December weather..water ?

dakota57

Can anyone tell me what the weather will be like in Belize in Late December. Also, is the water warm? We have several older family members that are a bit sensitive to cold these days but want to snorkel...

I read somewhere that the water where the cave tubing is done is quite cold and that there are snakes:eek: ??? Is this true?

Thanks...we are first timers and finding our way..this forum is a great help!!:)

Can anyone tell me what the weather will be like in Belize in Late December. Also, is the water warm? We have several older family members that are a bit sensitive to cold these days but want to snorkel...

I read somewhere that the water where the cave tubing is done is quite cold and that there are snakes:eek: ??? Is this true?

Thanks...we are first timers and finding our way..this forum is a great help!!:)

We have been to Belize twice and have seen no snakes, but they have to be there. The river is a little cool, but we had no trouble and were not uncomfortable. If you have never done this you need to give it a try. We saw people of all ages, sizes and shapes, so if you can walk on uneven ground carrying a tube for a mile or so, you will be alright.

The ocean temp in December is in the lower 80's. Weather on our first trip was pretty cool. The locals said it was the coldest that they had seen in years. Lows in the 50's.:eek: Our last trip was last Nov. and it was 85, sunny and absolutely perfect for snorkeling. So as you can see, it is the luck of the draw.

We have been to Belize twice and have seen no snakes, but they have to be there. The river is a little cool, but we had no trouble and were not uncomfortable. If you have never done this you need to give it a try. We saw people of all ages, sizes and shapes, so if you can walk on uneven ground carrying a tube for a mile or so, you will be alright.

The ocean temp in December is in the lower 80's. Weather on our first trip was pretty cool. The locals said it was the coldest that they had seen in years. Lows in the 50's.:eek: Our last trip was last Nov. and it was 85, sunny and absolutely perfect for snorkeling. So as you can see, it is the luck of the draw.

We were there last January, it was VERY nice weather...the river where they go cave tubing is very cool, but it was AWESOME you would love it! Try cavetubing.com it was a lot cheaper than the ship and quite the adventure! I would say December/ January is the perfect time of year to visit!

Oh, yeah, never saw any snakes..heard some strange noises in the jungle on the hike to the tubing but never saw a thing...supposedly there are bird eating spiders too (Discovery channel)...never saw those either!

Enjoy!

We were there early last December and the weather was warm--around 80. We didn't snorkel so I can't tell you about the temp. of the ocean, but I don't think it would be bad, probably much like at Cozumel, where I would guess the water temp was upper 70's. It might even be warmer since Belize is farther south.

I hate cold water too, and the water in the cave-tubing river is cold, but after the first shock, I didn't even notice it. We didn't see any snakes or other wildlife; I have read threads where people did see snakes.

Of course, you can always be unlucky and hit a cool spell, but normally it will be quite warm to hot there all year round.

We didn't see any snakes or other wildlife;

This was something that I noticed also. I watched for wildlife during the bus ride to the caves and found it strange that I saw nothing. :( No animals, no birds, nothing. We walked through the jungle and heard absolutely nothing. The only life that I saw was when we were nearing the coast and then I started seeing seabirds. I still don't understand it.:eek:

So much for the movies where birds call and monkeys chatter. This place was dead.

Did anyone else notice this or is it just me?

Archived