Tropical storm Barbara

alberta41

Has anyone have any information about Tropical storm Barbara off the Mexican west coast? I just caught alittle about last nite on our local weather but can't really find too much about it. How long do they sit out there in the ocean and do they cause much havoc if it is 700 miles from one of the ports? When does the ship redirect do they let passengers know before hand? Sorry for all the questions but figured it'd get some answers here...We are sailing on the Pride June 10th.

Tropical Storm Barbara festers near Mexico

10:31 a.m. ET 5/31/07

The Weather Channel

About 330 miles southeast of Acapulco, Mexico, Tropical Storm Barbara continues to remain generally stationary. It is forecast to slowly gain strength in the eastern Pacific. As of this morning, sustained winds remain at 45 mph. Barbara is forecast to make a gradual turn back to the north Friday into Saturday. The storm is forecast to become a hurricane as it threatens the southeast Mexician coast late this weekend or early next week.

Oh my....I've not heard anything about this yet...and I watch the TS's and hurricaines like a hawk (since that is our work).

Off to look for info...I'll post ya anything I find.

OH BTW, When we were on the Ecstacy last year (the one year anniversary of Katrina) there was a hurricaine on the East coast of Florida...Eduardo. On the ship, at every entrance, there was reports and maps of the progress. They did change up where we were going...we were to go to Cozemel first and then Progresso. We went to Progresso first...and the possibility of Cozemel being out. Eduardo changed course (up the Eastern Seaboard) and we did get to go to Cozemel....which was nice. They originally thought that Eduardo was going to be in the Gulf...but thank the heavens he decided NOT to bother us!!

Thankyou liv2jump. I will keep checking the Weather Channel. Bummer!!! I have heard that at times they will take the ship up north to Canada is that correct?

I believe they do that sometimes. Seems to me there was an RCI cruise a couple years ago out of NJ that was supposed to do a 5 day Bermuda. There was a TS or hurricane (don't remember which) so they did the tree hugger cruise instead. Imagine showing up at the pier in beachwear and then having to sail to Canada...:eek: :D

I know it'd be heartbreaking not to go to Mexico but being from Canada originally I'm o.k. with going there but am hoping that the storm is gone by the time we cruise because we really want to go to the Mexican ports. Am looking forward to nice warm weather. Being from Canada it's not so warm there and we have stoppped at Victoria 2x times in the past 4 years, but my 18 yo said it didn't matter to him because the drinking age in Canada is 18!! Go figure!!!

Thaks for the info gigem85. I'll just be watching. I don't think that they hang around for a long time do they. I'm an optimist for sure and am thinking it'll be over with by the time we set said. It's 9 days away!!!

Iv been out driving in winds more than 45 mph, that isnt anything to worry about. Generally for the winds to pick up to hurricane strength, the water has to be warm below the storm. Its so early in the year, the water is not warm enough generally for the winds to pick up to hurricane strength, so Id say 0 chance of being diverted to Canada.

Iv been thru hurricanes when I lived in Florida, not talking off the top of my head. The reason you have more to fear in September is by then the ocean water is warmer so the winds can gain strength. If you have been cruising during the summer and the winter, you know the ocean water is much cooler in the winter, thats why no hurricanes then.

I know it'd be heartbreaking not to go to Mexico but being from Canada originally I'm o.k. with going there but am hoping that the storm is gone by the time we cruise because we really want to go to the Mexican ports. Am looking forward to nice warm weather. Being from Canada it's not so warm there and we have stoppped at Victoria 2x times in the past 4 years, but my 18 yo said it didn't matter to him because the drinking age in Canada is 18!! Go figure!!!

Just an FYI for you & your son... The legal drinking age in Canada depends on the Province. It's 18 for Alberta, Manitoba & Quebec...19 for all other Provinces, including British Columbia where any west coast cruise ships would be...

Thaks for the info gigem85. I'll just be watching. I don't think that they hang around for a long time do they. I'm an optimist for sure and am thinking it'll be over with by the time we set said. It's 9 days away!!!

Karen, doesn't look to become more than a tropical storm at best. And even then looks like it is south of Acapulco, which is considerably south of Puerta Vallarta, so you shouldn't have any problems.

Enjoy your cruise. :)

Thanks for all of the replies. Feel so much better. I know absolutly nothing about hurricanes and Tropical storms that's why I posted. I also did not know about the drinking ages being different in each province. Having been born and raised in Alberta I just figured it was 18 all the way across the board. Well I don't think there are any worries. Thank you all for reassuring me.

I am from Canada and the drinking age is 19, not 18.

Amber2007 When did they change the drinking age to 19 because when we were in Alberta 2 years ago my nephew who had just turned 18 was able to drink? I'm glad that it's gone up but that must of just been within the last couple of years.

Freaking out here!! Of course that is a typical reaction for me!! We leave June 11 on the ecstasy going to coz and progresso, don't want to have it ruined by left over rain or rough seas!!! My DH says nothing to worry about, its on the other side of mexico, chill out he says. ALot can change till june 11 and it will probably be all gone!!I hope so!! I am ready to start packing!!!!

11 days to go-WHOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

It looks like TS Barbara has calmed down abit which is great news....Randykaye don't freak out it'll be alright. You are going on the opposite side and even if there are winds take your sea sick pills and have a great time!!! We have 9 days to go but first have to get through son's graduation tonite and party on Saturday and then I'll focus on packing!!!

but my 18 yo said it didn't matter to him because the drinking age in Canada is 18!! Go figure!!!

I hate to burst your 18 year old's bubble of joy but the drinking age in Canada is 19 (only in the province of Quebec is the drinkig age 18). Sorry!! :(

My girls are on on a cruise to Cozumel from Mobile and they said yesterday at sea was the roughest day they had ever been on. They have sailed about 5 times each before, so it is not new to them. Said the ship was really rocking and a lot of their friends were seasick. I thought it might be back winds from Barry and that today would be better in Cozumel. But now it looks from the maps like the rain from Barbara might get them. Am I looking at the maps right that it could just go across Mexico to Cozumel?

Archived