Status Matching?

Cruisin from VA

Has anyone ever contacted another cruise line about matching your status on Princess? I know that cruises on other Carnival Corp. cruiselines don't contribute to one's status, but if I am Platinum on Princess would Carnival, HAL, or even RCL, NCL, etc match that status? Anyone tried? I know sometimes the airlines will do it as a way to earn your business but have yet to hear of anyone trying it on a cruiseline. Thanks for your input!

Has anyone ever contacted another cruise line about matching your status on Princess? I know that cruises on other Carnival Corp. cruiselines don't contribute to one's status, but if I am Platinum on Princess would Carnival, HAL, or even RCL, NCL, etc match that status? Anyone tried? I know sometimes the airlines will do it as a way to earn your business but have yet to hear of anyone trying it on a cruiseline. Thanks for your input!

That would be totally counter for having the status or rewards program in the first place, at least in my opinion, never heard of it done on the airlines, any examples?

It could be a smart marketing strategy to get new customers by displacing other lines's customers. However, since Carnival owns most of the cruise lines anyway, why bother?

Airlines will do it for certain flyers with status who have a business reason to do so. Unlike cruiselines, with airlines you earn your status every year. So they grant you status for one year and you have to make it on your own going forward. This is typically requested by and given to business travelers who change cities or jobs and will be primarily flying a different airline. I know several people who have done this. Don't see why cruiselines would do it though. The flow of business is different and it's a permanent change.

Airlines will do it for certain flyers with status who have a business reason to do so. Unlike cruiselines' date=' with airlines you earn your status every year. So they grant you status for one year and you have to make it on your own going forward. This is typically requested by and given to business travelers who change cities or jobs and will be primarily flying a different airline. I know several people who have done this. Don't see why cruiselines would do it though. The flow of business is different and it's a permanent change.[/quote']

well that makes sense.

still, some people cruise a LOT. I can see a temporary status change making sense to try and entice a good customer. However, I'd imagine it'd only be for one cruise and only to customers who sail at least 5 times a year or more.

You can try, but you will be wasting your efforts. Cruise lines, at least Princess, does not status match.

Yes they do with P&O.

If we go on Princess we are matched on our 2nd cruise with them and all of our P&O cruises count.

It does work the other way around but P&O Portunus club does not give the benefits of Princess.

Remember up until Carnival, Princess was part of P&O.:)

I think we also swap points with Cunard and Ocean Village.

:)Happy Cruising:)

:cool:

Dai

Yes they do with P&O.

If we go on Princess we are matched on our 2nd cruise with them and all of our P&O cruises count.

It does work the other way around but P&O Portunus club does not give the benefits of Princess.

Dang. This looks like another instance of "It depends on whom you talk to." I've specifically talked with Princess Corporate about this very issue and was told they do not have reciprocal agreements with any line - even within their own "family."

H & N

Yes they do with P&O.

:)Happy Cruising:)

Dai

I thought that is pretty much what I said. Princess will not match status. P&O cruises count towards your captains circle status, but you do not get the status with any other line??????????????? Like you said, if you cruise on P&O, you do not get the same status you get with Princess even though you can combine sailings on both lines.

With airline status matches, most airlines give you a status match once in your lifetime. So if you are at a certain elite level with say Northwest, and you try to get a status match from United, they might do it. But you can never ask United for a status match again.

I have found that the other cruise lines as part of the V.I.P. will consider you as a previous cruiser and give you those rates instead of a first time cruiser. However, no one has ever matched the amenities that Princess gives for their Gold, Platinum and Elite status.

From my expierence they will give you the same price but not benefits. I crused on Carnival and wanted to take a 10 Eastern Carib. They gave me the price but not the benefits, even the past guest reception. Princess was not a part of Carnival when I first cruised with them. Now it does not matter.

I thought that is pretty much what I said. Princess will not match status. P&O cruises count towards your captains circle status, but you do not get the status with any other line??????????????? Like you said, if you cruise on P&O, you do not get the same status you get with Princess even though you can combine sailings on both lines.

Sorry but they do,

If you are a Gold on P&O you go to the equivalent on Princess but only after your 2nd cruise with princess.

Many people on the P&O website message board Cruise Connections, have done this and have said how the Princess scheme is much better than ours.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

Dai

Sorry but they do,

If you are a Gold on P&O you go to the equivalent on Princess but only after your 2nd cruise with princess.

Just about right Dai. Princess and OV count towards P&O Portunus at 50% nightly rate. P&O cruises fully count towards Captain's Circle There is no cross benefit to the Cunard WorldClub.

Makes my membership P&O Sapphire; Princess Platinum; Cunard Gold

David

Thanks for all of the responses. I agree that they could not do a permanent match, but thought they may give you the status for one cruise as incentive to switch more permanently.

Also had no idea about the P&O - Princess connection with the Captain's Circle. Great information.

Carnival doesn't match within their family but RCCL and Celebrity do.

The highest status you have applies to both lines. But they don't combine sailigns between the two to help you achieve higher status. That has to be earned on either RCCL or X separately.

Carnival doesn't match within their family but RCCL and Celebrity do.

The highest status you have applies to both lines. But they don't combine sailigns between the two to help you achieve higher status. That has to be earned on either RCCL or X separately.

Maybe it is a good thing that they do not match. It might provide needed competition even within families. Each line would still have to find something that sets them apart from the others. Just a thought.

• 9 years later...

My understanding is that not only do Princess match P&O Peninsular points on Captain's Circle, but HAL match P&O to their loyalty scheme as well.

My understanding is that not only do Princess match P&O Peninsular points on Captain's Circle, but HAL match P&O to their loyalty scheme as well.

By gum John but you dragged this one out from a long way back. 9 years. The HAL. Link is a new one on me.

Looking forward to my Elite status next year.

Dai

:cool: :cool:

Thanks for posting the info.

For what its worth..........

Thread is nine years old and Toto probably will not answer as she has not been on CC since 2012.

Actually MSC Cruise lines will match any cruise lines loyalty program. So if you are Elite on Princess you will be in their highest tier. Check it out! The problem is their highest tier doesn't offer that much (IMHO).