "Europe and the Baltic"

They're not saying yours is a Baltic cruise, they're just telling which category of theirs it comes under.

QE2's 40th Anniversary cruise is also under the category "Europe and the Baltic", which, if you really want to be picky, is neither European nor Baltic.

Reading into this as Cunard being misleading or misinformed or ignorant is overdoing things.

I think you guys are reading too much into this.

On the Cunard website, the voyages/cruises are divided into categories:

Transatlantic

The Americas

Europe and the Baltic

Mediterranean

World Cruise

Your cruise simply falls into the category of "Europe and the Baltic"

They're not saying yours is a Baltic cruise, they're just telling which category of theirs it comes under.

QE2's 40th Anniversary cruise is also under the category "Europe and the Baltic", which, if you really want to be picky, is neither European nor Baltic.

Reading into this as Cunard being misleading or misinformed or ignorant is overdoing things.

You know, I think you're right. But I looked at the map of the itinerary, and it said, "The Baltic", and it struck me as strange. And like I didn't know any better. But of course, sometimes on the internet, we forget what the previous page(s) said and only remember the most recent.

Thanks for your clarification! It helps.

It is certainly European. Last time I looked the United Kingdom was still part of Europe.

Or has Blair given us away to Bush as a parting gift?

Matthew

It is certainly European. Last time I looked the United Kingdom was still part of Europe.

Or has Blair given us away to Bush as a parting gift?

Matthew

Sorry, my bad, I guess I just have never heard a Brit claim any allegiance to Europe.

Well, may I be the first? I'm a European.

An Englishman first, a European second.

Matthew

First I've heard of! To this day I make sure to distinguish between UK and Europe. Have I been mislead?

First I've heard of! To this day I make sure to distinguish between UK and Europe. Have I been mislead?

It rather depends on whom you ask......

Europe isn't universally popular. But given that the European legacy includes Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert, Mahler together with Leonardo and Michelangelo, I'm happy to be with them.

Not the French, clearly. But that's another story!

Matthew

Crazy that, they tend to be on the Baltic!

'Tis true, if you look at the trips on the US site. Various stops in Norway, then the one in France, and it's called Baltic. So, it's by Cunard, thinking Geography is an unknown in the US. Sigh. Aim higher, for goodness' sake!

I happened to look at that voyage, and wondered where the Baltic part was. I thought, Oh!, I'm just dumb to get it. I mean, I had no idea France was part of the Baltics!

I think it was one of those post-World War II land swaps! <G>

Like in the beginning of Herman Wouk's "Don't Stop the Carnival"

Karie,

who likes Jimmy Buffett's version, too!

It rather depends on whom you ask......

Europe isn't universally popular. But given that the European legacy includes Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert, Mahler together with Leonardo and Michelangelo, I'm happy to be with them.

Not the French, clearly. But that's another story!

Matthew

:D Heh heh. I've got Italian (northern) on one side and English/Scottish (mostly) on the other side. So I like everyone. The French are what? Oh right. Another story. Hey, but they can cook...thanks to the Italians.

But I should just continue to ask, yes?

The ship leaves from London (Southampton). :eek: As Southampton is some 80 miles from London (according to the the Ordinance Survey), and average travelling time by road between the two is 2 hours (according to the AA), surely this is somewhat misleading to anyone who does not have the advantage of 'local' UK knowledge? Such (mis)information might well lead our American cousins to conclude that Southampton was a suburb of London!

We Americans are used to ridiculous simplifications in cruise brochure schedules. The most frequent bit of misinformation seems to be calling Rouen "Paris". I feel sorry for those poor souls who expect to be able to walk down the gangway and into the Louvre or the Rue de la Paix.

No. If they told me today was Wednesday I'd check a calendar!

Colin - The last time I looked at these boards was 2030 - before you posted. So today is Thursday, not Wednesday:p (Cunard, the Scots, all very unreliable:D you need to double check everything):rolleyes:

For those who don't have the good fortune to have been born in Yorkshire. Then you're a Yorkshireman first, Englishman second and European third:)

Then you're a Yorkshireman first, Englishman second and European third:)

Interesting how neither of our Englishmen consider themselves 'British'.....part of Bliar's legacy, no doubt........:(

Peter

Archived