Baltics - Tux or Suit?

skandls

DH has a tux but our travel friend is planning on a suit. Are there more suits than tuxes on the Constellation's Baltic itineraries.? We have been doing shorter more casual cruises the last couple of years and I have noticed a definite 'downsize' in formal dress.

Please no flamers. I just want to know if I should encourage our friend to rent a tux rather than buy a suit. And your answers will help with my decision to pack suit or tux. DH will look good anyway. Black suit with vest and tie or all out wing collar (ok I so love the traditional) with diy bow tie.

And I would so love an excuse to by something really special - otherwise I am bringing my regular formal cruise wear. So vote for the tux.

OMG I must be a 'cruise-a-holic'. Cruises are addictive - and I am so happy to have found CruiseCritic. Stockholder Diamond/Elite crossover onboard next cruise booker. Save hundreds and cost thousands.

Dear Skandls:

I'm so happy to be the first to answer you since this has been a bone of contention with every cruise "we" take. The DH complains about the tux, would rather wear a suit? WHY. Is it not the same amount of clothes except for a vest? I think men unlike women need to fit in with the other guys. We women are comfortable in our own skin & dress for ouselves. He always takes the tux & when dressed prances like a proud peacock. We have been at tables where 3 out of 4 wore tux, some times all wore tux. The formal dress code definitely has lost something. I love to dress on cruises, I don't wear gowns but long outfits or very dressy pant outfits & feel great that night. If my table companions wish to go casual on formal night well that's their business. Let them feel out of place.

Tell the DH to go for it, don't back down because of friends but don't pressure them either. Hope my sermon helps.

Twojerseygirl

On the Connie TA last fall I would estimate 85 - 90% wore tux.

I did and plan to do so again on Baltic cruise this year.

Suggest that your friend consider tux rental through Celebrity. Our friends did so last year and found it very convenient and saved packing space.

I've got my next Baltic booked for July 2008...

Last time I did it (and for my Fjords cruise on Connie and my Millie Med cruise before that), even though I own my own tux, I rented one through the cruise line deal...

The problem was that for such a long cruise...and inasmuch as we typically do extensive pre- and post-cruise visits as well...and with the luggage size limitations--both practical and airline-imposed-- it was an easy way to free up room in the luggage...and not to deal with having my tux wrinkled and destroyed over the course of travel, packing and unpacking...

It's an EASY solution...

That said, I do find tuxes somewhat of a bother...

The problem is that there are far too many "pieces"--pants, jacket, special shirt, special shoes, cummerbund, half a dozen difficult little studs, cufflinks...and a very different type of tie than we're all used to...

For my upcoming two cruises (not on Celebrity), I'm considering leaving the tux at home and bringing a different "get-up" for what will be four formal nights: black or dark gray dress slacks, white or gray shirt, black "dinner jacket"-type sports coat, black slip-on tasseled loafers and a solid black silk tie...

I think the "look" will still appear very formal...but far fewer pieces to pack and assemble...

Now, this is certainly NOT "casual"...but, it's not a tux or even a suit...

What do you all think? Does it work?

I've got my next Baltic booked for July 2008...

For my upcoming two cruises (not on Celebrity), I'm considering leaving the tux at home and bringing a different "get-up" for what will be four formal nights: black or dark gray dress slacks, white or gray shirt, black "dinner jacket"-type sports coat, black slip-on tasseled loafers and a solid black silk tie...

I think the "look" will still appear very formal...but far fewer pieces to pack and assemble...

Now, this is certainly NOT "casual"...but, it's not a tux or even a suit...

What do you all think? Does it work?

I think this would be a terrific compromise and would work extremely well for your Caribbean and Panama cruises as they always seem to be slightly "less formal".

Personally, I would still hold to the tux for your 2008 Baltic cruise.

Have a great trip!:)

We took a Baltic Cruise with Princess last year, and my DH wore a tux, because I like the way he looks in it. There was about 70% in tuxes. I don't think you will feel over dressed if you take a tux. I think people, for the most part, in Europe like to dress up, so European cruises are more dressier than Caribbean. This is just my opinion. Have fun. Baltics are great.

We were on the Constellation to the Baltic in 04, the Millenium to the Med 05 and the Constellation to NE/Canada 06. In all 3 cases I would say less than half the men wore tuxedos.

All the men were dressed nicely even though a few wore sports jackets and slacks.

Archived